Reliable Used Vehicle Options

I'd buy another but they priced them near $30k for an SE and to me that isn't a value... Plus for some reason Sports are hard to find where the larger Outlander is well stocked and not much more.
$30k, ouch. I know I paid not far from that for our Camry, still surprised we went ahead. But $30k is becoming "cheap" these days, not a lot left below that now.

I owned four of them and never had one issue.

Thats great, How much maintenance did you do?

I have a cousin in the same boat as OP, $13k Max. She wont be doing trans flushes every 30k :D

I like the Mazda 3 in this price range if you can find one that's clean.

Where are the Mazda and VW's and why are they not on this list? Mazda 2.3 or 2.5 and VW 1.8 or 2.0.
VW 2.5 too, if past 2007 (updated timing chain tensioner).

Thing is, I recently asked about a VW 2.5 and group consensus seemed negative. 🤷‍♂️

Thats great, How much maintenance did you do?

I have a cousin in the same boat as OP, $13k Max. She wont be doing trans flushes every 30k :D

I like the Mazda 3 in this price range if you can find one that's clean.
Not a bunch except basic drains every 40-50K and oil changes with an Ultra at 7500-10K
Funny the old cars were made in Illinois? by UAW
Newer went back to Japan and thus the price increase.
New are better optioned but the old ones had better switch gear etc.
The old had higher quality seat materials as well.
One case where Japanese made weren't better.

If she wants to avoid the Toyota tax she could look at a Ford Fusion with the *2.5 Duratec*. These engines are bulletproof, proven, overbuilt and simple. They were also in the 2009-2012 Mazda 6. Check for rust on the rear subframes and front engine cradles on all of these. These engines are known to go 300K+.

I’ve got a 2.5 with 190K without any problems. Doesn’t even consume any oil. Oil changes every 5-8k miles.

Last edited:
Trying to help a 23 year old female find a reliable used car. She does not have a lot of money and can only afford 8-10k on whatever we can find. Car will be used for transportation to and from work, which would be 5-10 miles one way. What direction can I help her look?

If she wants to avoid the Toyota tax she could look at a Ford Fusion with the *2.5 Duratec*. These engines are bulletproof, proven, overbuilt and simple. They were also in the 2009-2012 Mazda 6. Check for rust on the rear subframes and front engine cradles on all of these. These engines are known to go 300K+.

I’ve got a 2.5 with 190K without any problems. Doesn’t even consume any oil. Oil changes every 5-8k miles.
Love that engine, owned one briefly. Not as impressed with the 6F35 Ford transmission. Look for a slow 2-3 shift that ends with a jerk.

Yaris, Mazda 2, not sure about Fit due to CVT, I think if you get the most basic version Mirage would probably be ok reliability wise (parts may not be easy to get). Not sure about domestic end but I'd be a bit concern about little things nickle and dime you on domestic (Ford especially, maybe GM is better, I don't know).

Thanks for the links. We are down along the NC/VA border and would prefer not to drive that far but may have to. Heck I'd not mind the CR-V as a little work vehicle myself!

Update:
The Corolla has gotten 13,000 miles fairly quickly. 6 months.
No issues. Flushed the coolant, brake fluid, drained and filled the transmission. Using Mobil1ES and filter, changing every 7k miles, all highway miles.
Great little car, it’s very shiny and I enjoy its reliability.
1692543359672.jpeg

Back