Reliable Used Vehicle Options

Just bought my wife a 2018 Lexus today which means my 96 F150 is for sale. Needs 2 tires and an inspection...but she fires up every time. $2500 115k miles

We are looking at the used car market right now for my 19YO son and are targeting 2014-17 Mazda 6. They are not quite as expensive as Toyota within the same class and look to get great mileage/longevity.

Mazda is ok in Arizona because you don't have to deal with rust :sneaky:

My 2017 Corolla iM would fit the bill, but in all reality, the 91 Grand Am at one third the price would be a smarter choice for a young driver. Keep the rest of the money in the bank for an emergency fund.

If she likes moving boxes, Scion xB (2nd gen), any Corolla 2003+, Matrix/Vibe. The field is vast for these vehicles and they will be cheap to maintain.
We have 3 Pontiac Vibes in our fleet currently. I just sold my low mileage 2003 Matrix XRS. All have been excellent cars for my entire family. Will keep ‘em forever!

Trying to help a 23 year old female find a reliable used car. She does not have a lot of money and can only afford 8-10k on whatever we can find. Car will be used for transportation to and from work, which would be 5-10 miles one way. What direction can I help her look?

If y'all are willing to drive up to the D.C. area, this Camry looks like the ticket for her needs and budget:

2005 Toyota Camry

The perfect year. The following year, which was the first year of a new generation wasn't nearly as good. I'd do a search on www.autotrader.com for an '08.
Didn’t 08 use the 2AZ-FE that had the low tension rings and too-small oil drain holes? I think all the 2.4L 2AZ engines from 07 upward best avoided because of the chance they will be oil burners.

Didn’t 08 use the 2AZ-FE that had the low tension rings and too-small oil drain holes? I think all the 2.4L 2AZ engines from 07 upward best avoided because of the chance they will be oil burners.
Want to say, '02 through '05 was the head bolt strippers, and '07 on was the oil burners. Supposedly if it says 5W20 on the oil cap it's prone to burning? To me, just seems like an engine to avoid altogether, unless if it's a good deal, and you're ok with the gamble. Or maybe it's for a kid who won't drive much, like a first car. The replacement 2AR-FE was vastly better, albeit going to cost more, being newer and all.

Two are 2014s still in my local family and neighborhood. Both well over 200k..
No issues. Chevy trucks not used for towing got less than 70k out of the transmissions. Both 1500s... 2017
Then that counts by BITOG standards. :) 200k is a great start for proving longevity. (y)

Back