Scrapped the 2009 Ford Flex today...after almost 15 years of ownership

The 2009 Ford Flex SEL FWD was driven to the local scrap yard today, I made my wife do the final ride because the car was originally her car when our two boys were younger. The final milage was 283410 km or 176100 miles. The nicest ride for a long trip with tall people.

The body rust, the broken parking brake cable, the loose steering, the door mirrors about to fall off, the HVAC system blowing blend door motors like I eat pretzels, it was time. Ironically when I tried to donate to those "cash for cars" charities it was ignored. It still drove, sometimes the CEL was not even on.
Last straw was that this car was driven by my youngest sons GF, but they broke up after 3 years, so it was not needed and even when we offered it to the ex GF she declined. I agree with her decision.

We paid $41,800 CAD before tax in 2009 and today we got $650 CAD. Approximately $0.145 CAD per kilometre for depreciation.

Interesting things we never had to replace in 15 years:

CV axles & boots
Front Struts
Rear Automatic Hatch Struts
Radiator
Engine & Transmission
All brake hoses & lines
MAF sensor
Ignition Coils
Window regulators or anything inside the 4 doors.

Over the almost 15 years we spent:
$4,829 CAD on maintenance
$10,683 CAD on repairs
$3958 CAD on tires, snow tires, alloy rims for snows.

I am happy that it's gone because in the last year I dreaded every time I got a text that something was broken. I'm free!!!

14.5 cents per mile deprecation, 11 cents repairs and maintenance. Maybe 17 cents gas plus insurance. I guess 43 cents Canadian (31 US) is about right.

18866 kms per year x 15 years is o.k. for service life. If not for the rust it probably would have been worth fixing the mechanical issues for someone, given the cost of new or decent used vehicles now. Did this have the 3.5 litre with the chain driven internal water pump?

I couldn't live in a salt belt. I like snow as much as the next person but all things in moderation, have a 1998 and 2004 vehicle that don't have a spec of rust on them.
Nothing to do with snow. Plenty of snow here in western CO but very arid unless there's actual rain or snow actively falling.

18866 kms per year x 15 years is o.k. for service life. If not for the rust it probably would have been worth fixing the mechanical issues for someone, given the cost of new or decent used vehicles now. Did this have the 3.5 litre with the chain driven internal water pump?
It had the normally aspirated 3.5L V6 and I did the waterpump and timing chains myself 5 years ago as a preventative measure. The original WP was not actually leaking, but the engine was at 207k km and I had the time... Never leaked oil or coolant after the job.

14.5 cents per mile deprecation, 11 cents repairs and maintenance. Maybe 17 cents gas plus insurance. I guess 43 cents Canadian (31 US) is about right.
Actually $0.47 CAD lifetime operation costs per kilometre, our fuel costs are higher and insurance was expensive with the younger adults driving.

Reactions: MM8
Nothing to do with snow. Plenty of snow here in western CO but very arid unless there's actual rain or snow actively falling.
+2

My brother lives in Colorado also and he says typically when it does snow, they plow the streets and then the sun comes out and the next day it's gone because it is 60 degrees. They don't use salt where he lives.

The 2009 Ford Flex SEL FWD was driven to the local scrap yard today, I made my wife do the final ride because the car was originally her car when our two boys were younger. The final milage was 283410 km or 176100 miles. The nicest ride for a long trip with tall people.

The body rust, the broken parking brake cable, the loose steering, the door mirrors about to fall off, the HVAC system blowing blend door motors like I eat pretzels, it was time. Ironically when I tried to donate to those "cash for cars" charities it was ignored. It still drove, sometimes the CEL was not even on.
Last straw was that this car was driven by my youngest sons GF, but they broke up after 3 years, so it was not needed and even when we offered it to the ex GF she declined. I agree with her decision.

We paid $41,800 CAD before tax in 2009 and today we got $650 CAD. Approximately $0.145 CAD per kilometre for depreciation.

Interesting things we never had to replace in 15 years:

CV axles & boots
Front Struts
Rear Automatic Hatch Struts
Radiator
Engine & Transmission
All brake hoses & lines
MAF sensor
Ignition Coils
Window regulators or anything inside the 4 doors.

Over the almost 15 years we spent:
$4,829 CAD on maintenance
$10,683 CAD on repairs
$3958 CAD on tires, snow tires, alloy rims for snows.

I am happy that it's gone because in the last year I dreaded every time I got a text that something was broken. I'm free!!!
Good for you and I think that you got your money's worth out of it.

Now that I live in the snow belt too, I'm in the process of changing my car buying strategy from buying new to buying low mileage used southern cars since we are in Florida several times a year to visit family.

Some poor person would have liked that for that price, maybe? I don't think wrecking yards around here would give more than 200. for it.

Surprised you didn't have tranny issues. I heard that was common.
I did drain the fluid every 65k kilometres, so that might have made the difference. It shifted just fine & never gave any sign of trouble.

This is what we all preach at BITOG, do the preventative maintenance and hopefully enjoy reliability, right?

Back