Restore Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Phishin

On my way out the door this morning headed to work, I made a pit-stop to the garage. When the oil filter came off, I let it drain into a CLEAN oil change pan. And YES, there was some of that same grit in that clean pan.

To be clear,this means that the grit was in the filter BEFORE I cut it open with the Dremel. Because the filter was draining in the pan before I cut it open.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

Could have either of these processes caused the excessive amount of particles to worn in the oil?

Just a typo from my phone....should have said "excessive amount of particles to show up in the oil?"

I scraped up several milligrams of the particle matter on my lunch break. I'm currently dissolving it in a mixture of Nitric and Hydrochloric acid. I'm hoping it all dissolves.

Then I'm gonna run the sample on the ICP in the lab I work in.....and see if it's copper, silver, and lead found in Restore....or is it something else.

So, here are the results of me analyzing the "sandy crud" I found all over my oil filter last night when I dissected it....

I analyzed for 20 elements. I scraped up some crud (no idea how much) and dissolved it in hot/boiling acid (Aqua Regia, which is a mix of nitric and hydrochloric acids). I boiled it down to approximately 7 milliliters of volume to concentrate it as much as I could since I had small sample size. There was hardly anything left undissolved....except some clear/reddish sandy material, that looked like the same stuff that the Dremel cutting wheels are made of.

The Results (ppm):

Ag 0.38
Al 14.3
Ca 15.5
Cr 0.40
Cu 53.5
Fe 967
K 19.9
Mg 1.01
Mn 5.03
Na 4.81
Ni 0.58
Pb 36.7
Sn 1.18
Zn 9.48

The following elements were NOT DETECTED: As, Bi, Cd, Co, Sb, and Se

So, there is some Lead and Copper present, but VERY little Silver. Not surprising that Restore would skimp on this metal. But the vast majority of the metal found was iron. This makes me think that the contamination either came from me cutting open the oil filter with a Dremel, or it's my engine about to die.

BUT FOR SURE.....it can be concluded that the "sandy" material found in my oil filter is NOT particles of RESTORE.

Would probably have been better if the crud you scraped up was from between the pleats of the filter, as that would have reduced the contamination from your cutting efforts FWIW.

Dang near 500 views since I posted pics of my filter, posted results of the analysis of the sludge, and only OVERKILL has anything to say.....

Surprising.

Well you made a pretty strong case and essentially eliminated the speculation.

Good job on following through.

32.gif

I might have a good candidate for a Restore experiment (once the oil weepage is addressed).

'87 Acura Legend with ~435k miles on it.

1. Oil consumption was a respectable 1qt/4500 miles unil the last few OCI's (5000 miles). It's now about 1qt/1500 miles.

I suspect the PCV system; the cavity on the VC where the PCV is in always fills with a bit of oil and I haven't opened it up in a l-o-n-g while to wipe out the excess.

2. The compression is all over the place.

3. It uses a cartridge filter.

I just need the huevos to pour this stuff into the crankcase and stick with the data collection.

Restore isn't going to fix your PCV system from drinking your oil...but a catch can or baffle or cleaning/unclogging an oil return passage or opening would.

What if oil consumption is caused by faulty valve seals or worn/broken valve guides? Restore won't fix that either.

But Restore will bring back compression and smooth out an engine if poor drivabilility is caused by compression issues. At least it has in my truck. It still drinks oil, because of bad valve guides and seals.

Lastly, Restore can give cam sensors fits....if your car has one. I've read this from others accounts I've found online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back