Dealer over filled engine (Ford)

Ran into the same issue with a dealer oil change on my 2.7 F150, which the 3.0 was based off of. As noted by bcardinal, you've got to wait to check the oil level... To the dealer's credit, they fixed the issue when I called them on it. And had a note in my file to make sure to wait and check - I flat out told them I wanted it done right, not fast, and the service folks at the dealer have all been excellent to deal with over the years. They actually take the time to show me the dipstick before I go now... after its sat long enough.

As to the rest of the mess, that's inexcusable...

Possibly they did not drain all the 'old' oil out (everyone's in a hurry).
OP's photo of (dark) oil drained would confirm that.
Then the 'required' amount was added.

That's why I don't go to quick change oil shops.
If you want it done right, do it yourself.

But if you have to pay to have your oil changed, check the level before you leave.
It's your vehicle, it's your responsibility.

Last edited:
Mekks
You should never leave the oil change shop or dealership's parking lot, WITHOUT checking the dipstick oil level first.

I taught both of my daughter's to pull over when exiting the Oil Change Shop - shut off the engine - wait 10-15 minutes - open the hood and check the dipstick level, on level ground.

Then I told them to NOT move the vehicle and instead let an employee there know that you have an oil issue and need someone to step outside to check it for themselves, should the oil level either be overfilled or underfilled.

Then during the OCI time period, open the hood and check the oil level every 500 miles. Vehicle prices on new vehicle lots have soared. Average price around $50k now. Dealers will not replace your engine for free, should neglect on your part occur.

Last edited:
The dealership is suppose be a professional place to service your vehicle apparently it’s not Sorry this happen to your ford

My free changes are over. They did fine but filled my 18" tires to the 20" spec each time.
Thats 10 psi over... The last time I told them upfront.......they still did it.

VIOC shows you the stick they are done. I like that.

For my changes I like the oil right at the top of the hash mark of the safe zone, which is usually 2/3 to 3/4 up to the full mark. It’s been my observation over the years full or overfull produces more consumption than down the stick a bit does.

I can tell you that being a retired line tech at the local Ford dealership for 38 years, I always changed my own oil. Over those years we did have a couple that did a pretty good job, but some of the others would have been sent home in 5 minutes after starting if I would have had any say so in the matter. A few of the line techs would have got the same treatment, but most were pretty good.

I flat out told them I wanted it done right, not fast
Glad you had a good experience from this, but the thing is, most dealers/techs are not going to listen to this. They get paid flat-rate, which is (in my opinion) a huge factor in why dealer service can be so bad at times. Speed is rewarded so heavily (getting paid the most for each day by beating the flat-rate times) that they don't care if the customer wants it done slow, they can't afford to work slower.

As a former Ford tech, I can assure you that your oil change was not performed by a seasoned tech, unless the oil change jockey was on break, sick or out or out to lunch. Your oil change was done by "somebody". Where I used to work, it was done by a lady who had an explosive personality and we always knew when "a certain time of the month" was happening, I kid you not.
Way back in 1987, I bought a brand new Mercury Cougar that came with oil changes for life. I tried to knock down the price of the car when I told them that I didn't want that feature, but the salesman said it was the policy of the dealership and I couldn't dicker on that feature. At the time, I lived in an apartment that forbid even popping the hood up on your car, so I had the dealership do the first oil change. Guess what...they stripped the threads on the plug on the very first oil change. I never went back.

Mekks
You should never leave the oil change shop or dealership's parking lot, WITHOUT checking the dipstick oil level first.

I taught both of my daughter's to pull over when exiting the Oil Change Shop - shut off the engine - wait 10-15 minutes - open the hood and check the dipstick level, on level ground.

Then I told them to NOT move the vehicle and instead let an employee there know that you have an oil issue and need someone to step outside to check it for themselves, should the oil level either be overfilled or underfilled.

Then during the OCI time period, open the hood and check the oil level every 500 miles. Vehicle prices on new vehicle lots have soared. Average price around $50k now. Dealers will not replace your engine for free, should neglect on your part occur.
Hey kids - wait 90 minutes at Snotty Lube and after you leave wait 15 more minutes to check the oil.

Am I in the minority because I can tell if my oil is at the right level 90 seconds after I shut the vehicle off? Not down to the milliliter, but at least at an acceptable level.

There is a range on every dipstick I've ever seen.

I’ve had engines burn oil (just smoke coming right out of the tailpipe upon acceleration) because of an overfill. Usually takes a quart or more. Oil forces its way upwards past the pistons/rings.

Back