PUP--Why did opinions change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I remember way back when Mobil 1 15W50 red cap was THEE legendary thick oil.

I also recall a few people on here using Castrol Syntec 5w50, or at least they would mix it with their thinner oils to thicken them up a bit.

Too many Unicorns being slain in the production of it. On store shelves exactly nowhere. Walmart online is frequently out of or charging $50 many times.

Ran it for a while, then said was going to stop using an oil so hard to obtain.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I remember way back when Mobil 1 15W50 red cap was THEE legendary thick oil.

I also recall a few people on here using Castrol Syntec 5w50, or at least they would mix it with their thinner oils to thicken them up a bit.

Here's a rare bird I remember that wasn't around for very long,Syntec 20W50.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
We have had a few name brand oils over the years here at BITOG go through these phases. I remember one in particular, GERMAN CASTROL.
Everyone was CRAZY
crazy2.gif
about this oil! Then like a light switch, the popularity was shut off.

One of the things that turned out GC's lights was the eventual availability of other A3/B4 options in 5 quart jugs, the same thing that turned out the lights for synthetic HDEOs in Euro applications.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
We have had a few name brand oils over the years here at BITOG go through these phases. I remember one in particular, GERMAN CASTROL.
Everyone was CRAZY
crazy2.gif

One of the things that turned out GC's lights was the eventual availability of other A3/B4 options in 5 quart jugs, the same thing that turned out the lights for synthetic HDEOs in Euro applications.
wink.gif

I always felt that the switch from the green formula to the gold formula of GC was it's fall from grace on here. A lot of people, myself included, just didn't even try the gold GC, we felt like we were losing an old friend when they reformulated it.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Everyone was CRAZY
crazy2.gif

wink.gif

I always felt that the switch from the green formula to the gold formula of GC was it's fall from grace on here. A lot of people, myself included, just didn't even try the gold GC, we felt like we were losing an old friend when they reformulated it.

Yeah, it's like that saying, "A deflated balloon." That's how everyone seemed to be after it turned gold. But, you have to admit, the only other colored oil was/is Royal Purple. And, when the green GC came along, it had an added bonus, it smelled like gummy bears.
20.gif

After all of that hype and everyone buying it up like rabid dogs, I only bought 1 qt.
21.gif

That didn't help either, but the container size was never helpful. I used the gold a time or two, but that's when CT would still have sales on 1 litre bottles.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Nick1994 said:
I really don't care if any local stores stock PUP. For example, I used to go to Walmart all the time. I have become tired of the drive to the stores. Tired of bums & beggars with gas cans wanting money for gas or money for food (read drugs and booze). Tired of the dirty stores. Tired of the slack jawed unhappy employees who could care less whether you are happy or not. Tired of worrying that some pathetic customer returned the oil jugs full of water. Tired of the unwashed and diseased customers who sneeze on you and leave their soiled tissues in the cart (I now wear a surgical mask during my few visits to Walmart). Tired of carts that don't roll or vibrate so bad you cannot hold on to them. I could add a lot more to the list but do not want to offend anyone. I now order most everything from Amazon. If I have to pay a premium on some items I am glad to do so.

And that was BEFORE he left home.
eek.gif

Between marketing and the supply chain, along with ongoing improvements in oils generally, it's getting to the point where between SOPUS, Exxon-Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline/NAPA, and even Supertech, there's not that much difference in the long run.

PUP is spotty at the local Wallyworld, but Supertech's Synthetic always seems to be in stock. Either it's not moving, or they just push a whole lot of it, especially since it's $11.00 a jug cheaper than PUP or M1.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Tired of bums & beggars [at Walmart] with gas cans wanting money for gas or money for food (read drugs and booze). Tired of the dirty stores. Tired of the slack jawed unhappy employees who could care less whether you are happy or not. Tired of worrying that some pathetic customer returned the oil jugs full of water. Tired of the unwashed and diseased customers who sneeze on you and leave their soiled tissues in the cart (I now wear a surgical mask during my few visits to Walmart). Tired of carts that don't roll or vibrate so bad you cannot hold on to them.

Okay, I missed something. Without all those attributes, it just wouldn't be Walmart !
19.gif

( BTW, pepper spray is wonderful stuff. Spray early, spray often. )

I'm sure that availability (or lack of it) is the primary reason why PUP is losing popularity. I've never seen it in the stores and have always had to order it online. More concerning, however, is the fact that SOPUS has not reformulated it to meet Dexos1 Gen2 like they have with their "plain vanilla" PP. This may well suggest that PUP is not long for this world.

I think when the NOACK went up, people stopped fawning over it. Back then, it was outstandingly low volatility but today is a different story. NOACK has gotten a bunch of pub since then and formulators are taking volatility seriously.

tldr: competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back