Not getting the internet speed I pay for

I recently upgraded from cable internet to fiber. I am paying for 1 gbps internet. I have a Linksys WRT 1900AC router that is supposed to be gig speed compatible. I have the router configured to have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, on channels 6 & 153 respectively. On the 5GHz wifi, the maximum download speed I can achieve is 250mbps, and the 2.4GHz maxes out around 80mbps. What gives?

I agree you should be much higher. What kind of ethernet patch cable goes between your fiber modem/ONT and your router? If it's some old CAT5, replace it. Ideally you'd want some 500MHz CAT6.

Also, you won't ever realistically achieve your maximum through WiFi, even 5GHz AC. Can you try a speed test directly connected via a known good patch cable to the router? This would point it between a (modem)->(router) problem or a configuration issue/router-only issue.

I agree you should be much higher. What kind of ethernet patch cable goes between your fiber modem/ONT and your router? If it's some old CAT5, replace it. Ideally you'd want some 500MHz CAT6.
New CAT6 cables installed over the weekend. No improvement

Also, you won't ever realistically achieve your maximum through WiFi, even 5GHz AC. Can you try a speed test directly connected via a known good patch cable to the router? This would point it between a (modem)->(router) problem or a configuration issue/router-only issue.
I don't own a computer with an ethernet port. I guess I can bring my work laptop home and try it.

I don't own a computer with an ethernet port. I guess I can bring my work laptop home and try it.
if you don’t own a computer with an ethernet port on it then you are mostly over buying internet speed. now if you have a house full of kids streaming then the extra bandwidth is insurance

Another thing... the wireless clients you're testing from, even though they maybe have a 5GHz wireless card in them, do you know what speeds? Looks like that router supports 1300mbps 5GHz 802.11ac. You may have a 5GHz wireless card that only supports 802.11n.
Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 9.48.26 PM.png

if you don’t own a computer with an ethernet port on it then you are mostly over buying internet speed. now if you have a house full of kids streaming then the extra bandwidth is insurance
I live in a multi-generational household. We have a LOT of devices streaming.

@redhat, all speed testing is being done with an M1 Macbook Air from 2021.
Hmm... well that should for sure have a quick enough wireless NIC in it. And when you're testing these speeds, you're close to the router?

Another thing to try -- are you performing your speed tests from a web browser? If so, try downloading the Speedtest Mac App. I've seen different browser options/extensions/site-based advertisements negatively effect a Speedtest.

Do you have other wireless devices to perform tests on? I don't know if perhaps the M1 Mac "throttles" and its giving an inaccurate measure.

Hmm... well that should for sure have a quick enough wireless NIC in it. And when you're testing these speeds, you're close to the router?

Another thing to try -- are you performing your speed tests from a web browser? If so, try downloading the Speedtest Mac App. I've seen different browser options/extensions/site-based advertisements negatively effect a Speedtest.
I've tried every combination of close up, far away, etc. without much difference. Obviously the 5GHz signal drops fast the further I get from the router. I'm within 30-40 ft of the router and it isn't blocked by anything. I am using the speedtest Mac app.

Is it possible that the router just isn't up to the task? Should I spring for a new one or get my ISP tech support involved first? If I replace it, I think I'm going with a mesh system, as the house is around 3500 sq ft.

Probably something configuration wise within the router. Unless a wonky cable.

Is it possible that the router just isn't up to the task? Should I spring for a new one or get my ISP tech support involved first?
If you're hammering this router with many wireless clients at once, maybe 250Mbps isn't bad... a new router wouldn't hurt, but without knowing it's current amount of clients/usage/configuration... tough to blindly say.

How many wireless devices do you have running at the same time? Every device takes up airtime and it can get congested. Also, are you urban or rural? Do you know if your wireless channels are overlapping with any close neighbors? That can also result in poor performance.

Is it possible that the router just isn't up to the task? Should I spring for a new one or get my ISP tech support involved first? If I replace it, I think I'm going with a mesh system, as the house is around 3500 sq ft.
If you're already wanting a mesh system, then I say go for it. They are nice for coverage.

Back