Router for decent $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I have had great luck with Linksys routers. No dropped connection issues after I set the DNS server addresses up manually in the router.

Tigerdirect and Newegg have great prices.

Can someone explain about this DNS server manual entry business?

I notice that whenever my connection drops off and I use Vista to try and negotiate it again so it will work, it will often say, "Windows is diagnosing problem..." then it says, "Cannot communicate with primary DNS server".

All the while my connection icon is active and windows tells me that my wireless connection is good to go.

There were some (known) issues between Linksys routers and Vista. A lot of it had to do with UPNP, but another was due to Linksys's implementation of SPI.

There are supposed to be firmware upgrades for all Linksys models affected.

If you run DD-WRT or Tomato, you shouldn't have the issue period.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I have had great luck with Linksys routers. No dropped connection issues after I set the DNS server addresses up manually in the router.

Tigerdirect and Newegg have great prices.

Can someone explain about this DNS server manual entry business?

I notice that whenever my connection drops off and I use Vista to try and negotiate it again so it will work, it will often say, "Windows is diagnosing problem..." then it says, "Cannot communicate with primary DNS server".

All the while my connection icon is active and windows tells me that my wireless connection is good to go.

There were some (known) issues between Linksys routers and Vista. A lot of it had to do with UPNP, but another was due to Linksys's implementation of SPI.

There are supposed to be firmware upgrades for all Linksys models affected.

If you run DD-WRT or Tomato, you shouldn't have the issue period.

The DD-WRT is Greek to me, but I understand what a firmware upgrade/flash is and I will do that posthaste.

Thanks for the tip!
banana2.gif

I have an old Linksys WRT54GS that is probably 5 years old.

Works absolutely fine.

I have had netgear routers die on me within one year.

I have been replacing routers for some of my customers with a $29 Belkin Wireless G router from Walmart.

These are the type of people that don't want to hack the router, just use it for WIFI in the house.

The $29 Belkins are GREAT.. I have yet to play with an N setup, and for most applications it is not necessary..

Netgear is junk.
D-Link is junk.
SMC is junk.

I've had to replace too many linksys routers to call them "good". But they are better than the above three.

I replaced a Belkin for a client with an ASUS WL-500W (best range of the ASUS series) a few months ago. Belkin was randomly locking up (N-speed unit).

N is the closest thing to 100Mbit Ethernet you can get for wireless.

I host a LAN party here almost every weekend, there are a pile of us all running off my DD-WRT-equipped (latest NEWD2 MEGA release) WL-500W. We transfer ISO's to each other to run in Daemon Tools and the like. Scenarios like this are where N shines.

Sorry I mis-spoke earlier. I actually used the settings here to set mine up.

router.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
so what does Tomato do?

It, like DD-WRT and OpenWRT are all "aftermarket" firmware products for Broadcom (primarily) based routers.

Depending on the flash ROM size on the router, determines what "release" you can run. For example, my WL-500W has an 8MB Flash, so I can run the "MEGA" release of DD-WRT, which includes OpenVPN and a host of other features.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with OVERK1LL on those router brands listed above are absolute junk. I do alot of computer work on the side and I have had nothing but problems with those brands.

I actually took my old problematic D-Link router which I replaced 3 times under warranty, to my back yard and smashed it to pieces like in the Movie Office Space because I was so PO-ed at it.
grin2.gif

Then I bought the Asus and never looked back and never had high blood pressure again!
LOL.gif

I actually bought a TL-Link router from newegg for $20. I was looking for a cheap wireless G to replace my old Linksys B. It's been working great, easy to setup with no stupid windows only software. I looked into a linux router, but they were too spendy.

Yep, Modem to router then each computer (most routers have 4 RJ45 ports) so 4 wired computers to the router can get the internet plus the home network (share files and printers)

The wireless can handle many many more.

I'd be more inclined to use this --> ASUS router

The one you selected above I don't know much about.

I still like my Linksys. DOn't have to worry about it and it runs 24/7 365 days without a reboot on a VERY FAST fiber line with never a problem. My Vonage, wireless and wired all work great.

But I'm sure the ASUS is a top notch product. The guys here like it alot! (And that means its good to go)

Bill

The WL-330GE shines as an ethernet to wireless adaptor for things like printers. I wouldn't use it as a router.

The model that Bill pointed out, which I believe I brought up earlier in this thread, the WL-520GU is a VERY solid unit, I have had ZERO failures with this model. Great little device, and it will run DD-WRT if you are ever feeling adventurous.

Thanks guys for your informative dialog. Even if some of it is a bit over my head. But I do understand 95% of it.

I thought that model I was looking at did not seem right. Now it all makes sense. It is not a full featured router.....got it.

I will check out the 520GU.

Just read one review, and guess what internet I have Comcast cable.....As long as I don't need a degree to change it I guess I am OK?

Rating + 3 Upgrade Firmware First!!!!

Pros: Works great! ....Now

Cons: It hates Comcast Cable

Other Thoughts: If you are using Comcast, do yourself a favor and upgrade the firmware to use "Tomato". You'll save yourself alot of headaches [color:#FFFF66][/color]

Last edited:
Not enough detail to determine what the actual issue with Comcast was. Possibly the person just didn't know how to configure it correctly. The reviews are generally very positive on this device, so I wouldn't worry about it.

hmm....tomato looks a bit less intimidating for some reason...
the steps are pretty much the same though...
idk..perhaps it's the name :)

thanks, QP

DD-WRT is fine... I walked my friend who has no computer knowledge how to do his over the phone. If it were hard this would be less than impossible IMO.

Just about any Netgear, Linksys, Dlink... router will be fine.
Since both of my laptops support "N", I picked up an "N" router. But, you can save some money($20) if your wireless card is only "G".

I've never had or seen issues with the above brands. They seem to be well supported with firmware updates from the factory. And, with a couple settings, you can set it up to be reasonably reliable without 'other firmware'.

I do prefer routers with 'antennas' since they are better at distance. If you don't plan on being more the 20ft away, then the antennaless(built in wire string dipole) works good enough and provides a level of security. No one can 'borrow' my internet without walking up to my front door on my antennaless router. With my antenna'd router, I can pull a signal a couple houses away.

I prefer a new router over used. I find that he weak link with all brands is the electrical power adapter. They seem to burn out frequent enough with some brands. And, having a receipt/warranty to replace the adapter once is worth it.

I avoid the store brand and lesser brand of routers. I don't care for belkin, zyxel, trendnet, buffalo, actiontec.... some of these need a 'firmware' update to be somewhat reliable. Otherwise, you're rebooting all the time.

And, if you need additional range:
http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/index.php?CatID=32&FamID=58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back