Parking in handicap spots with no handicap plaq

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Originally Posted By: grampi
I'm seeing a lot of this; people parking in handicap spots with no handicap sign in their vehicle. So I printed up a bunch of messages that read:

"You must have a handicap sign displayed in your windshield to park in a handicap spot. If you don't have one, don't park here. The next time you will be reported."

I fold up the message and stick it under their wiper blade. I have been noticing less violators, but I don't know if it's just coincidence, or if my handing out of these messages is actually getting through to these idiots...do you see a lot of this where you live?

I think you should investigate further before making a judgement.

Why, all I am doing is leaving a note on their windshield...it isn't like I'm doing what was in the Jim Carey video...

Some airline destinations attract wheelchair passengers. Manila for example. I would see around 20 passengers in wheelchairs getting early boarding. Probably ¾ of them were scamming. They all walked off at the other end. Generally on a international flight there will only be a handful.

Scammers use a system to their advantage. It’s sad when it affects someone who deserves the treatment.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I see a lot of people who don't hang the placard from their mirror UNTIL they pull into the spot.

I don't understand the reasoning behind this...

Because it says on the placard to remove while driving. Driving without an obstructed view is a plus.
I know this is the case because my placard states this clearly across the top.

Anyone remember the Seinfeld episode where George parks his father's car in the handicapped spot and it gets destroyed?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: PimTac
A lot of people use their family members handicap placard even though they are not handicapped themselves. There are always the scammers.

This is true. We have a fella at work that parks his truck right up front in the handicap spot by our door....because he uses his wife's placard. This guy works tons of overtime as well....yet nobody will call him on it. I mentioned it to my supervisor and she became pale and said she wouldn't go there.

So....that is just the way people are today.

Around here those spaces fill up fast as do the seats of the electric carts in stores. Seems like there are a lot of handicapped people around these days.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Around here those spaces fill up fast as do the seats of the electric carts in stores. Seems like there are a lot of handicapped people around these days.

Some people do have legit issues and 100% need the scooter. There is a lot of abuse though and many people are just extremely overweight. "Well my hips hurt" of course they do, you weigh north of 300.

Midland Tx, a booming oil town has great police and citizens. They send a volunteer Handicap Parking Ticket crew out all the time. I need a placard, and forgot to put it up, and had to go get it dismissed.

I hardly ever see someone trying it, but it think a few families might have a disabled, and they use it even when that member isn't with them.

I keep getting Asian Airlines asking me what's wrong with me, since they mostly see dementia flyers in chairs, and I just learned LOTS OF SCAMMERS.

I was flying to Narita from DFW, and the Asian woman asked what was wrong, since I was very alert.

Her husband needed a wheelchair, and on next flight discovered she had ordered herself a chair, too, and she worked as a nurse easily walking.

No wonder airlines wanna know! She has husband to attend to,and even gets on plane first, but wants the SPA experience, too! Pure narcissistic greed!

I'm 65, and always had mild muscular dystrophy, so finally can't walk, but can stand, walk with hand hold a little, and scoot around car to do brake job.

Yeah I hate that. I drive my grandparent's around to doctors appointments and stores, and see it every once in a while.

I bought my grandpa's Jeep last year, it still has the handicap plate in it. Would never use it.

They hand those placards out like candy it seems. More often than not whoever is parked in that spot doesn't really need to be. Plenty of low sports cars, or jacked up trucks that people jump out of and sprint to the building. So I don't care if they have the sign or not. I'm parking as far away from everyone else as I can anyway.

Didn't we just have a thread on this topic?

Anyway, yes there are those that don't need those spots, that fraudulently use them anyway. Hopefully the Law or Karma catches up with them. There are some who need those spots, that have a handicap that isn't immediately obvious. Then, as mentioned, there are healthy caregivers that might be transporting a handicapped person, and after dropping the handicapped person off at the door, they are parking the car. Or they are picking up a handicapped person, and will be bringing the handicapped person back to the car. Then there are those that have a legitimate need for a handicapped placard, and have one, but they forget to hang it up.

My point: Don't be so quick to judge.

Why is this a sore point for me? My elderly parents both have CHF, amongst other issues. They both have a genuine need. Some days are worse than others. On the worse days they use their handicapped placard.

Then there's my oldest sister: She has two artificial knees, and needs still more work there. She has a crushed L3 vertebrae and was nearly paralyzed, with a plate screwed into several vertebrae above and below L3. Last year she broke her leg in four places, and has plates and screws throughout her leg. We joke that she has more hardware in her than a small hardware store..

She has a handicapped placard. EVERY day is a struggle. Some days are worse than others. She uses the placard when she needs to.

Actually, he is assaulting her. She is a tinhorn fourflusher for sure, but he isn't the parking lot police. He probably has more hangups than the tinhorn.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
I remembered this after reading your post.

That worthless hoe proved how even more stupid she is by wasting her $10 fancy lattes by throwing them at the camara man! That chick is TRULY a low class waste of skin.

I'm seeing a lot of this; people parking in handicap spots with no handicap sign in their vehicle. So I printed up a bunch of messages that read:

"You must have a handicap sign displayed in your windshield to park in a handicap spot. If you don't have one, don't park here. The next time you will be reported."

I fold up the message and stick it under their wiper blade. I have been noticing less violators, but I don't know if it's just coincidence, or if my handing out of these messages is actually getting through to these idiots...do you see a lot of this where you live?

Why, all I am doing is leaving a note on their windshield...it isn't like I'm doing what was in the Jim Carey video...

It can unnecessarily create angst. Imagine you are disabled, get into your car and then see something on the windshield. You have to then get out and see what it is.

If you feel so strongly about this, you should wait for the driver to come back and question them about the missing plaque.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
They hand those placards out like candy it seems. More often than not whoever is parked in that spot doesn't really need to be. Plenty of low sports cars, or jacked up trucks that people jump out of and sprint to the building. So I don't care if they have the sign or not. I'm parking as far away from everyone else as I can anyway.

After I had my surgery and couldn't walk properly for some time, I asked but the doctor didn't agree that I needed one of those. It's not as easy as people think it is.

It can unnecessarily create angst. Imagine you are disabled, get into your car and then see something on the windshield. You have to then get out and see what it is.

If you feel so strongly about this, you should wait for the driver to come back and question them about the missing plaque.

Anyone that surreptitiously leaves little notes, is not going to be brave enough to do that.

Rules only stop someone who will obey them. Many parking rules go unenforced, and apparently, there's no shame in taking the spot from someone who needs it.

I say it is pretty low to take the spot from someone who needs it. Then again, maybe their handicap is not having a sense of decency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back