How reliable are AWD Challengers

Like the title says, how reliable is the Dodge Challenger in a SXT AWD package? How many miles can one expect to get out of it before needing a replacement?

Any thoughts on improving security when commuting it in a city known for car theft issues besides a club and club for the break as I know those are not a "silver bullet"?

Like the title says, how reliable is the Dodge Challenger in a SXT AWD package? How many miles can one expect to get out of it before needing a replacement?

Any thoughts on improving security when commuting it in a city known for car theft issues besides a club and club for the break as I know those are not a "silver bullet"?
Chargers and Challengers are the favorite rides of inner city gangbangers. Security? Driving or parking one in these places increases the chance for auto theft or carjacking. Personally, I would choose something else that doesn’t attract as much attention.

60,000 to 280,000 depending on how you maintain it.
I would plan on 3-4k oil changes, changing the transmission fluid and filter with the overpriced factory fluid every 60k and coolant every 10 years or 100k miles. Anything else it would need as preventative maintenance?

Chargers and Challengers are the favorite rides of inner city gangbangers. Security? Driving or parking one in these places increases the chance for auto theft or carjacking. Personally, I would choose something else that doesn’t attract as much attention.
I understand the problem becomes the Challenger seems to be one of the few cars that works with my back. I would need a beater for driving downtown which gets to be a financial burden to have 3 cars.

Don't forget the catalytic converter anti-theft shield and the front/rear diff & transfer case fluid.

Last edited:
The 3.6 and the zf8 based 850re trans are pretty mature by now. Though because the front diff, cv axles, and transfer case aren't that common nor old i can't see that being as ironed out as other makes awd systems. So I'm inclined to steer away from the additional drivetrain components that haven't had that much time in the wild and there aren't that many out there either. I'd avoid the awd and just use good all season tires and a snow or ice mode instead. Many think they need awd when they don't. I'd get the regular version.

The 3.6 and the zf8 based 850re trans are pretty mature by now. Though because the front diff, cv axles, and transfer case aren't that common nor old i can't see that being as ironed out as other makes awd systems. So I'm inclined to steer away from the additional drivetrain components that haven't had that much time in the wild and there aren't that many out there either. I'd avoid the awd and just use good all season tires and a snow or ice mode instead. Many think they need awd when they don't. I'd get the regular version.
So the difference between the Challenger vs Charger and 300 is different enough that these would not have the bugs worked out?

I don't trust RWD even with snow tires let alone all season tires.

The transfer case is a BorgWarner and I haven't heard of any issues with it. You don't want to be driving a RWD version in the snow.
Agreed, my family had enough fun with that nonsense in the 80s. My mother's cutlass supreme would take hours getting out of the driveway vs. our k cars which replaced them would get in and out in seconds.

If its driven in snow AWD would be safer. The salt will be more of an issue I suspect than longevity of the AWD system. If indeed your state uses salt. Either way Enjoy your Charger
They use salt but it's not THAT bad around here. I still have a 24 year old sedan that is still adequate and my relatives have Tauruses of 12 years old without anything noticable.

So the difference between the Challenger vs Charger and 300 is different enough that these would not have the bugs worked out?

I don't trust RWD even with snow tires let alone all season tires.
No, it uses a BW 44-40 transfer case has been used since 2015 in the Charger and 300. Should be just as reliable. Same operating parameters as the Charger and 300, AWD engaged in sport mode or if auto stick is engaged, windshield wipers are on, it’s below 40F, or it detects wheel spin.

That particular car (V6 AWD and 8 speed trans) is a great automobile. Roomy, decent performance and the gas mileage will surprise you, especially on the highway. Consumer reports stated the late model Charger and 300 as very reliable and probably the best full size American car available (despite being a dated design). I have a 300C V8 that has over 161,000 miles and it has been amazing. I love the car, even with the hemi I get about 25mpg highway and 21 combined.
As for the AWD system I am certain you won't have any issues. The 8 speed trans is bullet proof and the Pentastar will serve you well as long as you take care of it.
If you buy one, take some time to understand the AWD. The car is normally 100% RWD unless the following conditions are present:
1. Wipers are on.
2. Ambient temp is 40 degrees or below.
2 The transmission is in manual mode.
As far as I know the AWD will not engage in warm weather even if it detects wheel spin, you need to use sport or manual mode. My friend couldn't get up a steep gravel driveway in his Charger last summer, rear wheels just spun. He thought it was not working but when I told him he needed manual mode the car scooted right up the hill with no spin at all.

Thanks for clarifying this. I would’ve loved a V8 AWD
Find an Ex-Law Enforcement Charger. They were available with AWD and the V8. We had a bunch of them before we transitioned to Ford stuff. We still have a few kicking around, although one of them isn't long for this world, it stopped by to drop off a customer the other night and it sounded like the lifter was about to get bashed through the block it was hammering so loud.

I believe they had the 5-speed trans as well, since it was stronger at the time if memory serves.

Find an Ex-Law Enforcement Charger. They were available with AWD and the V8. We had a bunch of them before we transitioned to Ford stuff. We still have a few kicking around, although one of them isn't long for this world, it stopped by to drop off a customer the other night and it sounded like the lifter was about to get bashed through the block it was hammering so loud.

I believe they had the 5-speed trans as well, since it was stronger at the time if memory serves.
I never knew they made them with AWD and a V8! I just looked on my local Craigslist and there are 2 of them.

Back