PUP 5W30 quieted Toyota 2.5L startup rattle completely

If the rattle is related to oil pressure at a hydraulic chain tensioner, the oil filter could have an effect. Did you switch to a different filter?
I had startup rattle from the VVT- for several years on Chevrolet Atlas motor.I always ran Wix oil filters and I decided to try a Fram ultra oil filter,I was shocked startup rattle vanished!!

I'm betting Castrol Magnatec 5w30 would be silent as well... if you can find any @Zee09 . :p

Magnatec notably quieted down our Kia V6 at start up, there was nothing wrong with it, but it was always rackety at cold start. Gold bottle Castrol made it run quieter than anything I tried in 110k, but the start up king was Magnatec.

Based on those excellent results, I did what any good BITOG'er would do, I stopped running Castrol. 🤷‍♂️

A few months ago I tried QS 0w20 High Mileage and noticed a huge difference with the start up rattle being greatly reduced. Same engine but in a '12 Camry. Previously using TGMO then M1. UOA results were excellent and posted one of them on here. Thinking I'll bump it up to 5w30 next interval with either PUP or QS HM(same company).

you might find this yt interesting:

Back