Restore Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at the intact Restore can I had purchased few months ago. It does have "or your money back" on the back of it, although it does not specifically say to take the empty can to the retailer. I really wanted to use it in my lawn mower but I am still not sure if I should do it or not.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm curious, Phishin: Are you going to just keep using Restore as long as it keeps the truck running well, or will you be replacing the engine soon, regardless?

My goal is to keep this engine running until it dies, becomes unreliable, or requires a repair greater than $100. I could eliminate Restore the next OC simply to see how fast the benefits disappear...in the name of driveway chemistry. But yeah, I'm sure I'll keep Restore on board.

Why you ask?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vintageant
OK, it's 6 months later. What update on the Restore experiment in that old truck engine?

After putting 5k miles on this mix of oil/Restore, I had added 8-10 quarts of make up oil. So the oil was "fresh", but I wanted to change the filter. I took off the filter and cut it open. I posted pics. It didn't look very good. Several people on here said it was plugged. Was it stuck in by-pass mode all the time? I'm not sure. Who knows.

So I changed the filter and added another can of Restore to the oil. I only have about 500 miles on the filter now. I don't drive the truck much since buy the Honda Accord. But I'm thinking of cutting this new filter (P1), and showing more pics. My idea is, let the P1 filter remove the larger particles, leaving the smaller ones in the oil. The smaller particles will move through the new filter, and won't clog it at all.

Just an idea. Just a theory. When I remove the current filter, I'll post pics. Here is the old thread showing the nasty filter after Restore. The thing is....this engine was very sludged up when I bought it. This "sludge" in the filter media looks more like Restore particles than it does sludge.....

Here is the old thread with filter pics
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post3061085

Right now, I'm thinking that after removing this filter, and replacing it yet again, I might just add LM MoS2 from now on. See how that works.

But the truck runs better with the Restore onboard.....100% for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks Phishin, and other for comments pro & con.

I'm considering using Restore in my 1937 Alvis which leaves a trail of blue smoke behind it, and gulps about a quart of Rotella 15w40 oil every 300 miles. Sump is 9.6 US quarts and there is no filter, so the Restore will keep circulating.

Thoughts?

Try it. I don't think it's gonna hurt anything.

Here is my "no doubt in my mind Restore can work" experience: My truck used to hate sitting at a stop light, or in a drive through line....always thought it was gonna die. I used to have to put it in neutral and rev the engine to keep her running. After Restore....she purrs like a kitten when at idle. Yeah, she still drinks oil, but not as fast. But she runs and idles like a truck with 70k miles on it.

Thanks, Phishin!

Very much looking forward to hearing the update on the new filter when you get around to changing and posting results.

If you added 8-10 quarts (let's say 9) over 5k miles that's a quart every 555 miles!

Phishin, thank you for doing this detail and through review of this product. I had used Restore maybe 15-20 years ago and i was too young to know anything about sludge, ring pack, or reason why it did not work for me.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
UPDATE:

It's been 480 miles since I've put RESTORE in my oil. I actually put 2 cans of the 6-cylinder cans in.....which is 1 quart of material with a fresh OC of Rotella 15w40 and a "made by Purolator" oil filter called Motor Gard II.

I just got home from a 360 mile round trip to Indianapolis...All Highway. Typically, this high-way cruising would burn 3/4 quart down, and 3/4 quart back. I've done it many times. I know.

I burned 3/4 of a quart for the whole trip. So, consumption was cut in half. That's cool.

Did you add the restore in addition to your Rotella fill, or did you replace 1 qt of Rotella with 1 qt of Restore? If in addition to, that could explain why you only burned half your normal amount, it was overfilled.

Originally Posted By: another Todd

Did you add the restore in addition to your Rotella fill, or did you replace 1 qt of Rotella with 1 qt of Restore? If in addition to, that could explain why you only burned half your normal amount, it was overfilled.

NO, I added the Restore when the oil level was low and brought it back to the full mark on the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Did you ever take a new compression reading to compare with the original?

No, I never took new compression readings. But I must tell you, there is 0% doubt that the truck runs 100% better.

Now for a semi-update:
If ya'll remember, I removed my old filter and it was clogged several months ago. So, I installed a new filter, added another can of Restore, and have driven the truck about another 1000 miles or so. Tonight, I'm going to remove the filter and install another. I'll dissect this one, and see how "clogged" up this one is. My hope, is that I can keep adding Restore, because it makes my truck run so much better. But my theory is, everytime I add Restore, I need to change my filter a few hundred miles later, because it has trapped the larger sized Silver/Lead/Copper particles found in Restore. Thus, removing them from my engine fairly quickly, and allowing the smaller particles to continue to flow through the filter, yet do their job.

So, in the next few day, I hope to be posting pics of what this filter looks like.

Last edited:
Here are the pics of the Purolator.....

101513210208.jpg

2013-10-15_20-55-15_839.jpg

101513210309.jpg

101513210411.jpg

Not sure what to think. Filter did NOT seemed as clogged as last time. But then again, this was only ran for 1k miles. But what has me really concerned is all the particles I found inside the filter. You really see them on the metal dome, the outside edge of the base plate, and on the newspaper.

The last filter was gunky/gooey/slimy, this is more like sand.....I'm concerned. I cut the filter open with cutting disc on a Dremel, and I went through two discs...is that what I'm seeing? I think it is. The filter was mangled because I used channel locks to loosen it up, so not only did I cut a ringing around the filter near the base plate, but I had to cut the filter housing from top to bottom to pry it open enough to get the filter media out.

Comments?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Sounds like you need a filter cutter.

I agree!! You think this "sand" is particles from the two cutting discs or particles from Restore?

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Sounds like you need a filter cutter.

I agree!! You think this "sand" is particles from the two cutting discs or particles from Restore?

Depends on whether when you lay the media out if you find it at the bottoms of the folds. If so, it is probably from the Restore.

Slight Update:

On my way out the door this morning headed to work, I made a pit-stop to the garage. When the oil filter came off, I let it drain into a CLEAN oil change pan. And YES, there was some of that same grit in that clean pan.

Second, I don't know how to "unpleat" the filter media and lay it out, but I did use my fingers and spread a few of the pleats apart and YES, there seemed to be an accumulation of those particles down into the bottom of those pleats.

Bottom line: I'm 95% sure these particles are from the Restore. Yeah, it's kinda scary, but the truck has never run better.

On a side note--

A: During this 1000 mile run using this filter, the oil has seen a full quart of MMO added to the oil. Since I knew I was changing the filter in short order, I thought I'd give the engine another MMO cleaning cycle.

B: Half way through this 1000 mile run, the truck was given a steam cleaning of water sprayed down the intake. Approximately 1/2 gallon of water was ingested by the motor.

Could have either of these processes caused the excessive amount of particles to worn in the oil? Who knows. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back