Purolator failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Filter looks put through the wringer.

Start by using an appropriate oil. Mobil 10W-30 doesn't meet the specs for your vehicle and you've likely been beating it into Oblivion with your extended drains and usage pattern.

You need a Porsche A40-approved oil; ACEA A3/B4 at a minimum. Only use Mann, Mahle, or Hengst filters.

I would also look into replacing your filter bypass valve.

Porsche recommends Mobil 1 0w40 or 5w30 if I'm not mistaken
I highly doubt a 5w or 10w oil would make that big of a difference, even up here in the northeast, no?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Yep, looks like too much delta-p going on. The cold weather start-ups with thicker than specified oil doesn't help. Internal bypass valve might not be working correctly either.

+1

Originally Posted By: wemay
There is way too little information about this situation, and the information known points towards questionable regimen.

What else do you want to know?

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Wavy pleating is supposed to be caused by moisture/water. Do you short trip this vehicle a lot?

Yes the daily commute is less than 3 miles one way, all local and back roads. In that time (10 mins), oil probably does heat up, but not to operating temps. Probably up to 100 or 150F - operating temp is 200F
the car does get taken out on longer trips over the weekends, sometimes but mostly it lives a tough commute.

Yep, looks like too much delta-p going on. The cold weather start-ups with thicker than specified oil doesn't help. Internal bypass valve might not be working correctly either.

Have to look up what that is...

Originally Posted By: gtmaster303
I highly doubt a 5w or 10w oil would make that big of a difference, even up here in the northeast, no?

Porsche recommends Mobil 1 0W-40, which is Porsche A40 approved.

It is not the viscosity that is the issue here. It is your driving habits combine with your long drain intervals on an oil not designed or approved to handle it.

Change the oil and filter to something appropriate, and change your filter bypass valve, which should be integral to the cap.

Filter looks put through the wringer.

Start by using an appropriate oil. Mobil 10W-30 doesn't meet the specs for your vehicle and you've likely been beating it into Oblivion with your extended drains and usage pattern.

You need a Porsche A40-approved oil; ACEA A3/B4 at a minimum. Only use Mann, Mahle, or Hengst filters.

I would also look into replacing your filter bypass valve.

Agreed! My first thought was: "This dude's got a Porsche and went cheap on his filter?"

There is way too little information about this situation, and the information known points towards questionable regimen.

You started the whole thread with very little information.

Porsche recommends Mobil 1 0W-40, which is Porsche A40 approved.

It is not the viscosity that is the issue here. It is your driving habits combine with your long drain intervals on an oil not designed or approved to handle it.

Change the oil and filter to something appropriate, and change your filter bypass valve, which should be integral to the cap.

And if the driving pattern remains the same ~ an annual change may be the more realistic OCI for oil/filter …

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/Purolator-L25545-Oil-Filter/dp/B000E8XFEQ

The new filter looks fine, not a lot of choices in this size. I think it's a case of where the high mileage and extended drain current fashion just don't apply. They say up to whatever miles, not for all cases though. This is a good example of that nonsense marketing competition. I would do 3k oil and filter changes using a recommended oil for those harsh conditions, but I tend to over maintain rather than under.
This filter says UP TO 5K miles.
Where did some of the end caps go, it had to go into the engine. That's a LOT of missing end cap material, looking at the new one.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Agreed! My first thought was: "This dude's got a Porsche and went cheap on his filter?"

Hold on there. Some Purolator cartridges are reboxed "made in Germany" Mann filters.

Some of them. The rest are made in Mexico.

In any case, though the filter may be a marginal choice, it isn't really the issue here. It's more his choice of oil and usage habits.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
And if the driving pattern remains the same ~ an annual change may be the more realistic OCI for oil/filter …

I bet Porsche says 10k/1yr.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

I bet Porsche says 10k/1yr.

So OP would be more like 7500/1 year … no shame in that, right?
It’s just Walmart M1 0w40 … got some for $23 a jug recently …

Porsche recommends Mobile 1 5W30 up to 10K miles / 1 year for the V6.

The user went 11K miles in 18 months using a filter made by Purolator and a 10W30 oil. Lots of short trips and cold starts.

If the vehicle were mine, I would clean/repair/replace the oil bypass valve, do a couple of 3K oil and filter changes and resume with 5K-6K oil and filter changes. 10K / 1 year is too long for short tripping and temperatures less than 50F. Using the OEM recommended cartridges is a good idea. We know the Purolator media is brittle.

Have to look up what that is...

Change in pressure.

I'm thinking a really cold morning, the 10w rated oil, and some sudden acceleration. Big spike in pressure, maybe more than the bypass could handle.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

You started the whole thread with very little information.

Driving style?
Why M1 10w30?
Yours since new?
Any major engine repairs?

Sounds like you're right ZeeOSix.

I would be really concerned where all that end cap went, and those tabs on the end cap end. If in the engine, that is not the best.
Humans have a tendency to not see details at first, like the fine print in oil change interval recommendations. That tendency to see only the large print is what the marketers take advantage of. I saw it on a nature show or something.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back