Old Dog Vestibular Syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 10 year old bull dog mix went into stroke-like convulsions/seizures last night. It was quite frightening and we thought he was going to die in our arms. We could not reach our long time Veterinarian and was referred to the local university clinic. The university clinic vet never returned our call (as promised) and they had a 3 to 4 hour wait time. We took him to another emergency clinic with poor results. More about that later.

We brought him home and began providing comfort and support, educating ourselves during a furious Google learning session. He has very classic symptoms of Old Dog Vestibular Syndrome, which is the "good" kind that most dogs recover nearly 100% without much medical intervention. We made it through the night, and a morning call from our vet recommended that we keep him at home to reduce stress and get rest. He will see our dog on Monday.

Realize that there are many types of dog seizures, including epilepsy. Old Dog Vestibular Disease is very common and less life threatening than other types/causes (tumors, organ failure, toxic intake, and a host of other stuff). However, the incident was very traumatic for all of us. Dealing with the "help me" look in his eyes while he is convulsing and choking on saliva is scary.

We will get more confirmation on Monday. Today, our dog is resting well, hydrating,with good functions otherwise. But, he is very weak and still has a very tiny bit of twitching. If dogs don't get better within 72 hours, there might be something more serious. We applied some homeopathic medications for support and comfort: a calming supplement to reduce stress and a motion sickness supplement to assist disorientation. We think having him at home was big plus...less stress and 24/7 care.

Please everyone, if you have old dogs, educate yourself about this so you can be prepared. Some people have their dogs euthanized, not knowing the facts. There is lots of good info on the internet, but as always, seek proper medical attention.

Our emergency vet clinic visit??? After a $100 dollar assessment, they asked for a $800 down payment to begin a full scale diagnostic program, with much more costs anticipated. No other alternatives offered. The place seemed shady.

We are keeping our fingers crossed (and providing excellent support activities). So far, so good. 10 years is quite old for bull dogs, and we need to consider quality of life issues. I imagine I will take some heat for not considering $2,000 or more to extend an old dog's life. We are just not that way, within reason.

You won't get any heat from me- it sounds like you did right by your dog. Quality of life is a tough one and only for you and your family to decide. I believe that you'll know exactly when the time is right.

I am glad to hear your dog appears to be back on the mend! It's also nice to know that you value him enough to agonize over his suffering, correct treatment and quality of life. You sir are okay in my book.

Save up the money for a new dog. I have been a dog owner all my life and sadly I have had to have dogs put down , had dogs run away and get run over etc. I am amazed at what people spend to save a dog and send the vets kids to Waikiki for spring break.

My 13 yr old (at the time) Boston Terrier was diagnosed with it back in 2008, very freaky.

This is what I posted about it on another forum when it happened:
Quote:
Well, my 13 yr old Boston started acting a little weird on Saturday. She was walking a little funny and kind of sideways. She has some hip and knee problems so I thought that is what it was. About an hour later, she was sitting at the foot of the couch, just sitting weird and acting a little spaced out. I picked her up and she just slumped into my lap (which is unusual for her, she is momma's dog, and almost never sits in my lap). I was looking at her eyes and they were moving weird, kind of twitching and actually rotating in their sockets. My first thought was she was having a seizure, but after a minute or so, I realized it was not. Then I thought she was having a stroke because she now would not stand up, she would immediately go to the ground and start to kind of flop around. My wife is freaking and so we bring the kids to my sisters and then go to the vet thinking we are going to have to have her put to sleep. Well after about 20 minutes the vet come in and looks at her and says she is not having a stroke, it is Old Dog Vestibular disease, and she should be fine. We were so relieved. The vet gave us some info in it and some medicine for Tinker for her dizziness.

Basically her vestibula has gone hay wire. That is the part of the ear that is for balance. When it is messed up, you get real severe vertigo. No known cause for it (some common causes are ear infection or brain tumors, but she is not showing any symptoms of that). The vet said she should start to get better in 24-72 hours, but may take a few weeks to get back to "normal".
As of right now, all she will do is lay in her bed. She will eat if I hold her and fed her. She will not drink water, but I add water to her food and she drinks it then, and I give her some with a syringe. Still no improvement as of yet, but it has not gotten any worse either.

Weird thing that scared the [censored] out of us. There is also a feline version, so anybody with older cats or dogs, just be aware this is out there.

Unfortunately, I found her dead in her bed a few days later.

Hope your pooch feels better.

There is a human version of that and I had it. Your eyes go goofy and everything spins. The doc does a maneuver of manipulating the orientation of your head and that usually fixes it. The doc said the "crystals" in your inner ear get out of place and cause it. Very disconcerting.

Originally Posted By: redbone3
There is a human version of that and I had it. Your eyes go goofy and everything spins. The doc does a maneuver of manipulating the orientation of your head and that usually fixes it. The doc said the "crystals" in your inner ear get out of place and cause it. Very disconcerting.

I believe you're referring to BPV- benign positional vertigo, my wife gets it from time time. Not at all the same as the O/P's dog.

What's your point? As a pet owner, you've taken on the responsibility of your pet, and you've also taken on the responsibility of making the end of life decision for your pet. It's up to each pet owner to decide when that time comes and how much they are willing to invest.

Anyone who has had pets or grown up around animals and livestock should already have a pretty good understanding of what happens when they get close to the end of life. Most of us have already educated ourselves on what may happen before it happens, especially with a breed like a bull dog that has an inherent laundry list of breed-specific health problems caused by over-breeding.

My 16 year old Blue Heeler cross has been doing that for quite a while. A lot of dogs go through it in old age. She gets a bad one once a month but recovers completely in less than an hour. She gets dizzy and falls down a few times a day but still lives a normal old dog life. Hangs out at the dog park with the small dogs now. Still plays and runs but slowly and eats normal. Hope it turns out to be nothing more serious.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Our 10 year old bull dog mix went into stroke-like convulsions/seizures last night. It was quite frightening and we thought he was going to die in our arms. We could not reach our long time Veterinarian and was referred to the local university clinic. The university clinic vet never returned our call (as promised) and they had a 3 to 4 hour wait time. We took him to another emergency clinic with poor results. More about that later.

We brought him home and began providing comfort and support, educating ourselves during a furious Google learning session. He has very classic symptoms of Old Dog Vestibular Syndrome, which is the "good" kind that most dogs recover nearly 100% without much medical intervention. We made it through the night, and a morning call from our vet recommended that we keep him at home to reduce stress and get rest. He will see our dog on Monday.

Realize that there are many types of dog seizures, including epilepsy. Old Dog Vestibular Disease is very common and less life threatening than other types/causes (tumors, organ failure, toxic intake, and a host of other stuff). However, the incident was very traumatic for all of us. Dealing with the "help me" look in his eyes while he is convulsing and choking on saliva is scary.

We will get more confirmation on Monday. Today, our dog is resting well, hydrating,with good functions otherwise. But, he is very weak and still has a very tiny bit of twitching. If dogs don't get better within 72 hours, there might be something more serious. We applied some homeopathic medications for support and comfort: a calming supplement to reduce stress and a motion sickness supplement to assist disorientation. We think having him at home was big plus...less stress and 24/7 care.

Please everyone, if you have old dogs, educate yourself about this so you can be prepared. Some people have their dogs euthanized, not knowing the facts. There is lots of good info on the internet, but as always, seek proper medical attention.

Our emergency vet clinic visit??? After a $100 dollar assessment, they asked for a $800 down payment to begin a full scale diagnostic program, with much more costs anticipated. No other alternatives offered. The place seemed shady.

We are keeping our fingers crossed (and providing excellent support activities). So far, so good. 10 years is quite old for bull dogs, and we need to consider quality of life issues. I imagine I will take some heat for not considering $2,000 or more to extend an old dog's life. We are just not that way, within reason.

One of the conditions that ultimately lead to me having to put my beloved 13 year old BLM, Thunder, down was vestibular disease/syndrome. It hit him about 5 months before I had to make the call. 1st hit him in March. He suddenly couldn't rise or if he did he was wobbly and would fall. Off to the vet ER and by the time the exam was done he had actually improved some and they thought it was actually his back hurting that was making him fall and not be able to rise so we took him home with some pain med's.

He improved for a few days them WHAM it hit hard and like you say it looked like a stroke. I was able to get him to his regular vet( 100X's better than the ER )where he was diagnosed with vestibular disease. It would hit Thunder for a few days and then he would recover from it for a few weeks or even a month before it hit him again. Just awful!

I have never heard of a "good kind" though? It is a bad thing to happen and any info I ever got is once a dog is effected it will repeat. It doesn't just go away after one bout. Dog might improve for a bit but it will be back. I was also told the most likely cause( like 95%+ )of this is a tumor somewhere in the brain. That is what caused it on Thunder anyway.

It is definitely an AWFUL thing to watch and the worst part of it all is there really is NOTHING you can do for this condition or believe me I would have for Thunder( my dog is my kid and I will find a way no matter what as long as it helps them and they aren't suffering ). All you can do is ride it out with the dog. If the dog is otherwise healthy then this is something you will have to try and deal with. If, like my Thunder, your dog has other serious problems you may be at the point where you have to make the call if it repeats often? Vestibular disease isn't why I put Thunder down but it was a contributing factor.

Having been there in your shoes I do not envy what is ahead of you. My sincere condolences this has happened and prayers for your pooch he is able to recover and deal with this.

Put your dog down - bury him in your backyard - then continue to weep for a few days.

Then, go get another dog - take him to the spot in your yard where your dog is buried and introduce your new dog to the old, departed dog.

Then enjoy the new dog for many years to come and all those tears will turn to laughter over a matter of just a few weeks or months.

I have a dog graveyard behind my garage and I commemorate all of them every year, in a private, short ceremony of respect and love.

Last edited:
Life must go on. I also bury my old friends (dogs only!) in my own back yard. But your new dog will comfort you and try its best to be your friend...

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I have never heard of a "good kind" though? It is a bad thing to happen and any info I ever got is once a dog is effected it will repeat. It doesn't just go away after one bout. Dog might improve for a bit but it will be back. I was also told the most likely cause( like 95%+ )of this is a tumor somewhere in the brain. That is what caused it on Thunder anyway.

We are only speculating until our Vet examines our dog. But, the "good kind" is described as "peripheral form of the disease arising from outside the central nervous system which is caused by disorders affecting the inner ear." One type is the inner ear "crystals misaligned" already described above, and in this article: http://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/144951...-and-prevention

Dogs often recover near fully from this type with only moderate medical intervention.

Another type is "Central vestibular disease, which is a much less common and more serious form of the condition, originates inside the central nervous system." This type is more likely to be caused by things like turmors, organ disfunction, etc., and sounds like the type you experienced NHHEMI. This article explains both: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/06/04/canine-vestibular-disease.aspx

I share this, hoping that others can benefit from our learning experience. I'm sure this is an easy concept to comprehend for most. As already said, some people prematurely put their dogs down, not realizing that dogs often recover from the "good kind" and continue an excellent life into old age.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: redbone3

I believe you're referring to BPV- benign positional vertigo, my wife gets it from time time. Not at all the same as the O/P's dog.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

We are only speculating until our Vet examines our dog. But, the "good kind" is described as "peripheral form of the disease arising from outside the central nervous system which is caused by disorders affecting the inner ear." One type is the inner ear "crystals misaligned" already described above, and in this article: http://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/144951...-and-prevention

Color me misinformed. My apologies redbone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back