Radar detector under $100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: renegade_987
I'm sure that the v1 is a great product, but I'm not shelling out $500 for a risk of false alerts

When my daughter got a speeding ticket, the insurance increase was $300/year for 3 years. Double the cost of the V1.

You get what you pay for. No false alerts from a $100 detector sounds great, until it misses an alert, and you're out a grand in fines and insurance increases. The V1 works better than the rest by allowing you to see direction of arrival of the signal...important in maintaining your SA.

If you've only got $100 to spend on a detector, then I recommend that you stay near the speed limit, set the cruise control, and save your cash.

Also, the whole V1 having too many false alerts has been greatly reduced with the V1 connection. Which is a bluetooth dongle that connects to either iPhone or Android phone. It allows for band segmenting etc. It makes it seriously deadly.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

If you've only got $100 to spend on a detector, then I recommend that you stay near the speed limit, set the cruise control, and save your cash.

My thoughts exactly...

In my opinion, it is not that people think that they are above the law, it is that speed limits were set based upon some persons' arbitrary archaic study in regards to what the speed limit should be on each road, depending on its' design and factors in regard to population density. Certain people have a propensity to be in the left lane which is the normal lane where speed should be obtainable beyond the 85% of traffic flow and is the normal passing lane. Once they are in the "fast lane" they stay there causing traffic jams, now, if police would enforce the left lane as impeding traffic (which is law in some states, if not all) against the lane "slowpokes" and stop those certain people who go slow in the left lane,it would be a win/win for law enforcement, it would stop the slowpokes from getting into the left lane and it would open up the left lane to those who need to get around the slow drivers thus allowing the police to enforce the speeding laws against the speeders. Just a thought.

However, law enforcement does not want to enforce those laws that impede traffic flow, rather they want to catch the "speeders." Speeders mean more money in the coffers of state, county, and local officials and their pockets all in the name of.....Safety (Money)........

Again, just my opinion.

You could save your money and choose not to be a scofflaw. You don't have to spend hundreds on gadgets and hope they detect radar, you don't have to constantly watch over your shoulder hoping you don't get caught, and you'll enjoy very low insurance rates when you've gone 30 or 40 years without an accident or ticket.

After all, when you signed up for your license you agreed to abide by the rules of the road. Doesn't it make sense to live up to your word?

Scofflaws!!!
31.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
You could save your money and choose not to be a scofflaw. You don't have to spend hundreds on gadgets and hope they detect radar, you don't have to constantly watch over your shoulder hoping you don't get caught, and you'll enjoy very low insurance rates when you've gone 30 or 40 years without an accident or ticket.

After all, when you signed up for your license you agreed to abide by the rules of the road. Doesn't it make sense to live up to your word?

crackmeup2.gif

If your going to get one, get one one with good reviews.

I generally travel along with traffic flow (to a point) and if my detector goes off, I usually fall back a little. I've had others around me get pulled over. So IMO they do have their place for those that may do a little over the posted speed.

I'll run the V1 out on open road. Also have the 9500ix but it gets rarely used and would better in town unless I want the noisy V1.

In the almost 4 decades of driving, I have yet to get a speeding ticket. Not saying I never deserved one, or many.

Matter of fact, and maybe rare, I drive closer to the speed limit since running a detector. I'll go with traffic up to 4-6 over the posted speed (99% of the time), when before I got a detector it would be 10 or more. Seeing that detector kind of keeps me in check. I didn't get one (or more) to allow me to speed more, just another toy in the vehicle but it somehow slowed me down. I don't get it myself.

Anyway I've tried the cheaper detectors and to me I wished I had got the better units to begin with. Just like fishing gear, electronics etc., not always best to cheap out.
Sometimes you can find CL deals but be careful for stolen items.

For some reason once in awhile I'll get a alert then it quickly changes to a "J" which J is for junk and I was told it's mostly the cheap Cobra junk detectors leaky signals.

I'm not saying I'm for against them, just do your homework/reviews/forums to save some frustration if your going to get one.

add - plus on some long travels, it's another toy like the stereo, GPS, CB... so the wife thinks I'm tuned into driving and all the gadgets and she doesn't yak so much which is fine with me.

Last edited:
I have a "cheap" Whistler radar detector, bought it at Autozone, used a $10.00 coupon so it cost me $60.00. It is actually a good little detector. I bought it a couple years ago when I was headed on a road trip to Atlanta for Thanksgiving and back home to Florida. I tend to drive at or under the speed limit, whether I am on the interstate or state/local roads. Florida has some bad speed traps, so does South Georgia.

That cheap Whistler did alert me to several speed traps during my trip, all within at least a quarter to half a mile before I reached the trap, and it even alerted me to one Laser shot. I got the Laser alert about 5 seconds before I was within sight of two Georgia State Troopers on a bridge clocking everybody down below on I-75. I was kind of impressed that a cheap detector had the ability to alert me to Laser. During my trip my detector also alerted me to 6 or 8 other LEO's clocking people with K and KA band radar.

I say all this to point out that I did not buy the detector so I could drive 90 MPH to Atlanta and back. I just bought it to alert me to the revenue-generating speed traps. That is all, I just wanted the detector for an additional tool to help avoid getting stopped in a speed trap. Georgia has a "Super Speeder Law" where they can write you a big fat ticket for only going 2 or 3 MPH over the limit. Florida has a lot of towns that do the same thing. There is no industry or other way to generate revenue in those little towns, and they have to pay the mayor somehow.

On that Thanksgiving trip and any other time I use my detector, I set my cruise at the speed limit, keep my eyes peeled for LEO's, other drivers hitting the brakes for no other apparent reason, staying away from packs of other drivers going too fast, and I try very hard to drive the speed limit in a sane and courteous manner. I bought a radar detector because I just wanted any advantage I could get for avoiding speed traps, but with Laser and LIDAR the LEO's definitely have the upper hand and better advantage. If your radar detector goes off and you are going over the speed limit, you might as well go ahead and pull off to the side of the road because the LEO has already clocked you.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Do radar detectors emit any radiation of any kind themselves??

Yes. There is a "radar detector detector" that is used in the states where they are illegal. It detects the emissions from the superhet portion of the unit.

The upper end brands are shielded to resist this...

Just thinking that Id hate to log hours in a vehicle getting irradiated by yet another source that I can control...

The cheaper models emit RF. The High end models are totally sheilded and cannot be detected. My Beltronics STi Driver is undetectable. The RDD is called a "Spectre 4"

Stay clear from Cobra. Don't expect much from a $100 new detector. You can find refurb Passport 8500s for slighty more. Shop Craislist. I found my bargains on there. I got a Solo2 for the wife @ $75. My best bargain was my Passport 9500i for $100. It was 1 mi from my home, and an older gentleman. It cam with box and all accessories. At the time, used one would bring over $300 on ebay. I gladly paid his full asking price.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
The cheaper models emit RF. The High end models are totally sheilded and cannot be detected. My Beltronics STi Driver is undetectable. The RDD is called a "Spectre 4"

Has that been verified by the various brands of RDD?

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx

Has that been verified by the various brands of RDD?
Yes it has, and my detector has been verified undetectable by me as well. (Don't ask how) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back