Emergency equipment in the trunk

I just use my phone as a flashlight. It's not the best, but it works and I don't have to get batteries for one more thing
It’s a terrible flashlight but better than nothing, I guess.

You can get one of these with a rechargeable battery.

It puts out about a hundred times more light than a phone. It’s actually useful.

Not expensive. Very small.

I’ve stopped carrying that much, too urban of an area around here. As long as I dress for the weather, its a small hike to get cell reception, and then I’m set. I like the idea of being prepared, but it just seems unnecessary for my jaunts.

I have what I'd consider a well-honed tool/parts kit in the MG with the following:

1. 2x 1/2" combination wrenches
2. 7/16" combination wrench
3. 9/16" combination
4. Small crescent wrench
5. Flathead screwdriver
6. #2 Posi screwdriver
7. Feeler gauge set
8. Points file
9. DMM
10. Test light
11. Inline ignition tester
12. Needle nose pliers
13. Slip joint pliers
14. Channel locks

I also keep a few spare parts. Experience has told me that the most common, repairable on the road issues are ignition related. I use to carry a spare cap, rotor, and set of points but now just keep a known good spare distributor complete with wires along with a spare coil. If the issue can't be solved with the points file, it's a lot easier to just swap the distributor and sort the exact issue when I get home. I keep a few pieces of fuel hose and hose clamps. Everyone told me to always carry a spare fuel pump(a cheapie that would get me home) but I've never needed it. I do have a single spark plug rolling around in there as it's a handy tool for spark testing.

All of the tools are in one cheap/freebie tool bag, and the parts in a second. Both fit nicely in the middle of the spare tire(turned upside down). There's a fan belt or two kicking around in there too-one was there when I bought the car, the other from when I replaced it just because. Even if I wouldn't want to run one of the old ones long-term, they'd get me to a parts store that would almost certainly have the belt in stock(I have the Gates p/n for the belt just in case).

I quit carrying a full set of wrenches a long time ago. I need 7/16 to change the distributor and 1/2" for almost everything else(hence there being two of them). I could honestly ditch the 9/16 completely, but it also doesn't take up much space. The crescent wrench covers everything else, like if I need to take the valve cover off.

If I can't fix it with the above tools, it's probably not(realistically) fixable on the side of the road. In now 8 years of ownership, I've had exactly one two, and that was after the radiator ended up with a gash(there's a story there). Needless to say, there was no fixing that since I have no intention of carrying a spare radiator in my trunk. I've thought about carrying hoses, but don't want to deal with eating up even more of the limited trunk space with water and/or coolant. If something coolant related happened, I have pretty good tow coverage through Hagerty(guaranteed flatbed, I forget the distance but plenty to cover where I'm driving 99% of the time) and I'd just suck it up and do it.

If I thought I needed to carry a spare fuel pump , distributor , ignition tester , etc. I probably wouldn't drive the car more than a few miles from home . Seriously .

If I thought I needed to carry a spare fuel pump , distributor , ignition tester , etc. I probably wouldn't drive the car more than a few miles from home . Seriously .
This reminds me of a story my boss (at the time) told. One of his friends worked in northern Alberta and wanted to take a trip home to Newfoundland. It's a very long way (6,000 km) through many sparsely populated areas and he wanted to drive. His vehicle was running fine but getting old. So he decided to stock up on the many parts that could go wrong and the supplies he might need on a long trip. Things like a water pump, starter, alternator, ignition coil, hoses, belts, motor oil, coolant, etc. And tools, lots of tools.

Seems the vehicle took exception to this lack of confidence and regularly over the whole trip used up all (or at least most) of the spare parts and supplies he was carrying. It would have been cheaper to have flown, but not nearly the adventure.

On a somewhat related note, I would recommend Steinbeck’s, “Travels with Charley: In Search of America”.

Compact lithium jump starter, portable tire pump, that’s it. On the Volt there is really nothing I could see myself fixing on the side of the road.

I did buy a full size used wheel and tire and keep it in the garage. If I have a tire problem that I can’t fix by adding air I will have the vehicle towed home and swap the problem wheel/tire myself. No sense dragging around a spare IMO. I have AAA and a tow won’t cost me anything. I don’t stray more than 100 miles from home often.

I do keep some bottled water handy.

I did buy a full size used wheel and tire and keep it in the garage.
I keep a full set on hand, does that count? :) Makes tire rotations a snap. Sorta... jack one axle up, install a pair, then go to the other axle, swap on, then go back. Bit tedious I guess. But since the spares are snows they are their for the purpose.

I do keep some bottled water handy.
I used to do that, but water bakes in the trunk in the summer--and freezes in the winter. Don't do that anymore. But now that's all the norm to carry around a water bottle, I usually have one with me, just not in the trunk.

Ever since my car decided to randomly kill the battery I did give in and get a jump pack, the smallest one I could find, no idea how well it'd actually work.

I did buy a full size used wheel and tire and keep it in the garage. If I have a tire problem that I can’t fix by adding air I will have the vehicle towed home and swap the problem wheel/tire myself. No sense dragging around a spare IMO. I have AAA and a tow won’t cost me anything. I don’t stray more than 100 miles from home often.
The reason I carried a spare wheel for the Tesla on that long trip is I couldn't imagine finding a matching tire anywhere along the roads we travel (except at the major centers 3 - 500 km apart). Yes the CAA would haul us to a nearby tire store but it would be a day or more before they had a matching tire. So better to carry a spare wheel that could be put on.

We don't carry a spare tire locally either.

Flashlights, first aid kit, shovel and snow scraper, basic hand tools, tow straps, a couple of knives and multi-tools, hose repair tape, gas can, and a fix a flat type tire inflator kit.

To add:

Emergency blanket for you/occupants
Tarp if you have to get on the ground for repairs (I have poncho that doubles as this)
Jumper cables
Tow straps
Electrical tape
Portable battery jumper
Reflective vest

I keep all the above plus what you have, minus first aid kit, in the spare wheel compartment.
I’m pretty well equipped in the Rubicon going remote often - and have been reading along looking for additions …
That bright vest is smart - I have an extra …

Reactions: Pew
This went in before the shovels, tools, straps, chain - and human performance gear …

IMG_4974.jpeg

I have what I'd consider a well-honed tool/parts kit in the MG with the following:

1. 2x 1/2" combination wrenches
2. 7/16" combination wrench
3. 9/16" combination
4. Small crescent wrench
5. Flathead screwdriver
6. #2 Posi screwdriver
7. Feeler gauge set
8. Points file
9. DMM
10. Test light
11. Inline ignition tester
12. Needle nose pliers
13. Slip joint pliers
14. Channel locks

I also keep a few spare parts. Experience has told me that the most common, repairable on the road issues are ignition related. I use to carry a spare cap, rotor, and set of points but now just keep a known good spare distributor complete with wires along with a spare coil. If the issue can't be solved with the points file, it's a lot easier to just swap the distributor and sort the exact issue when I get home. I keep a few pieces of fuel hose and hose clamps. Everyone told me to always carry a spare fuel pump(a cheapie that would get me home) but I've never needed it. I do have a single spark plug rolling around in there as it's a handy tool for spark testing.

All of the tools are in one cheap/freebie tool bag, and the parts in a second. Both fit nicely in the middle of the spare tire(turned upside down). There's a fan belt or two kicking around in there too-one was there when I bought the car, the other from when I replaced it just because. Even if I wouldn't want to run one of the old ones long-term, they'd get me to a parts store that would almost certainly have the belt in stock(I have the Gates p/n for the belt just in case).

I quit carrying a full set of wrenches a long time ago. I need 7/16 to change the distributor and 1/2" for almost everything else(hence there being two of them). I could honestly ditch the 9/16 completely, but it also doesn't take up much space. The crescent wrench covers everything else, like if I need to take the valve cover off.

If I can't fix it with the above tools, it's probably not(realistically) fixable on the side of the road. In now 8 years of ownership, I've had exactly one two, and that was after the radiator ended up with a gash(there's a story there). Needless to say, there was no fixing that since I have no intention of carrying a spare radiator in my trunk. I've thought about carrying hoses, but don't want to deal with eating up even more of the limited trunk space with water and/or coolant. If something coolant related happened, I have pretty good tow coverage through Hagerty(guaranteed flatbed, I forget the distance but plenty to cover where I'm driving 99% of the time) and I'd just suck it up and do it.
When we regularly used our MGB Tourer to actually drive long distances it was surprisingly reliable as well as very comfortable.
Limited trunk space, though.
For the ignition system I have one word. Luminition.

When we regularly used our MGB Tourer to actually drive long distances it was surprisingly reliable as well as very comfortable.
Limited trunk space, though.
For the ignition system I have one word. Luminition.
To be honest, I've found that the more I drive it, the more reliable it becomes. I've had times where it was a near daily for me for a month or more just because the weather was nice, and those were the times when I could basically count on it to just be able to jump in and go anywhere.

Back in my single days, when I first bought the car, in the nicer months a nightly cruise to wherever the mood struck was a several times a week ritual. Issues were few and far between, unless for whatever reason I ventured very far on that accursed stretch of road known as I-71 between Louisville and Cincinatti. In all seriousness, I drove a decent distance there twice. The first time was a spur of the moment evening drive to Madison, Indiana. I went there on the back roads in Indiana, but it was getting dark and late and decided to hop across the river at Madison and come home on the interstate. About 20 miles from home, the ignition condenser(I later figured out) decided it was a good time to start going out, and I just managed to limp it home. The second time, I was going to a friend's house north of Cincy to work on it for the weekend. I was in stop and go traffic at about 8:00 at night where 71 merges into 75, and one of the carb floats or needle valves decided to get sticky. It was fine as long as I was moving, but kept flooding out and dying any time I stopped for any length of time. I pulled over a few times to whack both carb float bowls with a screwdriver handle, but that was a temporary fix. I made it, though.

I made the mistake in 2020 of having someone else who should have known what they were doing rebuild the engine rather than doing it myself. In that time I also got married, changed jobs, and moved 300 miles. The shop drug their feet telling me they couldn't get it to run right, and I finally told them to just give it to me how it was January 2021. I drove it to my parents house across town, barely making it up to 25(and my wife following me panicking because we were going so slow) only to get there and find the plug wires hooked up wrong :rolleyes: . I spent the next morning tuning it, then hopped in that afternoon for the 300 mile drive home without an issue.

I've spent the time since fixing all the little things they did wrong, and never being fully satisfied with how it was running. I suspected a cam timing issue, but of course getting to the timing chain with the engine in the car is a bit of a process. I'd started working on it in January, then the baby decided to make a bit of an early arrival and time has been scarce since then. Just about a week ago, I was able to finally pull the timing chain cover and found an un-deployed chain tensioner. Even though the chain is new and tight, there's still some slack in it and I suspect that the cam timing "wandering" explains some of what I've had issues with. Now I just need to finish buttoning it back up. I hopefully also fixed the timing cover oil leak that has been there since I got it back. I have another over around the oil filter side of the engine, and I suspect that they likely didn't get out the old O-ring between the block and the filter adapter.

Hopefully I can get it back on the road before the weather turns too cold...

BTW, I ran a Pertronix for a while, but now am back to points with a Winterburn CDI ignition module. The points just serve to trigger the module, and should last as long as the rubbing block will hold up since they aren't subject to the high voltage arcing in a Kettering-type points system. I've been happy with it, and it has been reliable.

unless for whatever reason I ventured very far on that accursed stretch of road known as I-71 between Louisville and Cincinatti.
Got a speeding ticket on I-71 on that very stretch of road in Warsaw KY on the way to a derby party with wife.
Speed limit was still 55 mph then and I had the MG on 4000 revs in fourth direct.
You know what that means.

Got a speeding ticket on I-71 on that very stretch of road in Warsaw KY on the way to a derby party with wife.
Speed limit was still 55 mph then and I had the MG on 4000 revs in fourth direct.
You know what that means.
72mph if you were on the stock tires :)

I drove my car well over a year before I had a functioning speedometer, and at the best of times don't necessarily put the most trust in it. The tach is reliable, though, and I think it's prudent to know at least what 55, 70, and a few other speeds are in 4th direct. Having OD has thrown off my calibration a bit, as now that's 3200 for 70mph instead of 4000.

On the trip home with the rebuilt engine, I was also still getting use to having OD and the engine felt different at different speeds than I was use to(if that makes sense). I also didn't have a working speedo at the time(item #542 I had to fix after getting it back from the shop-it was a flat spotted speedo driven gear in the transmission). My wife was following me the whole way, and somewhere along on the nice, wide open boring stretches of road on I-64 in south eastern Illinois I forgot I was in OD, noticed that I was "only" doing 3400rpms, and started working my speed up. I'd made it to 3800 and my wife called(she was behind me quite a ways) and asked me what on earth I thought I was doing going 85 in that car and especially there...even with all the issues it sure was running nice, but I also should have known better considering that the only speeding ticket I've had in my life was on that road.

Amazon trunk organizer in my Sportwagen.

First aid kit, CPR mask
Blanket
Air pressure gauge
Auto cleaning wipes, microfiber towels, window cleaner
Paper towels
Barf bags
Bottle of water, Cliff Bar
Fares
tape, zip ties
Fire extinguisher
Work gloves
Flashlight
Leatherman
Sunblock
Wipes
Beach towel
Ratchet strap
Ear plugs
2-way radios (for car cruises)
Dramamine
Hand sanitizer
Nitrile gloves
Reading glasses
Spare sunglasses
Space pen/note pad
Hazard triangle
Battery jump box

Basically anything I may need for a child's activity/sporting event, concert, emergency situation, track event, etc. etc.

Need to add a few more things namely a small 12V air compressor and a folding shovel. EDIT - Amazon...ordered/on the way. Be prepared or be screwed.

20231008_131956.jpg

Last edited:
Back