Opinion on Purchase of 2000 BMW 323i Sport Wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Those screaming "run" have probably never even sat in a BMW much less owned one.
Those who've owned them have a better appreciation of the work done to keep this car fresh over many years and miles as well as how good these cars really are when properly looked after.
As I wrote above, a BMW isn't a Toyota Camry, but then it doesn't drive like grandma's Camry either.

You probably would believe me just how many people when they sit in my X5 ask: so any major issues so far?
I am like: you want to walk rest of the trip?

Its an X5, so it is only a matter of time before they have to; My parents friends had one and it was flat bedded twice the first year they owned it.

They are driving a lexus now. Anecdote for sure, but they seem to add up with certain brands of cars.

It is probably a good vehicle for people with certain expectations, a bad vehicle for people with other expectations.

My neighbor had to flat bed Lexus RX 350 twice, so fa not my X5, although I am doing almost 30K a year.
Or as my mother in law would say once I bought BMW: oooo, our friends had it. Transmission died and they only drove it to church. I said: it died bcs. they only drove it to church. She still think I am making fun of church. BMW's are made to be driven not stored.

Well stated Edyvw. Those cars are meant to be driven a lot more than holed up in a garage.

$5k seems a bit much, IMO. My 5-series is 2 years younger, has half the miles, and is in pretty good condition, and it is probably worth $5K at best.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: gregk24
I think that repair history tells you all you need to know.

That it was well cared for and will serve him well into the future?

Possibly, but more than likely with continued failing parts.

Those screaming "run" have probably never even sat in a BMW much less owned one.
Those who've owned them have a better appreciation of the work done to keep this car fresh over many years and miles as well as how good these cars really are when properly looked after.
As I wrote above, a BMW isn't a Toyota Camry, but then it doesn't drive like grandma's Camry either.

Precisely; lots of comments based on fifth-hand hearsay- and more than a few likely motivated by envy or spite.

The owner changed his mind and is gonna keep it and not sell it. That takes care of that decision.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
The owner changed his mind and is gonna keep it and not sell it. That takes care of that decision.

He did you a favor.

You were looking at a 2.3L/2.8L of the 323i and 328i BMW. I think it was the next year, or 2002 perhaps, that the 325i and 330i - 2.5L and 3.0L - were reintroduced. The 328i did have some get-up-and-go, the 330i? Even more so. And we won't even go into parts availability for those oddballs.

Mail him a thank-you card.

Originally Posted By: Gebo

A 2.3L duratec 5spd focus wagon of that era might wouldn't be all that far off the 323 wagon in terms of performance and maybe driving experience. Anyways, if he's still looking for a wagon that is still reasonably fun to drive and dirt cheap, he should try one.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

A 2.3L duratec 5spd focus wagon of that era might wouldn't be all that far off the 323 wagon in terms of performance and maybe driving experience. Anyways, if he's still looking for a wagon that is still reasonably fun to drive and dirt cheap, he should try one.

Really? Those two couldn't be farther off in terms of anything. 170hp v 130hp, RWD v FWD, inline 6 v 4 cylinder, BMW materials and build v late 90's Ford. I don't think anyone cross-shopped the two when they were new, or ever.

I can't tell if you're serious...

)

Really? Those two couldn't be farther off in terms of anything. 170hp v 130hp, RWD v FWD, inline 6 v 4 cylinder, BMW materials and build v late 90's Ford. I don't think anyone cross-shopped the two when they were new, or ever.

Yeah, seriously. Apples and oranges.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
)

I don't think that the two cars are even that similar.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I don't think that the two cars are even that similar.

Well, they're both wagons... so maybe they're both fruits? A fresh Gala apple to a rotted brown banana perhaps?

I did have to cherry pick the 2.3 duratec with 145hp, but C&D got a 7.9s 0-60 with the wagon so they are very close for acceleration, and a "normal suspension" model bmw of that era has about the same body roll as a Focus, similar suspension design even with struts in the front and multi-link rear. The Focus has good steering feel and not enough power for torque steer to ruin things, so its still entertaining to drive I find. We have stock suspended 325's and 328's of that era come out for autocross and they pitch and roll as bad as my car, and they do the one wheel peel almost as bad as my car too. Last time out on a quicker course I still beat a 99 328ci (good driver, but bad day for cones) on raw time and very close to the other BMW's except for the one with well modded suspension and an LSD.

Sure the BMW was a nicer car when new, but for a "work" wagon that is kinda fun to drive on the street, you can do alot worse than a Focus. I really wanted the BMW wagon, but the cost of a good one to DD, the mileage on premium fuel, smaller cargo space, and its rarity in my area, made me go with the Focus.

As much as I want to agree with you (being someone who owns both), that's too much of a stretch.

Sure the Focus handles well and has a "sporty" feel to it when new (like mine does) but nowhere is it near as involving to drive as a BMW.

The fit, finish and refinement of the BMW are exactly what these customers want.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

Precisely; lots of comments based on fifth-hand hearsay- and more than a few likely motivated by envy or spite.

Envious of a 16 year old BMW estate?

Really?

BMWs of that era a quite nice in certain respects but in most ways the mk3 Mondeo was a better vehicle. And it sold in higher number in Europe for that reasons.

The 3 Series outsold the Mondeo in more recent times in Europe but not sure if that is still the case.

But envious.......

And when did a Mondeo indeed Focus swap ends in slippy conditions?

On the subject of reliability BMWs of that age are not worth anything like that.

They are firmly moving toward the Bangernomics end of the market.

My mk3 Mondeo did nearly 250k on just servicing, two handbrake cables and brakes/tyres. Did clean the EGR and inlet manifold.

My V50 2.0D did well over 150k (can't remember mileage at sale) on just basic servicing and tyres.

My Pathfinder was the same 150k on oil and filters plus a tyres and pads all round.

$5000 seems an awful lot for a 16 yr old BMW estate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
As much as I want to agree with you (being someone who owns both), that's too much of a stretch.

Sure the Focus handles well and has a "sporty" feel to it when new (like mine does) but nowhere is it near as involving to drive as a BMW.

The fit, finish and refinement of the BMW are exactly what these customers want.

New for new, I agree there's no comparison, but in the continuum of used wagons that cost $5k, I chose the Focus for a DD for the reasons above. If I had a short commute, I'd give a BMW a try and deal with any extra issues, but I don't.

I did have to cherry pick the 2.3 duratec with 145hp, but C&D got a 7.9s 0-60 with the wagon so they are very close for acceleration, ...

Guys, guys,
on the focus forums there was one guy who took a focus 2000-2001 wagon, did some body work, dropped a crate Cobra engine and a RWD drive (details are fuzzy from what vehicle), and had a real custom rwd wagon (on black :))))).

maybe that was Indylan thinking about?

cheers, may your beeer be cold and peace

P.S. mcompact, i know you are and been a HPDE instructor for years. indylan tracked his cars for some years too, so maybe his "feeling"/ "but-dynometer" may be closer to you than me/typical BITOG-er (who drove base cars all his live)
Cold one on me?

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

New for new, I agree there's no comparison, but in the continuum of used wagons that cost $5k, I chose the Focus for a DD for the reasons above. If I had a short commute, I'd give a BMW a try and deal with any extra issues, but I don't.

In your situation yes, I'd also choose the Focus (heck, I even have the same year as yours).
cheers3.gif

Despite being almost 20 years older than the Focus, the BMW still performs better than the Focus, especially in the corners (both cars being completely stock).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back