Dad got a citation for parking in a disabled parking space

And yes he has a placard but he forgot to put it out on a day when it was raining hard and he was in a hurry to get out. I remember years ago he also got a citation (in person) when he dropped my mom off somewhere and didn't notice these really bizarrely located lines that were faded, along with noncompliant signage. But an attempt to appeal that on the basis of bad lines and signage didn't go anywhere, and it was 400 miles from home so it was impractical to go to court to argue his case. They just paid the bail and moved on with their life.

But it got really weird because this time because he couldn't find the ticket. It was placed under the windshield wiper but that's buried low on his Tesla Model 3. Then he turned on the wipers and they say something flying off as they were moving and couldn't figure out what it was. My dad then came to the conclusion that it might have been because he forgot to display the placard, but mom thought it might have been some ad placed on cars.

He went immediately to the police station to ask about it but they had no record of it. Today my dad asked me to go with him during lunch to see if maybe he was cited, since I'm generally better at explaining this kind of stuff. So I did. It was bizarre though since the communications are through a phone handset and there's a security window. But I was able to find out that he was indeed cited, but I mentioned how he turned on the wipers and saw something fly off where he couldn't track it down. We waited a while for them to perhaps obtain a copy of the citation but all they could provide was the citation number on a form.

Apparently they have an appeal process, but the appeal has to be sent to their citation processor at a PO box in Denver. They were kind enough at the police station to make a color copy of my dad's disabled parking placard to send in. I included a copy of the form with the citation number and also a copy of my dad's disabled parking receipt. Not sure what the next step is, but this should be pretty easy to resolve. Just not sure if they're going to charge some nebulous fee for their time.

The city of San Diego was the only place I could find with a published process for something like this. They apparently charge a $10 fee for any kind of fix it citation. However, they seems to ask for a copy of the registration too that they'll match to the receipt.

citation_instructions.pdf

My mom did the same thing. parked at the disabled spot at Costco . forgot to hang her placard and went inside. Came out to a ticket. i took a pix of the placard and ticket and drivers license and sent it off via email.

it was dismissed in a couple of weeks.

Definitely something you'll want to stay on top of. An unpaid citation usually results in a failure to appear arrest warrant in a lot of places. You really don't want that kind of headache. Sounds like you're good about keeping documentation as well. Make sure you get anything anyone tells you in writing if at all possible.

I'll be the devil's advocate and say at least it's being enforced in some areas. Around here I regularly see many handicap violations and clearly no sign of anything being done. I pay attention to it as I'm legally (unfortunately) disabled with a parking placard, but rarely use it as I know others might benefit from parking closer, etc. due to possible worse health than me. At the apt complex I once lived at I contacted the local P.D. to get something done about a constant handicap parking violation and was basically told that sort of thing was way down the list in terms of importance. Had they seen what one of the tenants had to deal with just to get to his apartment because of that violation caused by the lazy selfish individual (firsthand account) they might have been more involved.

Have you considered a handicap placard holder that attaches to the sun visor? Amazon has them for about $8.00. Placard stays in the car, just flip the visor when you exit at a handicap spot and your tag is displayed.

I guess your father is lucky for not being cited for littering when some do-gooder found his ticket and reported the "trash". Our state now links handicapped placards to all vehicles owned by placard holders. Simple check of DMV file on the in-car CAD (computerized dispatch system) shows that the car is recognized and can legally park in appropriate spaces. Sometimes folks have a couple different cars and forget to take the placards with them to another vehicle. That deals with the law enforcement side of it, but we still deal with calls where some folks take offense to someone parked in a handicapped space with no placard/plate displayed. Seems some will take matters into their own hands by taking a key to the outside of the car to express their displeasure even if the placard has fallen down or can't be seen :rolleyes: .

Last edited:
I'll be the devil's advocate and say at least it's being enforced in some areas. Around here I regularly see many handicap violations and clearly no sign of anything being done. I pay attention to it as I'm legally (unfortunately) disabled with a parking placard, but rarely use it as I know others might benefit from parking closer, etc. due to possible worse health than me. At the apt complex I once lived at I contacted the local P.D. to get something done about a constant handicap parking violation and was basically told that sort of thing was way down the list in terms of importance. Had they seen what one of the tenants had to deal with just to get to his apartment because of that violation caused by the lazy selfish individual (firsthand account) they might have been more involved.
I hate that. My father in law was a disabled vet so I had a vested interest in enforcement. I love when people will whip into a handicapped space and jump out to head for the door. When asked if they can legally park there, the usual response is "I'm only going to be a minute". To which my reply is "good, thats exactly how long it will take me to write the ticket". Funny, never had anyone stay in the spot after that.

Last edited:
I can't stand all the people I see with a handicap placard pull in, park, jump out and run into the store. The placard is clearly not for them but it seems they don't care. So I will go one step further - whomever owns said placard should insist they not use it unless used for them, for the reasons mentioned above.

On the ticket, many of the laws are written as "failure to display", so the fact that he had one will be up to the magistrate on whether they want to dismiss it or not.

I can't stand all the people I see with a handicap placard pull in, park, jump out and run into the store. The placard is clearly not for them but it seems they don't care. So I will go one step further - whomever owns said placard should insist they not use it unless used for them, for the reasons mentioned above.

On the ticket, many of the laws are written as "failure to display", so the fact that he had one will be up to the magistrate on whether they want to dismiss it or not.
Thats the reason all either have to have a picture of the holder or full name and info on the card itself. If the holder is not driving, or in the car at time it is parked, that is also a violation of the handicapped parking statute. Sadly, it's abused all the time and we can't catch them all.

Totally agree as one in particular stands out to me. Several yrs ago I was at a local store and noticed a quite nice/pristine Mercedes AMG (not sure of exact model, etc.) parked in a handicap spot. There was a placard in place, but unless the woman has some mental disturbance she clearly had no physical limitations. She strolled out with her cart practically running, while smoking nonetheless, loaded up that AMG then left the cart in an empty spot instead of walking the 20' or so to return it to the lot stall. She then removes the placard as if it's the plague and rips off like no tomorrow. Can still recall that situation like it was yesterday!

Totally agree as one in particular stands out to me. Several yrs ago I was at a local store and noticed a quite nice/pristine Mercedes AMG (not sure of exact model, etc.) parked in a handicap spot. There was a placard in place, but unless the woman has some mental disturbance she clearly had no physical limitations. She strolled out with her cart practically running, while smoking nonetheless, loaded up that AMG then left the cart in an empty spot instead of walking the 20' or so to return it to the lot stall. She then removes the placard as if it's the plague and rips off like no tomorrow. Can still recall that situation like it was yesterday!
I have called people out on it when I am right there. No one cares. I will be like "that spot is for someone that actually needs it", they shrug and keep going.

I say make it a criminal offence - minimum 1 week in jail, $1500 fine. Fund the bill. Put a few under covers on the case. Perp walk the first offenders in front of a camera. Problem solved.

And then there is this type of situation. Doesn't take much in this state to get a physician to approve of a placard :rolleyes:.

I have called people out on it when I am right there. No one cares. I will be like "that spot is for someone that actually needs it", they shrug and keep going.

I say make it a criminal offence - minimum 1 week in jail, $1500 fine. Fund the bill. Put a few under covers on the case. Perp walk the first offenders in front of a camera. Problem solved.
That could take care of a lot of crimes.

I've had many, many arguments along these line with my parents, both of whom have handicapped hang tags(although they condensed down to one car last year, primarily since my dad doesn't drive anymore, so not sure if they held on to two cards).

Way too many times I'd be out with them, usually my mom driving, and I'd need to run into somewhere with them staying in the car.

Regardless of the fact that I'm fully able-bodied and was the only one getting out, they'd normally still pull right into a handicapped spot no matter how many times I said not to do it. They thought I'd appreciate getting close to the door, which is true BUT I'm perfectly capable of walking from further away and think that the spots should be saved for people who do actually need them. My parents do need them if they're getting out, but again I'm talking about situations where they're going to sit in the car.

I don't see them anywhere near as often now, and normally I solve the whole argument now by "suggesting" that I drive(they usually prefer I do now, especially when they come to visit me). I drop them off at the door of wherever we're going and then park wherever I want to that's not a handicapped spot.

To be clear, my parents do have a legitimate need for a plackard. They both have mobility issues-not enough to keep them from walking but enough that any distance is pretty tiring/difficult. It's especially become a bigger issue with my dad being diagnosed with parkinson's, and a lot of the balance/stability issues that come with that. Still, though, that doesn't mean using a spot when they're getting in the car. Sometimes they're guilty though of acting like it's their "right" to park in those spaces regardless of the circumstances.

They're also both bad(my dad too when he still drove) of being sloppy about overlapping in the wheelchair loading areas. I'm not sure if they fully appreciate how big of a deal those zones are for the people who need them and how even if they're "only" taking a couple of inches of them that could be the difference between someone being able to get out or not. Sometimes it's like talking to a wall. I'd think my dad would be especially conscious/sympathetic to that issue given that he had a coworker and good friend who was paralyzed waste down from polio and in a motorized chair. My dad went out to lunch with this friend often enough that he's ridden in a conversion van more than a few times and seen how much space getting out of it required...

It's a wonder that someone didn't take it into their own hands......broken windshield, side of car keyed...etc.

It's a wonder that someone didn't take it into their own hands......broken windshield, side of car keyed...etc.
Are people that stupid ? Two wrongs don't make a right and if someone did anything like those, they'd better be punished/prosecuted as well.

Totally agree as one in particular stands out to me. Several yrs ago I was at a local store and noticed a quite nice/pristine Mercedes AMG (not sure of exact model, etc.) parked in a handicap spot. There was a placard in place, but unless the woman has some mental disturbance she clearly had no physical limitations.
Mental disturbance is not a valid condition to obtain a handicapped parking permit .

Back