Safe driving: what's in your trunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read Car Talk's list of things they recommend keeping in your car for emergencies and what-not. Here's their list (without the commentary):

Heavy-duty jumper cables
Tire gauge (dial-type)
Triangular folding reflector
Fix-a-Flat
Gas-O-Haul emergency gas carrier
Vice-Grip straight-jaw
Mechanic's wire (for reattaching and wiring things up)
Duct tape
4-in-1 screwdriver
Flashlight/lantern
Generator light (with the hand crank)
First aid kit
Mylar space blanket
Oil rags
Gojo hand cleaner
Safety glasses

What's everyone else have? Any other cool tips, tricks, or advice on what to carry and how to store it? For me, the obvious thing missing is an automotive tool kit, which I always keep in all of my cars. One of those with a little bit of everything you might need for typical car breakdowns or quick fixes. Also, it might be a good idea to carry some of the more critical fluids, like motor oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, antifreeze mix, or the like if you think there's any chance your car might need something. Of course, too much junk just adds weight and decreases fuel economy and usable space.

I keep an extra quart of oil with me, along with a funnel and my gas treatment stuff. I also have a folding reflective triangle, oil rag, and jumper cables. I think it would also be a good idea to have a pair of mechanix gloves or something similar with you in case you have to go under the hood when things are hot, you won't burn your hands
smile.gif

I keep it in my Acura trunk organizer I ordered from Acura. It's not the greatest though, it's a bit small and the walls aren't very sturdy, but I like how it says Acura on it
smile.gif

Throw a Crescent wrench in there so you don't have to Vise-Grip any nuts or bolts.

My buddy carries paper coveralls with him. Those don't weigh anything or take up any space and might come in handy. Not a bad idea.

I have to give Eatmore bars credit for giving me the energy to spend 3 hours shoveling myself out of a ditch in a remote area late one night. So, I now always keep some non-perishable high-energy snacks in the trunk.

I have:
-Quart of oil
-4 L washer fluid
-Axe
-2 tennis racquets
-9 tennis balls
-Pair of sneakers
-Duct tape
-Silicon lube
-Allen key set
-204-piece tool set
-12 assorted fuses
-Fire extinguisher
-Impact wrench
-3 torque wrenches (small, medium, big)
-2 recovery straps
-4 tie-down straps
-Extension cord
-2 plug-in worklights (fluorescent and incandescent)
-3 flashlights, one of them battery-free
-12 L of water
-Blanket
-3 pillows
-12 cotton rags
-Air compressor/pump
-2 tire gauges
-Battery booster pack
-Breaker bar
-1/2" socket set
-Impact socket set
-Crows foot socket set
-'Miner style' strap-on headlight
-Reflective vest
-Hard hat
-12 V heater
-Respirator
-3 pairs of safety glasses (clear, dark, amber)
-Toronto TTC subway schematics
-Air Canada Centre blueprints
-Subway operator rule book
-Fishing equipment
-3 bowie knives
-Chain cutter
-And depending on my mood, a sawzall and/or heat gun

I guess I'm still missing
-Triangular folding reflector
-Fix-a-Flat
-Gas-O-Haul emergency gas carrier
-Vice-Grip straight-jaw
-Mechanic's wire (for reattaching and wiring things up)
-First aid kit
-Gojo hand cleaner

Dang, I thought I had everything covered.

- jumper cables
- tire gauge (dial-type)
- reflective triangle
- tire plugs and patches
- small jerry can (plastic)
- flashlight
- space blanket
- rags
- hand cleaner
- safety glasses
- disposable gloves
- work gloves
- coolant, water, oil
- pretty comprehensive tool kit, including gas soldering iron
- diagnostic tool (laptop + interface)
- foot pump
- spare parts (fuses, bulbs, relays, spark plugs)
- compact GPS
- AM/FM receiver
- cb radio
- collapsible shovel
- collapsible wood and metal saw
- water purifying kit
- one week survival kit (for two)
- medipack
- klaxon
- two large tarps
- one large net
- rope
- Betsy

Last edited:
Lots of good stuff in this post!
Basic hand tools (Crescent wrench at a minimum)
Duct Tape
Tire Air gauge.
1L oil.
Water (It freezes in winter though). Water is better than coolant because you can put it in the rad or drink it if stranded or use as washer fluid or clean your hands.
Shovel to dig out.
Winter survival kit (candle, food & clothes minimum)
I keep a sheet of cardboard on the trunk floor. You can set it on the ground and not get dirtied up getting under the car.
Set of coveralls, doubles as extra clothes for winter.
Gloves
Good Flashlight, like the built in charger idea.
Hand wipe or cleaner, or a 2nd set of gloves to keep the car clean from your dirty hands.
Cell phone, money or credit card to pay for a tow or repair.
Any specific parts that may be prone on your car and special tools to due the repair.

I guess I should have listed the factory jack and the factory wheel bolt wrench. Much of the stuff I have in my trunk I keep in the (full size) spare wheel under the trunk liner. The other stuff is in the cubby hole on the passenger side and in an ABS locker. Getting my spare wheel out requires some heavy lifting...

I second the bodybags.

I carry jumper cables, battery recharger through cig lighter, fix a flat, small portable air compressor, tire repair kit.

Jump starter (self-contained with its own battery), flashlight, toolkit, wire, connectors, oil, chains, rhino ramps (dunno why they're still back there), hydraulic jack, can of seafoam, bottle of A-Rx, some other stuff that I can't remember off the top of my head.

All of those survival kit tools take up a lot of space and add a lot of weight to your vehicle. Chances are, you'll never need them. I know - I packed the kitchen sink in my 20 year old Toyota, but never ended up needing any of that stuff for a roadside emergency.

Hi-vis vest, or blaze orange hunting jacket, to wake up the other drivers before they run you over, in case you have to walk for help, or do a tire change yourself.

My jumper cables broke, and I never got around to buying new ones.
Other wise, I have
quart of ATF
quart of oil
Orange reflective jacket
Flares
Rags
Fuses
Fire extinguisher
Donut spare found a new home in a dumpster, now it has a full size spare.
smile.gif

The most recent addition to our family's trunks: a 2'x2'x1" section of plywood.

In the event we ever have a problem and are in need of a jack, this should spread the load and make the jack usuable on soft ground (where most folks end up in my casual observation while commuting). I traced the outline of the jack and wrote DO NOT REMOVE on the piece in my wifes van so she didn't forget why it's there and toss it out
ooo.gif

In my center console I keep a safety hammer/seat belt cutter and a surefire flashlight. That's about it (phone & AAA card are always on my person).

Add some tampons and maxipads to your first aid kit. I carried tampons and pads in my patrol car in the event I got shot or had to plug someone elses gunshot wound. Pads are sanitary and absorb a lot of blood in case of accident injuries. Never had to use mine thankfully.

Wow, that is a lot of preparedness! Interesting. What amazes me is how seldom it is needed nowadays. I usually pack extra for a trip, like a toolbox, qt of oil, but can't remember ever using it. Maybe in the old days when driving a junker. I'm a bit of a fatalist, i.e., what I forget to pack is what I'll need....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back