Picking up a leftover ‘16 Hellcat on Wednesday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Modern tires rarely flat-spot from sitting.

The thing is... they do. and Hellcat tires are expensive. Sitting for a month or two may not be an issue, but for a year plus? Performance tires are more easily ruined from sitting, and cold weather seems to make it worse.

No they aren't. The OE P-Zero Nero's are cheap, and they aren't a great tire either. The ones for my GC are more than double the price on TireRack and I'm blessed with a vastly smaller list of inferior tires from which to choose
frown.gif

Well, good performance tires are expensive haha.

Exactly, and they shipped the HC with all seasons, LOL!

That car would have been far better served by a dedicated Summer UHP as OE.

Allow the dealer to do AS little AS possible. No need to change oil whatsoever PERIOD. By the way the prep mechanic and the lot boys will beat the tar out of it. Don't even let them gas it up for you.

Dealer Dopes ALWAYS ruined a good running high performance car for me in the past. ive owbned over 70 cars in my lifetime.

They dont own it, they will beat it.

Last Horror, Ford dealer in Hampton trashed a new bullitt for me in 2001; Rear wheel wells were covered with molten rubber chunks. Car ran great when I test drove I, t ran on 7 cylinders and never recovered when I picked it up.

Good luck nice car. Hope you paid well under sticker.

Me I would have done up a 71 440 satellite Sebring and maybe even MADE money over time on it.

1972+Plymouth+Satellite+Sebring+Plus.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Allow the dealer to do AS little AS possible. No need to change oil whatsoever PERIOD. By the way the prep mechanic and the lot boys will beat the tar out of it. Don't even let them gas it up for you.

Dealer Dopes ALWAYS ruined a good running high performance car for me in the past. ive owbned over 70 cars in my lifetime.

They dont own it, they will beat it.

Last Horror, Ford dealer in Hampton trashed a new bullitt for me in 2001; Rear wheel wells were covered with molten rubber chunks. Car ran great when I test drove I, t ran on 7 cylinders and never recovered when I picked it up.

Good luck nice car. Hope you paid well under sticker.

Me I would have done up a 71 440 satellite Sebring and maybe even MADE money over time on it.

1972+Plymouth+Satellite+Sebring+Plus.jpeg

You literally have the worst luck/experience with anything and everything of anybody I've ever encountered. Please understand that your experiences are far from typical. My local dealer has excellent techs who wouldn't even DREAM of pounding on a new vehicle. A few blips of the gas is all I've ever seen, to hear what the exhaust sounds like.

BTW, why would you accept delivery of a vehicle that was obviously mechanically damaged? If it was running on 7 cylinders, why would you take it home?

Ford dealer in Hampton trashed a new bullitt for me in 2001; Rear wheel wells were covered with molten rubber chunks. Car ran great when I test drove I, t ran on 7 cylinders and never recovered when I picked it up.

So how did this turn out? Surely there is lots more to the story.

My personal feeling is I wouldn't change oil for the first thousand miles. Its not nice in IL right now unless you have a garage where you can do that I'd wait for a warm sunny day.

Do they use some type of special factory fill or just an engine oil supplement? From my research on BITOG, Honda is the only manufacturer to have some sort of high moly FF that should not be changed early. I think that fact makes everyone here apprehensive about dumping the FF early. The argument seems to be engines are machined with tigher tolerances than in the past, so they don't shed as much junk during break in. So dumping the FF is not as crucial as it were in the past. You need to ask the OEM.

"Oil is cheap,oil analysis engines are expensive"-I agree, to a point-but oil in an engine, sitting in a garage, isn't necessarily going to fail just by sitting around. Unlike tires and other rubber parts.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
'leftover' Hellcat? Weren't they marked WAY up due to supposed demand and relative rarity?
I have a feeling the Hellcat values dropped the instant the Demon was announced & released!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
'leftover' Hellcat? Weren't they marked WAY up due to supposed demand and relative rarity?
I have a feeling the Hellcat values dropped the instant the Demon was announced & released!

Yup.

Thanks for the help/info!

Here's a little more info:

To the best of my knowledge there is no recall for the SC bearing issue, I am aware that problems have occurred but no actual recall has begun. The issue seems to be a bit hit and miss, although FCA did make a change to the bearing assembly in Feb. of 17 (or so the internet says).

MSRP is $70,925, I paid $57k even.

The tires are Pirelli summers, not the all-seasons. We'll see how they ride tomorrow.

Amsoil is the only other oil besides the Pennzoil that meets the OEM specs.

And for those of you that are looking there are still a number of 16's out there below $60k, with even more 17's soon to be dipping into the $50's.

Thanks again for the help, I"m gonna drive it home on the factory fill and swap the oil out on the first 50 degree day. Until then it'll sit in the garage.
smile.gif

The Pennzoil 0w-40 SRT oil isn't exactly a highly certified oil. At least it's a little sparse on mfg approvals compared to other 0w-30/0w-40 grade oils out there.

Originally Posted By: Frank_Rizzo
Thanks for the help/info!

Here's a little more info:

To the best of my knowledge there is no recall for the SC bearing issue, I am aware that problems have occurred but no actual recall has begun. The issue seems to be a bit hit and miss, although FCA did make a change to the bearing assembly in Feb. of 17 (or so the internet says).

MSRP is $70,925, I paid $57k even.

The tires are Pirelli summers, not the all-seasons. We'll see how they ride tomorrow.

Amsoil is the only other oil besides the Pennzoil that meets the OEM specs.

And for those of you that are looking there are still a number of 16's out there below $60k, with even more 17's soon to be dipping into the $50's.

Thanks again for the help, I"m gonna drive it home on the factory fill and swap the oil out on the first 50 degree day. Until then it'll sit in the garage.
smile.gif

Just an FYI, but the AMSOIL product is not officially approved by Chrysler. They are recommending it for applications calling for that approval. It is an excellent oil however.

So you have the P Zero's, not the P Zero Nero. That's an improvement at least. There's a decent Tire Rack review that compares them to the previous Michelin superstar, the Pilot Super Sport, which has since been replaced by the PS4S (which is the one I recommended earlier). That review can be found here:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=148

It's a whole lot of car, so good rubber is really important
smile.gif
I'm sure you'll love it.

I have a 2016 Scat with about 18,000 miles. I ran the SRT 0-40 pennzoil the first two oil changes but got lazy and ran Mobil 1 0w-40 on this oil change. Filter of choice has been Fram Ultra XG2 for me. Car uses no oil. I would change it at 1k since it was sitting for so long. Enjoy the car and get the rock guards on ZL1 addons...I have them and they keep the stones off the sides of the car.

Originally Posted By: legandrex
I have a 2016 Scat with about 18,000 miles. I ran the SRT 0-40 pennzoil the first two oil changes but got lazy and ran Mobil 1 0w-40 on this oil change. Filter of choice has been Fram Ultra XG2 for me. Car uses no oil. I would change it at 1k since it was sitting for so long. Enjoy the car and get the rock guards on ZL1 addons...I have them and they keep the stones off the sides of the car.

Yup, splash guards are a must unless you like stone chips. The summer tires will kick up every pebble. Personally, I prefer the MOPAR splash guards (if it's a Challenger).

Also, if you were to buy a replacement dipstick for your '16, it would be the shorter one that comes on '17 and '18 Hellcats. They're spec'd for 7 quarts instead of 6. There's a long thread on hellcat.org on this.

link

Overkill, ARCO does have bad luck, to say the least, but if I had that vehicle, I'd follow ARCO's first line to the letter. I might to the oil change, but myself.
wink.gif
When I got my 1999.5 Lightning, I didn't let it out of my sight at the dealer, on the occasions I had to go there, except for the intercooler recall.

Of course, one might have a good relationship with a certain dealer and be able to trust them a lot more.

Thanks for the info guys. Picked the car up yesterday, it's amazing. Sticking to the recommended break-in procedure is a drag, lol!

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Modern tires rarely flat-spot from sitting.

The thing is... they do. and Hellcat tires are expensive. Sitting for a month or two may not be an issue, but for a year plus? Performance tires are more easily ruined from sitting, and cold weather seems to make it worse.

After 30 years of running soft-compound performance tires in track events, I tell you I have never flat-spotted any of them when the car sits for 6 months during the off-season. My Corvette recently did more than a year on Toyo R88's without moving, until I felt guilty last summer and took it for a drive. No flat-spots there.

My local Dodge dealer has a Hellcat that they have had for probably over a year now. They are a small dealer so they have not had or sold many of them. The car they have stickers at around $73,000. I know that they got quite a bit over sticker on the others they had but this was has just sat. When they first got it, they would move it every day from inside the service department to outside the building. They did this for months. Now they just leave it outside. In a case like this, I would definitely have the dealer change the oil and filter because all of those short drives.

I would love to have one of these but too much money. Enjoy it and show some pictures.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back