Acura EL 1.7 (upscale Honda Civic) - Options for Manual Transmission Fluid?

My friend's daughter's car, a c. 2003 (I'm guessing) Acura EL (basically a posh Civic) was popping out of 5th on the highway.

I suggested we start with checking the MTF, and added an entire quart (946 ml) bottle of Pennzoil Platinum 75W-90 GL-4 MTF I had on hand. I suspect the transmission only holds about 3 litres, so believe it was dangerously low.

But in any case, the owner says that it now shifts better and stays in 5th, so apparently no harm was done while it was run low.

We don't know when the last actual MTF fluid change was, so I'm tempted to do a drain and fill.

I stumbled upon this thread, which merely left me confused; there's some obvious misinformation (e.g. assuming that the motor oil and gear oil viscosity scales are the same), and certainly no agreement on what to use:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/is-honda-mtf-that-bad.40317/

(Yes, I realize that the thread pertains to a newer generation of Civic, but thought perhaps the same principles w.r.t. Honda MTF would hold.)

So, I appeal to the collective BITOG knowledge and experience base, particularly that of @MolaKule:

1. What was the factory fill for this transmission?

2. Is it important to match the factory fill w.r.t. viscosity?

3. What would be a good replacement?

Bear in mind that choices in MTF seem to be narrowing; NAPA Canada no longer shows the Pennzoil mentioned above on their website.

I think I can get Royal Purple Synchromax locally, but worry that it might be too thin - it states that it's for manual transmissions that originally spec'd ATF. (Maybe that's OK - I don't know.)

https://www.royalpurple.com/product/synchromax-manual-transmission-fluid/

I may still be able to get Red Line MT90, which I've used in our Mazda5 and was really happy with:

https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-90-75w90-gl-4-gear-oil

If the MT90 is too thick, there are other thinner Red Line MTFs.

There's also AMSOIL's Synchromesh, but I'm confused by it being labeled "5W-30":

https://www.amsoil.ca/p/manual-synchromesh-transmission-fluid-5w-30-mtf/?code=MTFQTC-EA

But perhaps that's OK.

Anyway, if there is a magic bullet fluid that would provide both good longevity for the transmission and good shifting, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Many thanks!

Honda actually used to state in the manual that you could use a 10w-30 as an alternative... but to change it back to Honda MTF when possible.

Honda/Acura MTF would be a good choice, easily accessible at dealers. If you can find Pennzoil Syncromesh MTF at parts stores, I've used that as well with no problems. Also, GM Synchromesh MTF works well.

I've also used the Amsoil MTF, that works well also.

In my 2000 accord ive tried mt85, pennzoil synchromesh and honda mtf with the honda stuff providing by far the best shift feel. It was also one of the most affordable options so that's what I'd recommend

Your Honda was originally filled with their special Honda MTF. Honda says to use either that or 10w30 motor oil, which is quite a bit thinner than the 75w90 you used (which is more like 10w40)

You can also use Pennzoil or Valvoline Synchromesh. Some Honda people like GM Synchromesh, too. RP Synchromax will also work well on your EL. If you like Redline, I think their MTL might be more appropriate for your Acura.

It's a shame you can't find the PP Gear anymore. They stopped selling it in the US years ago :sneaky:

Not being able to find appropriate oil is my biggest fear for buying a non-Honda manual car. Hondas have far more options, and you can even use motor oil if necessary.

A couple of things here.
This transmission should only take 1.5L-1.6L from bone dry. So if you were level and it took a full quart it was running quite low.

Where in Canada and what is the overall condition of the car? If not a super cold climate I wouldn’t worry about the 75w90 in there one bit. Honda MTF changed formulas in 2007 to reduce fuel consumption and prior to the change the original Honda MTF was a lot closer to a 75w90. I drove Hondas back then in -18c with the original MTF and yes it was stiff but it still worked.

No need to get fancy here, just top it off until it dribbles out while level, with any gl4 of any viscosity you have on hand and walk away from it.

A couple of things here.
This transmission should only take 1.5L-1.6L from bone dry. So if you were level and it took a full quart it was running quite low.

Where in Canada and what is the overall condition of the car? If not a super cold climate I wouldn’t worry about the 75w90 in there one bit. Honda MTF changed formulas in 2007 to reduce fuel consumption and prior to the change the original Honda MTF was a lot closer to a 75w90. I drove Hondas back then in -18c with the original MTF and yes it was stiff but it still worked.

No need to get fancy here, just top it off until it dribbles out while level, with any gl4 of any viscosity you have on hand and walk away from it.
That's scary that the capacity is that little. Our Mazda5 takes around 3 quarts, so I was assuming the Acura was similar.

We're in Winnipeg - we hit -30°C a few times every winter, and -40°C once every few years. -25°C is routine. However, our Mazda5 has been happy on Red Line MT-90 and the Pennzoil 75W-90.

Last edited:
I have a 2003 Civic EX 5MT. Not sure if it's the same tranny, but I assume it is. I've only ever used Honda MTF and it takes a little less than 2 qts. I buy 2 qt, jack it up, drain it, then pump into the fill hole. Typically about .2 qt left in the 2nd bottle when it starts pouring out of the fill hole.

I have a 2003 Civic EX 5MT. Not sure if it's the same tranny, but I assume it is. I've only ever used Honda MTF and it takes a little less than 2 qts. I buy 2 qt, jack it up, drain it, then pump into the fill hole. Typically about .2 qt left in the 2nd bottle when it starts pouring out of the fill hole.
Yikes, that means the little Acura was basically running on fumes.

So it took a quart to get it to start overflowing from the fill hole? Was the car jacked up on all 4 corners? If you just had the front jacked up, it will technically overfill the tranny. It's supposed to be filled and checked with the car level.
It was on ramps - I'll have recheck it.

+1
I'm running RP Synchromax? in my Honda.
Shifts beautifully compared to the stock fluid.
I appreciate the RP recommendation, but am dismayed by the confirmation that the transmission holds so little fluid. Amazing it still seems to be fine.

Back