Honda V6 rear bank stuck rings and using oil

Are you able to provide some specific info that says M1 HM has the ability to clean an engine? Since M1 makes HM oils in a couple of flavors, which HM are you referencing?

See post#56 and #57, In 57 I include a screen shot from the Mobil 1 HM jug.

My parents are on their second Pilot with VCM (4th Pilot in general) and their driving patterns (super rural 55-60 MPH) result in very routine 3 cylinder mode. They kept the first 2 non-VCM equipped ones for ~250k miles (7-9 years), the first VCM version (3rd gen) they traded in early at a little under 100k miles due to crazy used car market so the Pilot they have now is supposed to be one of their quarter million mile ones - I am curious to see how this one holds up. I drove their prior 3rd gen on a 2ish hour state highway route they drive probably 60-70x per year and the VCM was active probably 40-50% of the time because its a lot of flat 55-60MPH cruising.

Doesn't help that my mom rarely ever pushes it past ~3.5-4k RPM. I took it for an errand and I matted it to get onto a 60 MPH state freeway - looked like I was coal rolling in a Honda Pilot. :ROFLMAO:

I have two 2006 Odysseys and two 2007 Odysseys which have VCM version 1.
Their front cylinder heads (in the direction of the front bumper) get extremely hot when VCM engages and the rear bank shuts down near the firewall. This cooks the oil on the front cylinder heads due to a poorly designed PCV system and creats a lot of varnish on the front cylinder heads.

My Odysseys have the regular tension piston rings so they don't burn oil.

This is a totally different issue than the newer Odysseys with VCM version 2 which have the low tension piston rings.
Thank you. Still not sure if the front or rear bank shut off. Someone else on this topic here said the front bank shuts off and just pumps air when VCM is active, so that front bank has an easy time. Not trying to be argumentative just want to know what to watch out for on mine. Maybe i'll just pull the plugs and check...

I think I recall an article that stated the VCM enambled an Odessy to get 18% better mpg over the equivalent Toyota van
No, no and no.

I saw no difference in my muzzled 15 odyssey.
It's less than 1 mpg difference.

It's all about CAFE numbers vs actual tangible benefit to the consumer.

And yes it destroys the oem $800 each active engine mounts under 100k miles.

It's aweful. Vcm

You have me confused. You replied in one of your posts regarding VCM issues that the FRONT cylinders are the damaged ones and how really tough those cylinders are on the oil. Did I misunderstand you?
No, I said the front bank of cylinders are fine and the rear bank has stuck rings.

Last edited:
Thank you. Still not sure if the front or rear bank shut off. Someone else on this topic here said the front bank shuts off and just pumps air when VCM is active, so that front bank has an easy time. Not trying to be argumentative just want to know what to watch out for on mine. Maybe i'll just pull the plugs and check...
VCM version 1 (2007 and older years): Front bank's cylinder heads get hot and you're likely to see varnish on the front heads.

VCM version 2: (2008 and newer years): Wwilson's post show rear bank stuck ring issue is common.

No, no and no.

I saw no difference in my muzzled 15 odyssey.
It's less than 1 mpg difference.

It's all about CAFE numbers vs actual tangible benefit to the consumer.

And yes it destroys the oem $800 each active engine mounts under 100k miles.

It's aweful. Vcm

VCM version 1 (2007 and older years): Front bank's cylinder heads get hot and you're likely to see varnish on the front heads.

VCM version 2: (2008 and newer years): Wwilson's post show rear bank stuck ring issue is common.
thank you

I ran a 2006 Honda Ridgeline 206k miles. Ran Mobil 1 5W-20 in it the whole time, running 8-13k mile OCIs and had a UOA at 190k miles after a 13k mile run.... Blackstone told me to run it 15k next time. I started doing 5k at that time...

No issues at all. When I did the valve cover gaskets/valve adjustment at 105k, the valve train looked almost new.

This thing used zero ounces of oil at 200k, got 16/20 MPG, ran like a top, rode like a nice sedan, acted like a 4WD tractor in the snow/ice on Michelin LTX M/S tires.

I regret selling it.

I ran a 2006 Honda Ridgeline 206k miles. Ran Mobil 1 5W-20 in it the whole time, running 8-13k mile OCIs and had a UOA at 190k miles after a 13k mile run.... Blackstone told me to run it 15k next time. I started doing 5k at that time...

No issues at all. When I did the valve cover gaskets/valve adjustment at 105k, the valve train looked almost new.

This thing used zero ounces of oil at 200k, got 16/20 MPG, ran like a top, rode like a nice sedan, acted like a 4WD tractor in the snow/ice on Michelin LTX M/S tires.

I regret selling it.
Lots of highway driving?

I think I recall an article that stated the VCM enambled an Odessy to get 18% better mpg over the equivalent Toyota van
2018 Toyota Sienna 2WD 6 cyl, 3.5 L, Automatic (S8)
Regular GasolineNot Available
How can I share my MPG?
Compare
Combined MPG:22
combined
city/highway
MPG
City MPG:19
city
Highway MPG:27
highway

2018 Honda Odyssey 3.5 L, 6 cyl, Automatic (S9), Regular Gasoline
compare
2018 Honda Odyssey
Gasoline icon
22MPG
combined
city/hwy
cityhwy
4.5 gal/100 mi

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/images/findacar/compare1bv.png[/IMG][/URL]
[/TD]
[TD]Combined MPG:22
combined
city/highway
MPG
City MPG:19
city
Highway MPG:27
highway
[/TD]

[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

2018 Honda Odyssey 3.5 L, 6 cyl, Automatic (S9), Regular Gasoline
compare
2018 Honda Odyssey
Gasoline icon
22MPG
combined
city/hwy
cityhwy
4.5 gal/100 mi
I think the small print is that; when cruising at 55mph, then the VCM Odyssey can get 18% better mileage while maintain 55mph.
Obviously the EPA testing cycle doesn't really show that much difference, but I don't think there's a lot of steady state highway cruising.

On a 2006 Odyssey, the original EPA ratings were 19/25 without VCM and 20/28 with VCM.

This was later downgraded to 17/23 and 17/26, respectively.

IF you believe the current EPA rating, fueleconomy.gov suggests VCM will save $150/year in gas... But a genuine rear engine mount for the VCM engine costs $700 from a discounter, more for later models.

I think the small print is that; when cruising at 55mph, then the VCM Odyssey can get 18% better mileage while maintain 55mph.
Obviously the EPA testing cycle doesn't really show that much difference, but I don't think there's a lot of steady state highway cruising.
Cherry picking is a horrible way to measure and gauge a difference in mpg.

[QUOTE="I Cherry picking is a horrible way to measure and gauge a difference in mpg.
[/QUOTE]
I guess, it would be nice to know if 95% of your driving is 60mph in the plains though?

On the 3rd Generation Pilot Forum (2016-2022) there are reports of the VCM 3 affecting the 6 speed transmission torque convertor. The VCM 3 allows for "planned slippage" of the torque convertor at certain times to mask vibrations resulting from the cylinder deactivation. This is allowing the fluid to deteriorate quicker with wear material and eventually may cause transmission problems also.

Honda came out with a service bulletin to drain and fill the fluid 3 times and update the software if the new fluid didn't "fix" the problem. More and more reports of torque convertors needing replacement. What's somewhat odd in my opinion is that only the 6 speed transmissions which use Honda DW-1 fluid are having this problem.

The 9 speed transmissions which my 2019 Pilot Touring has uses Honda 3.1 fluid and there are no service bulletins for the same problem with that transmission. The Honda Maintenance Minder from owner reports calls for the 6 speed fluid to be changed about every 30000 miles but the 9 speed every 60000 miles.
Even with the VCM on my wife’s 19 six speed disabled. I do 30K intervals on the transmission with Amsoil SS blue cap. Also installed the factory transmission cooler as well. I also run Redline sl1 at 60 and 20% to hopefully keep the injectors happy. 57K and so far so good.

Back