Preowned SUV reliable models.

I guess the 78000 miles as high is a matter of perspective then. My truck has over 300000 miles. The Jeep has over 207000 miles. The F150 has over 195000 miles. My moms Mazda has over 200000.

CX-5. made in Japan. built like a vault. handle like a hatch. not expensive to maintain. easy to find parts. good resale value. well made cabin. not the best for fuel economy and not the most roomy. if well maintained, will last longer than plutonium. 2.5t turbo engine available for model year 2019.
This would be my choice and usually what I suggest when people ask.

It is well known, probably most talked issue on GX470/Prado, the booster/MC issue. It led to complete brake failures in some cars. Air suspension is junk.

My point is, that is not the car that should be recommended. Besides the fact that uses gas like MIG21.
The MC problems are ignored and progress because they are so expensive. People ignore an ABS light when the repair is $2k. When fixed when the problem shows up, it's a non issue. Gas usage is something to consider.

You can’t reason with people that yes, a lot of stuff on Toyota is expensive to fix. Ask me how I know.
Yes-but for those things to go out (generally) you are looking at a well used vehicle. So-you picked it up with some depreciation. Well used vehicles and repairs are a thing. That's a fact.

Yes-but for those things to go out (generally) you are looking at a well used vehicle. So-you picked it up with some depreciation. Well used vehicles and repairs are a thing. That's a fact.
These issues I mentioned were happening on young vehicles. And happened repeatedly.
Take into consideration that on new Sequoia wastegate valves were failing at 500mls and required body to be lifted off the frame, bcs. Well, good engineering.
Wastegate is not uncommon to fail even when they are designed good. So, they do have ridiculous issues.
But, recommending GX470 with those set of requirements that OP posted is bit of a stretch.

Did you look at the Explorer pictures?
78,000 is not a lot of miles.
I wasn't necessarily recommending those particular vehicles. Just using them as examples of other ideas for consideration.
The full-size SUVs may be too intimidating. She’s used to smaller vehicles and would probably feel more comfortable driving a compact SUV. Right now, CX5 seems to be her choice based on looks alone. She has not had a chance to test drive. Today was a washout in Nashville

These issues I mentioned were happening on young vehicles. And happened repeatedly.
Take into consideration that on new Sequoia wastegate valves were failing at 500mls and required body to be lifted off the frame, bcs. Well, good engineering.
Wastegate is not uncommon to fail even when they are designed good. So, they do have ridiculous issues.
But, recommending GX470 with those set of requirements that OP posted is bit of a stretch.
I would still recommend a GX470 as long he's not the Lexus IS type owner. Landcruisers last forever not because they never break but because they can be fixed fairly easily and almost always give you a warning that something needs fixing.

Many on here act like lifting a body off the frame is a big deal-at a dealer it really isn't. Ford Dealers do it all the time, and so do Toyota Dealers. IT'S NOT REALLY A BIG DEAL.
Yes-Toyota had some early waste gate issues. But they were not lined up around the block for repair either,

Many on here act like lifting a body off the frame is a big deal-at a dealer it really isn't. Ford Dealers do it all the time, and so do Toyota Dealers. IT'S NOT REALLY A BIG DEAL.
Yes-Toyota had some early waste gate issues. But they were not lined up around the block for repair either,
Lol. It is really not big deal when you have 500mls on the vehicle.
Add to that abysmal fit and finish, cracking seats etc.

I would still recommend a GX470 as long he's not the Lexus IS type owner. Landcruisers last forever not because they never break but because they can be fixed fairly easily and almost always give you a warning that something needs fixing.
They are DYI vehicles. If I needed true off roader, GX470 would be definitely one of the top choices. I really like their interior, Mark&Levinson audio system etc. BUT, not everyone finds crappy brakes as challenge to find solution, upgrading from air suspension to springs as something normal, etc, etc.

An option is to look for a low miles 2015-17 Jeep Patriot with the 2.4 engine and the Hyundai 6spd. Avoid the CVT equipped models altogether. People might laugh at them, but they are reliable with the right powertrain combo. Plenty of high mileage models with minimal maintenance running about. Sock the $9-10k away in a savings bank or VTI and let it grow for your daughter for when she needs it. Surely not a fancy ride compared to the Toyotas and Mazdas, but should meet the criteria in the original post and save you a decent amount of money too. That era Compass with the same powertrain are also an option.

Here’s one not terribly far from Knoxville:

My daughter decided on the CX-5.

imo, the only problematic thing with the CX5 are the OEM Yokohama tires----they are 280 AA rated.

once you get past 15,000 miles, they don't like to be pushed to the limit.....especially in wet, icy, snowy weather.

If you have those tires, take it easy in bad weather until you get a feel for the car.

traction and the very firm ride improve w/different good tires.

and ps, the wipers are an annoyingly rare hook type. don't throw away the factory wipers, so that you can get wiper refills

happy trails.

Last edited:
Thoughts on preowned rental vehicles? Carmax is pretty expensive however there are some good deals at local car lots for rental owned Mazda CX – 5

Back