United Airlines Places Orders for 100 787s + 100 Options, Orders 56 737MAX + 44 Exercised Options

Late to the party in replying to this post; however, I'm an AMC warrior and United is very favorably considered among those about to depart active duty. Their mil to civ hiring process seems to be one of the better options out there.
Unlike most of the major airlines, we are willing to hire you while you are still on active duty.

It wasn’t always this way, but United really does try and make it easier.

When you look at the expansion of our fleet, where we fly, and our new contract, I would hope that we are your first choice.

If you have any questions, personally, I’m happy to answer them off-line. Please send me a private message.

Last edited:
The airline pushed it. But, it was perfect storm. Boeing management then further contributed to that situation.
If boeing had launched the B797 as a composite it would have migrated to PurePower - one or two stretch iterations that would have been a B757 replacement after being the B737 replacement …
I just flew another Max - and as a passenger? Other than the nice oversized bins - it's just another plane …

Unlike most of the major airlines, we are willing to hire you while you are still on active duty.

It wasn’t always this way, but United really does try and make it easier.

When you look at the expansion of our fleet, where we fly, and our new contract, I would hope that we are your first choice.

If you have any questions, personally, I’m happy to answer them off-line. Please send me a private message.
Much improved airline - lots of good things came from a proper UA/CO merger - not just a livery change …

If boeing had launched the B797 as a composite it would have migrated to PurePower - one or two stretch iterations that would have been a B757 replacement after being the B737 replacement …
I just flew another Max - and as a passenger? Other than the nice oversized bins - it's just another plane …
They made things worse with how the executed MCAS, how they rolled it out, and that crisis management after?

Much improved airline - lots of good things came from a proper UA/CO merger - not just a livery change …
My perspective on that is a bit more complex.

Before 9/11, United was great airline. We had a solid CEO, and we were the top of the industry, the largest, most profitable, airline in the world. We flew the world. One afternoon in Narita, I saw 12 United 747s at the terminal- more than any other carrier, including Japan Air Lines.

But United was unprepared for the dramatic shift in flying that happened after the NASDAQ implosion in early 2000, and the subsequent financial shock of 911 drove the airline into bankruptcy.

In bankruptcy, the CEO was a former oil guy whose job was to strip the airline, sell off the assets, get costs lowered, look for a merger or sale. His name was Glen Tilton, and he was widely reviled by United employees, that is the 40% of employees who remained with the company after his program was completed, the rest were gone. It was a bloodbath of layoffs and dramatic pay cuts.

The merger with Continental in 2010 brought yet another CEO with no experience running an airline. A Harvard Law- trained lawyer. Again, widely reviled…also not very successful. He was a face in a suit. He lacked any kind of leadership.

What changed the airline was a CEO named Oscar Munoz who came in in 2014. I’ve actually met Oscar personally a couple of times, and I continue to be impressed. Oscar came from the railroad industry, so while not directly an airline, at least he understood things like schedules, and unions, and complex, expensive rolling stock.

What made Oscar different? He was a people person. He articulated a vision for United going forward. He hired the best people. He engaged* with Frontline employees. Leadership.

One of his good picks was our current, CEO, Scott Kirby, who Oscar brazenly poached from American Airlines. It’s Scott Kirby that has continued the change that Oscar initiated. Empowering employees, fixing things that were broken. Many of those things were cultural, and structural, not easy to fix…not simple. But like turning a supertanker, it takes a while, and a firm idea of where we should go. Scott is proud of this new airplane order.

So am I.

In the Navy, when I was in command, I would “walk the deck plates“. I firmly supported the chain of command, but I also wanted to see things for myself, to hear things directly from my most junior sailors. You’d be surprised how much can be learned from talking to the folks who are at the “bottom” of the organizational chart.

United Airlines went from having two hollow-suit CEOs who talked only to other members of the C suite and members of the board, to two CEOs, who got out among the “troops”. It is a powerful difference, and an example of what leadership does to turn a company around.

The positive change I see in the airline is dramatic. I feel like I’m back at the airline that hired me in 1997 and the industry leader. A company I’m proud of.

* On one occasion, I met Oscar, because he was simply walking down the C concourse in Newark. Stopping to chat with flight attendants, gate agents, and yes, two pilots, including me, who were just sitting in a public space catching up. He visited all of his domiciles, talked with all of his employees. You’d find ramp guys and mechanics who had met Oscar, and talked with him.

My wife and I saw Oscar at a gate in Washington Dulles back in June. He was deeply involved in a phone conversation, and out of respect I didn’t want to disturb him.

So I simply took one of my business cards and wrote on the back, “thank you for your leadership.” I handed it to him without a word and walked back to my seat. I am sincere in my appreciation of his leader ship. I remain grateful for a CEO who liked to “walk the deck plates”.

Last edited:

Before 9/11, United was great airline. We had a solid CEO, and we were the top of the industry, the largest, most profitable, airline in the world. We flew the world. One afternoon in Narita, I saw 12 United 747s at the terminal- more than any other carrier, including Japan Air Lines.

But United was unprepared for the dramatic shift in flying that happened after the NASDAQ implosion in early 2000, and the subsequent financial shock of 911 drove the airline into bankruptcy.

In bankruptcy, the CEO was a former oil guy whose job was to strip the airline, sell off the assets, get costs lowered, look for a merger or sale. His name was Glen Tilton, and he was widely reviled by United employees, that is the 40% of employees who remained with the company after his program was completed, the rest were gone. It was a bloodbath of layoffs and dramatic pay cuts.

The merger with Continental in 2010 brought yet another CEO with no experience running an airline. A Harvard Law- trained lawyer. Again, widely reviled…also not very successful. He was a face in a suit. He lacked any kind of leadership.

What changed the airline was a CEO named Oscar Munoz who came in in 2014. I’ve actually met Oscar personally a couple of times, and I continue to be impressed. Oscar came from the railroad industry, so while not directly an airline, at least he understood things like schedules, and unions, and complex, expensive rolling stock.

What made Oscar different? He was a people person. He articulated a vision for United going forward. He hired the best people. He engaged* with Frontline employees. Leadership.

One of his good picks was our current, CEO, Scott Kirby, who Oscar brazenly poached from American Airlines. It’s Scott Kirby that has continued the change that Oscar initiated. Empowering employees, fixing things that were broken. Many of those things were cultural, and structural, not easy to fix…not simple. But like turning a supertanker, it takes a while, and a firm idea of where we should go. Scott is proud of this new airplane order.

So am I.

In the Navy, when I was in command, I would “walk the deck plates“. I firmly supported the chain of command, but I also wanted to see things for myself, to hear things directly from my most junior sailors. You’d be surprised how much can be learned from talking to the folks who are at the “bottom” of the organizational chart.

United Airlines went from having two hollow-suit CEOs who talked only to other members of the C suite and members of the board, to two CEOs, who got out among the “troops”. It is a powerful difference, and an example of what leadership does to turn a company around.

The positive change I see in the airline is dramatic. I feel like I’m back at the airline that hired me in 1997 and the industry leader. A company I’m proud of.

* On one occasion, I met Oscar, because he was simply walking down the C concourse in Newark. Stopping to chat with flight attendants, gate agents, and yes, two pilots, including me, who were just sitting in a public space catching up. He visited all of his domiciles, talked with all of his employees. You’d find ramp guys and mechanics who had met Oscar, and talked with him.

My wife and I saw Oscar at a gate in Washington Dulles back in June. He was deeply involved in a phone conversation, and out of respect I didn’t want to disturb him.

So I simply took one of my business cards and wrote on the back, “thank you for your leadership.” I handed it to him without a word and walked back to my seat. I am sincere in my appreciation of his leader ship. I remain grateful for a CEO who liked to “walk the deck plates”.
Thought Smisek was 1995-2015 CO+UA … He was known around Houston for fast cars and fast driving on public roads - not a great image for a safety intensive industry …
As a passenger - I preferred CO back then as they brought us business first and other airlines followed with 2 cabin configurations (think it was Oscar that dubbed it Polaris) … then continued to bring us more 1-2-1 cabins that are totally awesome …

So am I.

Didn't Munoz mess up the response to David Dao being removed from a flight? I seem to recall that was a massive PR blunder.

Didn't Munoz mess up the response to David Dao being removed from a flight? I seem to recall that was a massive PR blunder.
The whole affair was a massive PR issue.

Initially, what he said was technically accurate - that the gate agent was United Express (a subcontractor) and the officers were O'Hare airport police (over whom we have no control).

But that didn't sit well with anyone - so,

He took full responsibility.
He apologized to Dr. Dao.
He apologized to our customers.
He implemented sweeping policy changes.

Including reducing overbookings, and giving gate agents a great deal more authority to offer incentives for people to take later flights.

He empowered employees, gave them the tools to avoid a similar situation.

Look, Dr. Dao was no saint. He claims to be a medical Dr. but pretended he didn't speak English when the police came to talk with him. He refused to follow their directions. He walked off the plane with them, then broke free and ran from them to go back on board. If you're in custody, running into a dead end isn't the best strategy. Then he physically resisted arrest. Again, not a great strategy if you're in custody.

None of that mattered.

The public made up their mind on the basis of social media. The flames of outrage were fanned by it.

So, Oscar stood up, took the heat, in public, went on morning shows, got excoriated, then fixed what needed to be fixed, ensured it would never happen again, and moved on.

Thought Smisek was 1995-2015 CO+UA … He was known around Houston for fast cars and fast driving on public roads - not a great image for a safety intensive industry …
As a passenger - I preferred CO back then as they brought us business first and other airlines followed with 2 cabin configurations (think it was Oscar that dubbed it Polaris) … then continued to bring us more 1-2-1 cabins that are totally awesome …
Polaris is a whole different product than Businessfirst. Much nicer. I may have been off by a year, but yes, Smisek was around until then. He got his Golden Parachute.

Polaris is a whole different product than Businessfirst. Much nicer. I may have been off by a year, but yes, Smisek was around until then. He got his Golden Parachute.
CO got 2 cabin wide body going strong - and Bethune made a number of improvements …
Very familiar with both products … and the evolution since 1991.
Fact is - many 3 cabin aircraft had a mediocre BC before 2 cabin became popular …

So United has gone all-in on the 787?
This illustrates that the airline is banking heavily on international routes.
Good for them since the 787 is the prime choice for almost any route the airline might fly.
As an aside, it wasn't just one airline cheering on the 737 Max. There were others as well, including the operator who once had the largest single type fleet in the MD-80 in the world.

Back