PP or M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: HKPolice
M1 all the way. Group IV base stock = better cold start viscosity.

Not so sure about that. I think it was said that traditional regular Mobil 1 was more group III and only Extended Performance had some Group IV. It's been debated so much on here that I truly don't know anymore what each Mobil 1 product has in it. What about Mobil 1 High mileage? I wonder if the Annual Protection is Grp IV? I would love to know the TRUE answer but I will continue to be a Mobil 1 user regardless because the products are excellent regardless of base stock being used. Group IV is not a requirement for a good oil, the additive package is more important.

In 0w-20, the M1 AFE 0w-20 is like 60% PAO and the EP 0w-20 is like 80% PAO IIRC according to the MSDS data anyways which is better than nothing.

Did the pao content go up on 0w20ep ?
Did it used to be 60 to 70 percent ?

Originally Posted By: car51
I'm debating "trying" PP 0w20 but may try M1 0w20.

What says the BITOG faithful. Would go 7,500 then UOA to see if 10k is doable

CASTROL, A SUBSIDIARY OF BP LUBRICANTS.

Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: HKPolice
M1 all the way. Group IV base stock = better cold start viscosity.

Not so sure about that. I think it was said that traditional regular Mobil 1 was more group III and only Extended Performance had some Group IV. It's been debated so much on here that I truly don't know anymore what each Mobil 1 product has in it. What about Mobil 1 High mileage? I wonder if the Annual Protection is Grp IV? I would love to know the TRUE answer but I will continue to be a Mobil 1 user regardless because the products are excellent regardless of base stock being used. Group IV is not a requirement for a good oil, the additive package is more important.

In 0w-20, the M1 AFE 0w-20 is like 60% PAO and the EP 0w-20 is like 80% PAO IIRC according to the MSDS data anyways which is better than nothing.

Did the pao content go up on 0w20ep ?
Did it used to be 60 to 70 percent ?

Yup, you are correct, I just looked it up again and it is 60-70% PAO, as is the new Annual Protection 0w-20. So both are majority PAO.

Yup, you are correct, I just looked it up again and it is 60-70% PAO, as is the new Annual Protection 0w-20. So both are majority PAO.

Okay, here's a "new guy" question.. How can you tell from the MSDS what the PAO content is? I was interested in the PAO make-up of the M1 EP 5W-30, but turns out that the MSDS is quite foreign to me.

5W30 ep

Name CAS# Concentration*GHS Hazard Codes1-DECENE, HOMOPOLYMER HYDROGENATED 68037-01-4 20 - < 30% H304POLYOLEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMIDE 147880-09-9 1 - < 5% H413SEVERELY HYDROTREATED HEAVY PARAFFINIC DISTILLATE 64742-54-7 1 - < 5% H304SOLVENT DEWAXED HEAVY PARAFFINIC DISTILLATE 64742-65-0 1 - < 5% H304
* All concentrations are percent

So it looks like 20 to 30 percent
Look for the word decene

Originally Posted By: JustN89

Okay, here's a "new guy" question.. How can you tell from the MSDS what the PAO content is? I was interested in the PAO make-up of the M1 EP 5W-30, but turns out that the MSDS is quite foreign to me.

EP 5W30 is 20-30% PAO according to the SDS

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
So it's essentially a group 3 oil with a dash of pao thrown in for pour point?

No, a dash is like the ones that say

Originally Posted By: PimTac
That's quite a reduction from what EP used to have.

For the 0w-20? No, I think it is what it always had, 60-70% PAO. I don't think the 5w-30 was ever anywhere near that high.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Someone clue me on how much better a PAO basestock is vs GTL basestock in actual real world driving...

That's very subjective. It would depend on the application

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Originally Posted By: jdavis
Someone clue me on how much better a PAO basestock is vs GTL basestock in actual real world driving...

That's very subjective. It would depend on the application

That's my point.. saying M1 is better than PP makes no sense without any proof..

All this pao vs group 3 stuff. Is pao actually a better lubricant than a group 3 lubricant,or is pao's only claim to fame a low pour point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back