Preowned SUV reliable models.

I never had brake issues like that with any of my LC’s, I do replace rotors when the pads wear out and centric premiums work great. None of my LC’s had the air suspension so I can’t speak for that.
It is well known, probably most talked issue on GX470/Prado, the booster/MC issue. It led to complete brake failures in some cars. Air suspension is junk.

My point is, that is not the car that should be recommended. Besides the fact that uses gas like MIG21.

My daughter is an outdoors oriented person going on long hikes, camping, backpacking trips, skiing, kayaking etc. She has a 2018 CRV with 115K miles on it. It has only had two repairs, a radio software update and cleaning debris out of the radiator shutters. Dad makes sure the maintenance is done right because he doesn’t want her getting stranded in the boonies! If she was to get a new car it would probably be another CRV.

try to get vinyl/leatherette seats. (IMO)

Much easier to clean and needs no maintenance. Auto normies still think that it's leather.

But Nashville/southern summer sunlight might be an issue, especially in black

I also saw a CX3. I’m assuming it’s just a smaller CUV
Thoughts?

CX3 is too small, in my opinion.

If my kid was a "city girl", I'd 100% recommend the CX3.

IMO, the CX5's cargo space is at the lowest end of the range that you want for an outdoors person.

The CX5's roof line makes the cargo space much smaller than it could be

CX3 is too small, in my opinion.

If my kid was a "city girl", I'd 100% recommend the CX3.

IMO, the CX5's cargo space is at the lowest end of the range that you want for an outdoors person.

The CX5's roof line makes the cargo space much smaller than it could be
When I bought in 2019 we discounted the CX5 immediately. Way to small interior vs competition - aka Rav4/CR-V. It is a very nice car however.

One question for the Mazda faithful - I had heard here and elsewhere the Mazda automatics are not the greatest. Not to say a CVT isn't worse - but based on all the recommendations I am just wondering?

One question for the Mazda faithful - I had heard here and elsewhere the Mazda automatics are not the greatest. Not to say a CVT isn't worse - but based on all the recommendations I am just wondering?

unfortunately as a normie, I don't have access to data re. failure rates like a warranty company or GM-Toyota-Mazda HQ.

so pretty much it's a half-arse, educated guess based on gut...

The CX5's transmission ( FW6AX-EL ) been in production for 10+ years. And on any random youtube video or forum, odds are you hear people fret about CVTs more.

given OP wants long-term reliability, and is looking used, I'll take a random, Made in Japan, 6-speed AT over a random CVT with the same miles.

No guarantees, just playing the odds.

We talked more yesterday and she’s leaning towards RAV4, Mazda, or a Subaru as a coworker has a Subaru outback and likes it

Also Hyundai Tucson. Looks like third generation 2020 model and fourth generation 2023 get good reliability ratings

Also Hyundai Tucson. Looks like third generation 2020 model and fourth generation 2023 get good reliability ratings
Add Honda CRV to the list. She’ll be shopping this weekend and hope to narrow it down further

How about a Rav4 hybrid? I know nothing about them.

In my opinion, used hybrids are overpriced.

And unless you drive >20,000 miles a year and/or live in a extreme-gas-tax state, the payback period for all hybrids is too long/not worth it unless you throw in other factors like brake pads lasting longer, Toyota's hybrid CVT, etc.

That said---used cars are always about the unique circumstances of each vehicle. I'd wholeheartedly recommend "overpaying" (within reason) for a RAV4 hybrid if it came from the an old lady who was meticulous about maintenance at the dealer and only drove 6,000 a year.

$25 grand is close to new money base rav4, but you need to expand your search area. Southern gulf Toyota distributor dealers are painful

assuming they would actually use a proper SUV like you mentioned (camping and kayaking with dogs) maybe look at 4runners?
25k buys a pretty decent one out here but you will have to go a bit older than 5 model years though
4runners have a pricier day to day cost with tires and fuel etc. BUT they do open up a lot more possibilities for adventuring and allows them to go places with less riff raff
they also have more room inside for gear and passengers
I've also seen some excellent deals on 2nd generation Xterras for much cheaper than 25k but they stopped making em in 2015 so there is that

otherwise I like both of the little Mazda CUVs
my ex wife recently bought a brand new Chevy Trax which genuinely surprised the heck out of me but the jury is still out on them

fwiw I have an 05' 4wd Xterra and its just about the right size for me my two shepherd dogs and a couple friends on a camping or backpacking trip. It also allows us to go pretty deep innawoods away from most of the common folk

Last edited:
I know you asked about cuv/suv but with the trucks you can keep the mess outside the vehicle.

2021 Nissan Titan $21799

2014 F150 $18999 low miles

2019 ford explorer police interceptor $16700

Last edited:
My daughter is in Nashville and in need of a reliable preowned SUV something within the last five years. Budget around $25,000. Since she is on her own and not a car person reliability is the number one factor. Thanks in advance for suggestions
CX5, RAV4 (but not with 2.4L i4), CR-V (but not with 1.5L i4)

Agreed. Does she really need a SUV? My son bought this brand new Corolla last summer for just over 23k.
Why anyone willingly buys cars anymore is beyond me.

Whenever I drive a car these days it’s completely infuriating. You can’t see anything past all the tall vehicles around you.

I know you asked about cuv/suv but with the trucks you can keep the mess outside the vehicle.

2021 Nissan Titan $21799

Rebuilt title.
2014 F150 $18999 low miles

A decade-old vehicle with 78,000 miles might be low for the year but it’s still high mileage overall. Not a bad deal if you can deal with the older vehicle issues, size, and thirst.
2019 ford explorer police interceptor $16700

Pretty risky. Could be a clapped-out police vehicle. Good deal for a shadetree mechanic, not so much for someone who just wants a reliable ride.

Did you look at the Explorer pictures?
78,000 is not a lot of miles.
I wasn't necessarily recommending those particular vehicles. Just using them as examples of other ideas for consideration.

Last edited:
Back