What features have gone away (that you would like to keep)

My cars are all gently aged, ok, OLD, AS DIRT!! But I still love them, literally.

Being from the mid 2000s, both of our non SUVs have trunks that use gas struts.

I think this is an advantage in eliminating arms, therefore increasing space.

The 4 door has a 20 cu ft trunk--I don't think many, if any, sedans have a trunk this large today.

I recently (last week) replaced the gas struts which cost < $9 each on rockauto (lifetime warranty, not of any use?)--not bad if they will last 7 years (the last time I replaced them). Of course, Toyota has them for $75.82 each, list price, hardly worth it for OE.

My hunch is it's cheaper to have spring arms, and, with such, it's possible to have a power pull down (still is with struts, but the motion is funny when the trunk has struts imho). I would like to keep this design in a modern car that has a trunk.

What features do you wish were still offered in 2023?

(the yellow electrical tape is my replacement of the XM antenna--the port did a super neat job in fall 2005, where there is a rubber piece that the antenna wire passes through, so as not to get pinched. I had to notch it for mine. imho BMW does a neater job of wiring to the trunk lid--no more splitters available, so I don't have any metadata and "antenna" still flashes, but XM works--have lifetime it seems)

IMG-8505.jpg

Way too many controls on the turn signal now a days. Front wipers, rear wipers, front washers, rear washers, high beams, cruise control on/off. Name it. The things got so much crap on it, that it looks like the center console on a 747.

My 91 Ford has a turn signal control that is a single, threaded metal rod with a small plastic handle, that screws into the steering column. It does one thing....... Operate the turn signals.

Way too many controls on the turn signal now a days. Front wipers, rear wipers, front washers, rear washers, high beams, cruise control on/off. Name it. The things got so much crap on it, that it looks like the center console on a 747.

My 91 Ford has a turn signal control that is a single, threaded metal rod with a small plastic handle, that screws into the steering column. It does one thing....... Operate the turn signals.
Interestingly, the Japanese car in our household has the headlamps on the turn signal--I really don't like that. When the lights are in auto, the turn signal is flat--I like that feeling tactically, but I don't want my headlamps in auto.

The other two cars have their headlamp switches on the dash, which I prefer. I agree with you, I'm not against all the features, but don't feel they need to be on a stalk nor even the steering wheel itself.

I'm not sure where it came about that cruise needs to be powered on--our 2007 German car does not have a power switch for cruise, it's on when the car is on. If I'm not mistaken, the newer German cars also have a on/off switch.

The 4 door has a 20 cu ft trunk--I don't think many, if any, sedans have a trunk this large today.

I recently (last week) replaced the gas struts which cost < $9 each on rockauto (lifetime warranty, not of any use?)--not bad if they will last 7 years (the last time I replaced them). Of course, Toyota has them for $75.82 each, list price, hardly worth it for OE.

My hunch is it's cheaper to have spring arms, and, with such, it's possible to have a power pull down (still is with struts, but the motion is funny when the trunk has struts imho). I would like to keep this design in a modern car that has a trunk.

(the yellow electrical tape is my replacement of the XM antenna--the port did a super neat job in fall 2005, where there is a rubber piece that the antenna wire passes through, so as not to get pinched. I had to notch it for mine. imho BMW does a neater job of wiring to the trunk lid--no more splitters available, so I don't have any metadata and "antenna" still flashes, but XM works--have lifetime it seems)
No need to guess:

I still like the basics. If any of my newer cars didn’t have some of the standard features, I wouldn’t miss them. There are many features in my car I don’t even use. And my car doesn’t even have what is available in many other cars or in the other trim line that I didn’t get.

I buy a vehicle for its bones, its comfort, outward visibility, space etc. I like features in my car too but infotainment system isn’t necessarily one of them. I think many of the infotainment systems are way too convoluted. I don’t always buy a car for its superior driving dynamics, as long as the dynamics are decent I’m happy. Buying a vehicle to heavily focused on driving dynamics gives up too much of the everyday-ness that I desire.

I am getting to the age where I am starting to want, maybe even need the safety sense that companies offer in their vehicles. It’s just something that happens with age, ha ha! Beyond that, everything else is just fluff to me.

My cars are all gently aged, ok, OLD, AS DIRT!! But I still love them, literally.

Being from the mid 2000s, both of our non SUVs have trunks that use gas struts.

I think this is an advantage in eliminating arms, therefore increasing space.

View attachment 160620
# 1 would be reliability.

Port injection and a manual gearbox. Keep the computer screens for the kids and give me functional and clear analog gauges. Front engine, rear drive. Above all else,,, keep it repairable by the owner. The need to remove the engine to replace a water pump is nothing but sadistic.

A good friend of mine wrote a song about this and here's just a small snippet from the lyrics. Maybe you know where I'm going with this:

"I wish a Ford and a Chevy would still last ten years
Like they should
Is the best of the free life behind us now?
And are the good times really over for good?"

Port injection and a manual gearbox. Keep the computer screens for the kids and give me functional and clear analog gauges. Front engine, rear drive. Above all else,,, keep it repairable by the owner. The need to remove the engine to replace a water pump is nothing but sadistic.

A good friend of mine wrote a song about this and here's just a small snippet from the lyrics. Maybe you know where I'm going with this:

"I wish a Ford and a Chevy would still last ten years
Like they should
Is the best of the free life behind us now?
And are the good times really over for good?"
Guy said a Honda Civic Sport he bought is like that, without the rwd. He wanted stick, no direct injection, no turbo. He felt this gave the car a chance to go 200k+ miles like the Civic he was replacing…

How about the big exterior windshield visors. Like the kind Gene Hackman's car had in the movie, "Hoosiers".... And don't forget the spinner on the steering wheel.
Peterbilt 389s (new) still have those visors.

How about wire wheel baskets? I loved them as a kid. My parents never had a car with them, however.

Direct injection, CVT, and 4 catalytic converters are not the manufacturer's choice. Gotta look at what (who) is driving these decisions.

● Get rid of ALL screens in the vehicle

● Knobs for air temperature, direction, and fan speed....3 knobs

● The option to have no options.

● Manual transmission, cruise, A/C, and power locks would be the ideal combo

● A key, a real metal key

Direct injection, CVT, and 4 catalytic converters are not the manufacturer's choice. Gotta look at what (who) is driving these decisions.

● Get rid of ALL screens in the vehicle

● Knobs for air temperature, direction, and fan speed....3 knobs

● The option to have no options.

● Manual transmission, cruise, A/C, and power locks would be the ideal combo

● A key, a real metal key
I would add, a credit when options are deleted.

Marketing has labeled the deletion of features as, “Zero cost options.” Kind of the same as swindling someone…

Ps long ago I had wondered what happens when on cruise and clutch is pressed.

On my Maxima cruise was cancelled. On my 335i throttle is removed until clutch released. Both different outcomes of the clutch being pressed.

On my Volvo (or maybe it was the Toyota Solara - both of which had manual transmissions) the engine revved like crazy if you were coming to a stop with the cruise still on. You soon learned not to do that.

Wasn't a problem on the BMW or the Accord (both of which have manual transmissions too).

I would add, a credit when options are deleted.

Marketing has labeled the deletion of features as, “Zero cost options.” Kind of the same as swindling someone…

On my Maxima cruise was cancelled. On my 335i throttle is removed until clutch released. Both different outcomes of the clutch being pressed.
My 03 passat (only vehicle with factory cruise and a manual) the clutch and brake pedal switches acted the same. Depressing either pedal just canceled the cruise. Could just press "resume" after.

On my Volvo (or maybe it was the Toyota Solara - both of which had manual transmissions) the engine revved like crazy if you were coming to a stop with the cruise still on. You soon learned not to do that.

Wasn't a problem on the BMW or the Accord (both of which have manual transmissions too).
I had 3 Volvos and I don’t think the 4 spd manual had cruise. The other 2 both cruise and AC no longer worked. Used to dream of a P1800. I have watched that guy David Bello on YouTube and his Volvo vlogs and it rekindles something with all the Volvos

A key, a real metal key
Boy are those nice. I get it, they wear out, the switch can break, but for a handful of dollars everyone in the family can have a copy.

Sure it is nice to get into my wifes car and just push the button. But where do I carry the fob? if I put it onto my key chain, it will just get scratched up. As a result, its the only car I own that I don’t carry the key for on a regular basis. Old school flat metal keys take up the least space, and get a well earned patina as the years go by.

Back