post your latest transmission lubricant change.

2010 MB C300, 58K.

Out: Not sure. Owner said the fluid was serviced before but the amount of debris on the pan magnets and the filter suggested otherwise. The drain/fill plug still had the factory crush washer. However, the fluid still had a tinge of red and was 0.6-0.7 qt low...

In: About 8.5 qt of Pentosin ATF134 (red fluid), elring A/T filter and Hubmuller gasket. Fluid level was set at 45C.

2011 Toyota Prius, 179k.

Out: Toyota ATF-WS, 30K.
In: Toyota ATF-WS.

Sadly I had to take my Nissan with a CVT sealed transmission in to the dealership to get the fluid changed. I'd do it but.... Anyway it is done now and I don't think I want to buy another sealed tranny car.
57,177 miles. Second time I have had the transmission fluid changed.
Service manual says do it at 60,000 but I didn't think I wanted to wait that long so I had it done at 30,000 and now near the 60,000 mile mark.

Last edited:
1999 Ford Explorer 4.0L ohv with 5R55E (the worlds first production 5 speed auto lol. a lil fun fact). At 215k miles 6 quarts of Castrol Mercon V and Purolator filter). Transfer case at 220K got about 1.5 quarts of Valvoline transfer case fluid which probably saved my transfer case and stopped loud thumping when slowing down to stop lights (didn't know what it was just inadvertently noticed it went away after changing and never came back).. Bought used, probably never changed. Old fluid was black. General consensus is these trannys don't last 200k. I'm at 235k miles and its still shifting great.

Originally Posted by stanlee
1999 Ford Explorer 4.0L ohv with 5R55E (the worlds first production 5 speed auto lol. a lil fun fact). At 215k miles 6 quarts of Castrol Mercon V and Purolator filter). Transfer case at 220K got about 1.5 quarts of Valvoline transfer case fluid which probably saved my transfer case and stopped loud thumping when slowing down to stop lights (didn't know what it was just inadvertently noticed it went away after changing and never came back).. Bought used, probably never changed. Old fluid was black. General consensus is these trannys don't last 200k. I'm at 235k miles and its still shifting great.

My mom is still driving a 1994 Explorer with the A4LD transmission, which the 5r55e is based off of. The A4LD supposedly has worse reliability than the 5r55e, but hers is still running fine at 222k miles. I had a 99 Explorer 4.0 OHV 5r55e for a short while. I didn't have it long as it was pretty much already dead when it was given to me. It had 219k miles and the 5r55e had problems, which is the main reason I scrapped it. I removed the pan out of curiosity and found pieces of a broken intermediate band inside. I parted the truck out and I still have some parts from it. Let me know if you're looking for any parts.

Granddaughter's 2010 Camry with 187K. I did 2 drain/refills with Valvoline Max Life. A little over 2 qts each time. Will do 2 more at next oil change
I believe this is the first ATF change on this car. The fluid was very black and the drain and refill bolts had that snap sound that I normally hear when a bolt is removed for the first time.

2011 Mercedes E350 4Matic

81,405 - Dealer fluid change (drain, drop pan and filter change) - dealers don't do torque converter. 6 liters of OEM fluid on the invoice.

Last change by prior owner was done ~42k miles at MB dealership in NY.

2000 Mercedes CLK 430 Cab 98500 miles. synthetic fluid and factory filter. Most probably the first change. Indy said fluid didn't look bad.

Originally Posted by pezzy669

81,405 - Dealer fluid change (drain, drop pan and filter change) - dealers don't do torque converter. 6 liters of OEM fluid on the invoice.

That's lame - I have done three 722.9's. Two had the converter plug, one did not.

How much did your dealer charge? The one here charges $600.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by pezzy669

That's lame - I have done three 722.9's. Two had the converter plug, one did not.

How much did your dealer charge? The one here charges $600.

$392+tax so not too terribly bad.

Prob gonna do another one at my next oil change to make sure it's mostly newish fluid in there. Might try an independent shop next go around as the dealer just jacked their basic A Service from $139 to $199, the indys are all at $139 so now it's worthwhile to skip the dealer whereas before they pretty much matched the independent shop pricing.

Finally got around to the Lexus RX350:

Out: FF
In: Mag 1 ATF

Only 1.6-1.8 qts come out at a time on these, so I'll do it often. Very very easy though. Fluid was darker than expected.

42,189 miles

Did the F-150 again this morning; just a drain/fill through the fill hole this time. About 4 qts.

Out: FF/ Mag 1
In: Mag 1 + more LG platinum

98,109 miles

Did a 4 quart drain and fill on the 2009 Fusion with the Aisin Warner 6 speed auto. 270,000 miles

Out: not sure. It's been a mix of Maxlife, Castrol, and Motorcraft
In: Motorcraft fluid

Last edited:
Originally Posted by panthermike
Been a busy weekend, decided to do 2nd drain/ fill on the Lexus.

Put in another 1.8 qts of Mag 1

42,205 miles

Did you remove the straw?
Less than 2 quarts drained? Wow, that's low.
I am about to service our GS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by panthermike
Been a busy weekend, decided to do 2nd drain/ fill on the Lexus.

Put in another 1.8 qts of Mag 1

42,205 miles

Did you remove the straw?
Less than 2 quarts drained? Wow, that's low.
I am about to service our GS.

Yes, unfortunately even with the straw removed that's it. Luckily it's very easy to do. Some say you have to remove the left front wheel for access, which I admit would be a little easier but I ended up turning the wheel and that was fine. I just did a cold/drain fill, not the temperature and let dribble method. I might do that after a few more drain/fills but I also don't want to spend $100 plus for a scangauge. I wonder if any of those obd apps have trans temp capability?

2010 Silverado 6.0L 6L90 trans. 145K factory fill lots of towing. The factory fill was very dark but didnt smell burnt. His normal cruising trans temps were around 180F. We filled it with Schaeffer DEX/MERC LV after dropping pan and replacing filter/cleaning magnet. He drove home right after the change with a good 45mi trip and he said his trans temp never went above 108F. He was extremely surprised and happy. He also noted that it shifted "Smooth as butter".

1987 bmw 535is - Getrag 260 5 speed - Redline MTL out, what looked like a thick gravy with a lot of metal
frown.gif
at least two years of use....hard use. Never changed it myself until now.

In - Valvoline Synchromesh MTL - Going to run a short interval, maybe till my next oil change then dumping it and doing it again before switching to Amsoil MTG.

Went for the 3rd drain fill on the RX350, another 1.6 qts. I'll do the 4th next weekend and call it good for awhile

Out: Mag 1 LV
In: same

42,685 miles

4th drain & fill on the RX350:

Out: Mag1 LV (only 1.6qts again, seems consistent)
In: Mag 1 LV + 10oz LG Red

42,863 miles

Going to Leave it alone for a while, fluid looking good now.

Back