Parking in handicap spots with no handicap plaq

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Both my mom and dad could get them - they both have some mobility issues but they refuse to. They still park at the end of the parking lot and hobble in and out of the stores!

It is irritating when people use it for convenience rather than need.

That was my mother when she was still with us. She had a legitimate handicapped placard, but didn't use it. She felt the handicap spots were for people who REALLY needed them. She was one of those quiet, mild people, but solid as a rock.

Bless her, and bless your parents. Good people.

I see a guy often around here.He does have Handicapped plates on his "DONK". Flies into the handicapped spot, jumps out and runs,literly runs into the store. Then jumps back into the DONK and speeds away(huge tires and wheels on it).

Meanwhile my mom who was on 3L of oxygen and used a walker to walk did not qualify for a Handicapped placard or plates.

At restaurants, I always park in the "reserved for take-out customers only".
Nobody ever checks, and I do take out my leftovers!

Do you or wife actually use the spot and that is why you make the effort?

I never look or care what is parked in those spots. No interest in using them.

You live in Cuyahoga County, right?
Any bar or barbershop in the vast hood of Cleveland will have guys who will sell a totally authentic appearing handicap placard for a twenty spot.
Where I work, we have lots of employees who have these placards, real or fake. The funny thing is that most of them are employed in positions that preclude their being in any way disabled. We also have a secretary who used her now ex-husband's handicap placard to park in the designated spaces every day for years.
I personally don't feel like anyone should get too holy about handicapped parking spaces until we the people stop the real abuse of that privilege that so many are able to practice.
No more placards. Plates only. That would go a long way toward stopping the current abuses.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
They hand those placards out like candy it seems. More often than not whoever is parked in that spot doesn't really need to be. Plenty of low sports cars, or jacked up trucks that people jump out of and sprint to the building. So I don't care if they have the sign or not. I'm parking as far away from everyone else as I can anyway.

When I busted my ankle and had a 6 week temp placard I wasn't going to sell my vehicle for whatever sensible one some judgemental people opine I should have been driving... (I did trade with my BIL so I could get an automatic trans and low floor hump so I could left-foot drive... btw his plates were still in his name so if you vigilantes ran it things would come back as a mismatch between his plates and my placard.)

I also used the "mart cart" simply because crutches and a normal push shopping cart are an operational disaster.

I typically parked in the farthest handicapped spot (still close
laugh.gif
) in case a geezer with bad heart needed the close space. This was, again, logistical as I parked the mart cart in the store's foyer and held plastic shopping bags by their cheezy handles in my hands as I also gripped the crutches. I wasn't very good at being newly handicapped, glad I got better.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
As I already said in a prior post, they could have a placard, but forgot to hang it up.

Then it's not displayed properly and they are illegally parked...

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Do you or wife actually use the spot and that is why you make the effort?

I never look or care what is parked in those spots. No interest in using them.

No, but there are people who actually need them. Why does something only have to effect you? If it's wrong, it's wrong...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

No more placards. Plates only. That would go a long way toward stopping the current abuses.

The problem with plates only is if I'm taking grandma to her Dr appointment, I have to drive her car. Or, if she doesn't have a license, how does she have tags.

Final problem is it advertises to the bad guys someone who just may be an easy mark for a car jacking.

The placard, is the better solution. But it goes with the person, not the vehicle. It should have the person's name on it. Not that anyone would really check to see if the one using it is the one named on the placard.

Originally Posted By: BalticBob

Not sure if you're serious here. While I don't mind one bit where you park, its not smart. Parking in a take out section means people constantly coming and going in a rush. Means door/mirror dings are way more likely.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

Not sure if you're serious here. While I don't mind one bit where you park, its not smart. Parking in a take out section means people
constantly coming and going in a rush. Means
door/mirror dings are way more likely.

Some places have like 3ft in between parking spots to help people with carrying food out.

I guess this is the sort of thing I was referring to in my page 1 reply, I'd rather have the owner of the business recognize that reserving a few spaces for whatever reason would appeal to customers, whether it be take-out or handicapped, and let the owner make the call as to what's best for their own business. Let the owner choose, how many, and where, and for what purpose. Let the free enterprise take it's course. No gov't big brother needed. Sure, some folks will take unfair advantage of the owner's good intentions, but that's the price of freedom. Sometimes it's frustrating.

I'd ask, regarding the handicapped issue as irritating as it might be (and to be sure it is), is this really the type of thing you need your gov't to be involved in?

Before I get flamed, let me say I in no way mean to disparage those who are disabled or have loved ones that are disabled. Certainly we all want our disabled loved ones to have a quality of life and be able to get in and out of stores. I have an elderly mother and I go to great lengths to be a good son and take care of her, whatever she may need, and it's not easy. I'm just saying in the grand scheme of things I think we'd be far better off as a society with gov't out of our lives except for the truly vital things. Big brother gov't is a seductive and addictive thing, saying thanks but no thanks is tough.

And FYI, I wouldn't even bother typing all that if I didn't generally respect the intelligence level of most folks on here. Seems like a good group, all venting aside.

Originally Posted By: MoreCowbellAz

I guess this is the sort of thing I was referring to in my page 1 reply, I'd rather have the owner of the business recognize that reserving a few spaces for whatever reason would appeal to customers, whether it be take-out or handicapped, and let the owner make the call as to what's best for their own business. Let the owner choose, how many, and where, and for what purpose. Let the free enterprise take it's course. No gov't big brother needed. Sure, some folks will take unfair advantage of the owner's good intentions, but that's the price of freedom. Sometimes it's frustrating.

I'd ask, regarding the handicapped issue as irritating as it might be (and to be sure it is), is this really the type of thing you need your gov't to be involved in?

Before I get flamed, let me say I in no way mean to disparage those who are disabled or have loved ones that are disabled. Certainly we all want our disabled loved ones to have a quality of life and be able to get in and out of stores. I have an elderly mother and I go to great lengths to be a good son and take care of her, whatever she may need, and it's not easy. I'm just saying in the grand scheme of things I think we'd be far better off as a society with gov't out of our lives except for the truly vital things. Big brother gov't is a seductive and addictive thing, saying thanks but no thanks is tough.

And FYI, I wouldn't even bother typing all that if I didn't generally respect the intelligence level of most folks on here. Seems like a good group, all venting aside.

I don't have a problem with this, I'm just sick of people who think they are above the rules. I see it every day, people parking wherever they feel like it, speeding, tailgating, texting while driving, making illegal turns, not using turn signals, the list goes on and on, and if you question them about their actions, they go off on you as if you are in the wrong. How dare we question someone's wrong doings! I'm wondering if there's a gene missing in the human race that causes a loss of common sense and human decency...

Originally Posted By: grampi
As I already said in a prior post, they could have a placard, but forgot to hang it up.

And an actual parking enforcement officer could determine that they have a placard, but apparently just forgot to put it up. Unlike a professional busy-body leaving little notes.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

The problem with plates only is if I'm taking grandma to her Dr appointment, I have to drive her car. Or, if she doesn't have a license, how does she have tags.

Final problem is it advertises to the bad guys someone who just may be an easy mark for a car jacking.

The placard, is the better solution. But it goes with the person, not the vehicle. It should have the person's name on it. Not that anyone would really check to see if the one using it is the one named on the placard.

The ones I'm familiar with, DO have the name of the person they are issued to, printed on the back of the placard.

Originally Posted By: grampi

And an actual parking enforcement officer could determine that they have a placard, but apparently just forgot to put it up. Unlike a professional busy-body leaving little notes.

I don't get paid to do it, I consider it a free social service...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back