Oil temps (and coolant, trans) track log

My Gen Coupe turbo would always hit 300F oil temp after about 4 or 5 laps. :(
So I am friends with a guy that has a MK7 GTI that has gone full nerd on data logging and looking at/deealilgn with oil/coolant temps. Hood vent for more flow, testing the ideal oil cooler placement, best intercoolers, etc. Tons of data/info:

www.datadrivenmqb.com

On our cars, oil and DSG are both cooled with heat exchangers with the coolant so it's all tied together. I run a lightened mixture of coolant with VP Cooldown and distilled water...not that cold here and I am still running plenty of G13 coolant. Even in 90+ deg temps and a shorter track with lower speeds lots of on/off throttle bursts, 282 is as high as I've seen. On our cars, intake air temps are an issue as higher IATs = lower power from timing correction/power reduction. Here (didn't show on this log) I see at best low 20s delta IAT to ambient which isn't bad but there are more efficient intercoolers out there than the one I have and a hood vent certainly has to help heat escape as well as improve airflow through the front heat exchanger stack (condenser/intercooler/radiator all sandwiched).

My Gen Coupe turbo would always hit 300F oil temp after about 4 or 5 laps. :(

I remember hearing about those complaints with the 2.0T Genesis on the track. You definitely need a separate oil cooler on those things for track duty.

I remember hearing about those complaints with the 2.0T Genesis on the track. You definitely need a separate oil cooler on those things for track duty.
External oil coolers on the MK7 VWs work but many are positioned in front of the r. side/IC outlet which of course.....heats up your IATs so basically defeats the purpose. If I do one, I'm tucking mine in the r. side fender area behind the bumper.

I went through the whole routine then never tracked it again. Put in a bigger radiator, added an external oil cooler, then took that out and fabbed in a coolant oil filter exchanger. Ended up taking that out due to overly complicated with no needed.

External oil coolers on the MK7 VWs work but many are positioned in front of the r. side/IC outlet which of course.....heats up your IATs so basically defeats the purpose. If I do one, I'm tucking mine in the r. side fender area behind the bumper.
You are saved by low altitude. Add 1,000-1,500ft, and you are in limp mode.
For example, here, no VW can do more than 4-5 laps without an external oil cooler.
We have saying here: only two things are constant on the track: Subaru head gaskets and VW's limp mode.

You are saved by low altitude. Add 1,000-1,500ft, and you are in limp mode.
For example, here, no VW can do more than 4-5 laps without an external oil cooler.
We have saying here: only two things are constant on the track: Subaru head gaskets and VW's limp mode.
Truth. Most of what we see here is oil temps exceeding ~280 then the coolant climbing past ~240 which is a no-go/come in. Many add the popular aftermarket oil coolers b/c they are scared of the 280 only to find out they are down on power from the high IATs being heated up by the oil cooler exhaust. Got to do it right if you do it....I'll end up with one at some point I think. DSG cooler too...it gets hot as well and will puke.

Truth. Most of what we see here is oil temps exceeding ~280 then the coolant climbing past ~240 which is a no-go/come in. Many add the popular aftermarket oil coolers b/c they are scared of the 280 only to find out they are down on power from the high IATs being heated up by the oil cooler exhaust. Got to do it right if you do it....I'll end up with one at some point I think. DSG cooler too...it gets hot as well and will puke.
Yeah, that was my thinking, that DSG cooling in your case might be of more pressing need.

Yeah, that was my thinking, that DSG cooling in your case might be of more pressing need.
I've never had the trans temp warning even at 270 trans temps.

Back