PUP--Why did opinions change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: incognito_2u
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

....Tired of bums & beggars with gas cans wanting money for gas or money for food (read drugs and booze). Tired of the dirty stores. Tired of the slack jawed unhappy employees who could care less whether you are happy or not. Tired of worrying that some pathetic customer returned the oil jugs full of water. Tired of the unwashed and diseased customers who sneeze on you and leave their soiled tissues in the cart....

Describes my last visit to the Walmart to a "T" !!!

LOL on my worst day coming home from work all filthy and nasty looking I feel comfortable there.

The SL version of PUP was its most impressive performer, from what I can gather and gander. I remember getting some of the SN on clearance at AZ circa 2015 or 16.

Last edited:
PUP has proven itself as the oil that stands out in hemi's as having the best wear numbers. Hemi's are high wear engines, most oils have wear numbers that would scare a honda owner, and repeatedly PUP would have lower wear numbers against the competition. You had the Pennzoil program here, we had it in a hemi forum as well.

Not saying it is the best oil for the hemi, but I've seen no oil beat it's wear numbers. Plus, their 0w40 was made specifically for the Hemi, they made it 40 weight to increase the protection, added high moly to deal with some issues the hemi is having, and of course is one of if not the highest detergent oil you can get thus keeping lifters clean. Usually, this would increase wear (high detergency) however Pennzoil must have figured something out because that is not the case.

If there is a weakness with PUP, yes distribution is beyond disappointing and their lower visc oils seam to leave the engines a little louder then other brands. I have heard this from many many folks. My wife's SUV which calls for 5w20, was a rattle trap with m1 5w20, but is butter smooth on PUP 5w30, yes I do realize many 5w30's would likely be the same, but I'm keeping her on PUP with a fram ultra and we will see how long I get that engine too. too early to say, but I'm sold on PUP so far a few years into it. I don't use it in the Hemi, but in our forum Pennzoil synthetics are number one, followed by mobil 1, and then redline oil as top 3 oils in use. Amsoil is number 4. The hemi has unique challenges so guys put a lot of thought into their lubrication strategy, PUP has proven itself a great choice.

I'm currently using PUP 5W-20 in my 3.5 Duratec and it seems to like it. Got it cheap on amazon and got a $10 mail in rebate, so the entire oil change ended up costing $26.

It meets WSS-M2C945-A and SN so I cant go wrong really.

I'm not one to special order oil. I'd rather walk in a store and buy a jug, preferrably on clearance.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Many posters here are fickle, or inconsistent about which oil to use. Brand names come and brand names go. Human nature.
exactly

I remember a few years ago Ultra was nicknamed "Pennzoil Unobtanium" because it was literally nowhere to be found for purchase
laugh.gif

I kinda laugh at all the availability comments, yet nobody seems to gripe about Amsoil or Redline availability! LMAO

I've used it in the past, but don't see a huge benefit over regular Pennzoil Platinum that can be found anywhere. Only claim it has is it keeps pistons 25% cleaner than M1 and PP is only 8%.
Starting to really like my German Castrol though so will probably stick with that for awhile anyway. One of the few "true" synthetics left you can buy on the shelf and very reasonably priced.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
I kinda laugh at all the availability comments, yet nobody seems to gripe about Amsoil or Redline availability! LMAO

This is because Amsoil and Redline are "niche" oils and not mainstream major company PCMO oils.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I tried Ultra when it came out, that was two Corvettes ago, in my old 98 (which I traded in 2013) I was happy with the results with it, but I stopped using it because they stopped carrying it at Walmart and Canadian Tire in Canada (and I wasn't travelling to the US like I often do now).

Coincidentally, I just bought a jug of Ultra Platinum 5w20 last week from Canadian Tire, to use in my Civic on the next interval. It seems to be very readily available here now. I'm hoping it holds it's viscosity better than M1 0w20, which has always thinned out a lot, even on the reports with zero fuel dilution.

Go to a ACEA rated oil, far superior imho. Like GC 0/30. ACEA A3/B4

Originally Posted By: jongies3

I've used it in the past, but don't see a huge benefit over regular Pennzoil Platinum that can be found anywhere. Only claim it has is it keeps pistons 25% cleaner than M1 and PP is only 8%.
Starting to really like my German Castrol though so will probably stick with that for awhile anyway. One of the few "true" synthetics left you can buy on the shelf and very reasonably priced.

I can walk into multiple store in metro denver and buy redline and/or Amsoil. I can't do that for PUP, unless you know where it is in stock

My opinion didn't change. Once they get smart and start using those "intelligent molecules" I'll consider using PUP.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd say the lack of ease of availability would be the number #1 reason. Then when AMZN or WMT finally gets it in stock you have to buy quickly or end up not being able to get it for several weeks or more. People get tired of that and move on. Finding it on the shelves in a retail establishment is next to impossible in many regions, so for many of us the only way of getting it is online.

This ^^

availability - On my DD I had at one time gone to Kendall because I found a local seller for it so I bought a case of it. Then when I used it up I went to buy more and he no longer carried it so I switched oil because of availability (Pennzoil).

Note just last week I went in the local AZ for stuff and some guy asked where is the MagnaTec? Store employee says they no longer carry it. I asked why and he didn't know, just no longer stocked.
When I was departing the fella was still scratching his melon trying to figure what oil he was to switch to. I had recently though of trying the MagnaTec but just didn't pull myself switcheng to try it.

I'd like to get jugs with foil seals but my Pennzoil doesn't do this. I ordered jugs of it on line and one jug had a slight leak, not enough to matter but enough it was obvious it leaked and wet the jug, so I'd rather buy locally if I can and like to stick what's going to be available for at least a while.

I normally use PYB but last week did a OC with the Platinum as I used the rewards and just felt like "why not".

Last edited:
I'm glad all Pennzoil oils are relatively easy for me to get. I currently have a decent stash of PUP for my wife's Impala and my Ram. I just hope it remains fairly easy to get.

Originally Posted By: lukejo
It seems like it was about 3 years ago when BITOG was all abuzz for PUP.
The UOA's were returning incredible numbers (and still do).
I've noticed most of the real cheerleading has subsided since then. That surprises me somewhat, especially at times like this when online supply is plentiful at ~ $24/5qt plus $10 MIR.
For those that remember those days on here,
is it because:
--the extremely low NOACK was revised and is now higher? Were there other formula changes that we know of?
--or, most are finding PP to have equal results? BTW, do we know the difference...PUP just have more boron?
--or, because PUP is still not touted as extended drain and new formulas like M1 EP have hit the market?
--or, people got weary of the inconsistent availability?
I'm interested in hearing opinions.

We have had a few name brand oils over the years here at BITOG go through these phases. I remember one in particular, GERMAN CASTROL.
Everyone was CRAZY
crazy2.gif
about this oil! Then like a light switch, the popularity was shut off. Another oil that went through these phases was Chevron Supreme. It wasn't as crazy as GC, but it had its 5 minutes of fame.
Do you old timers remember the old days when these oils were going through this? Ah, the good ole days.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

We have had a few name brand oils over the years here at BITOG go through these phases. I remember one in particular, GERMAN CASTROL.
Everyone was CRAZY
crazy2.gif
about this oil! Then like a light switch, the popularity was shut off. Another oil that went through these phases was Chevron Supreme. It wasn't as crazy as GC, but it had its 5 minutes of fame.
Do you old timers remember the old days when these oils were going through this? Ah, the good ole days.
smile.gif

I absolutely remember those days! Does anyone remember in the very early days of BITOG (pre-2002 actually, the previous forum before this one formed) when Valvoline Maxlife was popular, due to it's original formula being loaded up with moly. Then we were all disappointed when they reformulated it and reduced the moly to practically nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back