Not getting the internet speed I pay for

Different devices will display different upload/download speeds.

My S21 Ultra Samsung Android phone shows uploads/downloads twice as fast as my I7 HP laptop with Windows 10

Wired Mesh better then any AP. Best of both worlds.
Wired Mesh is the same as a wired AP if you have the wireless backhaul shut off. The mesh systems I have used limit your configuration options, but maybe not all. Better off to get prosumer/small business access points and you won't have to worry.

It's probably that wifi router or maybe the cable or port you plugged it into might have some bottleneck though i don't really know much about internet, but how important is it.

In my area far from the city all I can get is 25mb from att but I honestly have no problem with it. streaming from my bedroom tv, loading and uploading images, and web browsing is pretty instant. Big downloads can take a while I'm never in a hurry. Small app downloads take less than 10 seconds but they usually update when I'm not using them, same with my auto backup. I have kids sharing it and none have complained once.

I just got off the phone with Xfinity and they said that my connection speed would be faster using their modem. A rental fee of $15 per month would be applied to my bill. So after hearing that, I assume all of you guys are using your provider's modem; correct?
Never, who would pay(rent) $15 a month for a $200 or less device?
Simple stuff and your done for years right here and even this is overkill =

Never, who would pay(rent) $15 a month for a $200 or less device?
Simple stuff and your done for years right here and even this is overkill =
You linked to a router (a mighty fine btw) but I think @Soft Cars was referring to a modem. No? Regardless, I agree with you that $15 monthly rental is rubbish when one can pick up a good quality modem and simply own it. Sorry, I didn't post a link to one. Shame on me.

I've already figured out my problem, but just to be certain, I connected my work laptop to my router via ethernet cable, and I was getting right at 1gbps download/upload, which is what I pay for. A new GOOD router should help things along. A coworker in IT recommended this one, since there are gamers in my household: TP Link WifF6 Router

You linked to a router (a mighty fine btw) but I think @Soft Cars was referring to a modem. No? Regardless, I agree with you that $15 monthly rental is rubbish when one can pick up a good quality modem and simply own it. Sorry, I didn't post a link to one. Shame on me.
Yeah, Im not sure, as much as I try to follow threads at times ... if it's the modem he should get his Internet company at the house to fix it. I have a website I can give anyone if they will file a complaint of not getting advertised speeds, I can guarantee you, your provider will be jumping all over you to make it right once you file, most likely along with a supervisor to make sure they get it right.

Ah, I see he has a combo unit. I assume that the modem part is free and he is paying for the router. I am assuming that he may be confusing the words modem and router. I have to wonder if @Soft Cars has the option to have his provider install their own modem at no cost, he then can buy the router he wishes. I never used a router provided by an ISP but the modem itself was always free here in the Carolinas and NY Metro Area.

Last edited:
I’m using the SB8200 modem and an Asus RT-AX56U router. The uptime for both is usually measured in “months”, I’ve never had to reboot either of them for a problem, updates or power outages is the only time they get rebooted… and I’m bad about updating the router because I’m running non-OEM firmware.

The router is about in the WORST possible spot, it’s at the lowest point of my house (technically below ground) under a stairwell that is totally enclosed… kind of a little Harry Potter under the stairwell type thing… though it is centered in the house. Even 1.5 stories up I can get ~430mbps on my phone on 5ghz. I pay for 400.

Arris has “all in one” modem/router combo units as well if that’s something you’re interested in.
SB8200… great modem. Exactly what I used. Reliable and performs well with gigabit.

I hope Arris releases a great DOCSIS 4 model that’s just as reliable. Allegedly, symmetrical DOCSIS with a high split is coming to Spectrum. No clue when my market will see it.

Would this ARRIS G34 work? My house is 1200 sq.ft. single story.
You really need to call your internet provider. Find out if they give you a FREE wired modem. ( I bet they do)
Then buy this https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...-internet-speed-i-pay-for.377685/post-6742931
and plug it into the modem.

or this if you want to spend less

Ps, if you buy a modem not supported by your provider you will be out of luck if you have issues. I would suggest you call them first and find out if they will give you a free modem and if they dont the charge will be less for a modem without wifi from them then the $15 a month you are paying for with wifi. You then buy one of the routers above and plug it in.

I do understand all providers are different but you should call them and tell them you do not want to pay $15 a month and ask for your options.

Last edited:
BTW in addition to the above post ^^^

If anyone is not getting the speed they pay for, first call your provider and tell them to fix it, give them a couple chances. If they dont, file an informal complaint with the agency that you the taxpayer supports.
It takes seconds to do and I can guarantee within 10 days or less, your internet provider will be knocking down your door to correct the problem. Internet provider upper level mangers freak out over it.
Last thing that internet providers want is complaints filed with the FCC as records of the complaints are filed and Congress pays attention to the complaints and uses them to pass laws and restrictions on providers.

Here is the link, in the bottom sentence you will see another link titled "form"

Last edited:
Back