Down the Gear Oil rabbit hole again: for Eaton Torsen “upgrade”

Eaton did not design the Truetrac, they acquired it when they acquired Tractech makers of the Detroit Locker and Truetrac.

I strongly suspect this is a legacy recommendation carried forward.

Eatons test for function amounts to putting one wheel on a high traction surface and one on a low traction surface (but not NO traction) and nailing it, If your not sitting there doing one wheel peel it is working.

I really don't even know how you would test this in an instrumented way, I don't think you can do breakaway torque like a clutch type limited slip, I'm willing to listen to suggestions on what might be a valid test other than Eatons.

I'm curious about this shop that wants to use the Amsoil because it has FM and not using FM in a Truetrac is the one thing that there seems to be fairly universal agreement on.

Last edited:
Dodge 11.5 AAM comes with a torsen from factory. Mopar calls for a synthetic fluid, from everything I have read.

Apparently there is a T2, T2R (with “clutches” of sorts in addition to the Torsen), some OEM versions, the Eaton TruTrac and a PowerTrax GripPro. I delved into each a bit, thinking there might be a solution favoring or at least 100% tolerating some full synthetic fluid. Most all appear to shun FM’s (this is a bit of a generalization), a good portion frown at synthetics in general (another generalization), but none appear to “favor“ synthetics. on the other hand, you’ve seen testimonials from synthetic users. So I’ll keep “pondering” for awhile, no doubt annoying people in the process.

but, i did find this (attached)

IMG_1299.png

Back