HPL on track at SCCA Track Night in America

Updated post with this info.

Fronts are 6-piston.

Rears hold up perfectly fine. Don't really chew pads/rotors. Still on slotted rotors I put in 3 years ago. Pads I've played with...was using EBC Yellowstuff but now am running their Bluestuff NDX - not many performance options for these tiny econo-brakes.

There were a few OE bolt on options. Golf R/GTI Performance Package 340s. They weigh a ton and if upgrading why not go all in? If I had the OE 340s from the factory I wouldn't have messed with them. Audi and Porsche have a few OE fixed/multi-piston bolt-on options.

If you are going through the trouble...do it right.

2-piece is broski material? Wow.
2 piece is definitely track broski material.(it's a joke not ..... so don't take it too hard)

Mod list is well thought out, tbh. I'm impressed.

What k8nd of pad shape those fronts use?? Are they readily available??

Do you think that the front calipers offered you a significant improvement over a bolt on option?? I only ask because some bolt on options from other models are **** good.

Or was the cost between the two options close enough that you decided to do it once and not look back???

What's she weigh??

2 piece is definitely track broski material.(it's a joke not ..... so don't take it too hard)

Mod list is well thought out, tbh. I'm impressed.

What k8nd of pad shape those fronts use?? Are they readily available??

Do you think that the front calipers offered you a significant improvement over a bolt on option?? I only ask because some bolt on options from other models are **** good.

Or was the cost between the two options close enough that you decided to do it once and not look back???

What's she weigh??
That APR BBK uses a common shape - can find easily by using a 2018 Subaru WRX STI...there are others/info on which pads. Lots of options. Carbotech/G-Loc have one and I actually have a set of EBC RP-1 track pads to try out that were only ~$200 and have a similar MOT as the APR track pads/Carbotech XP10.

The bolt on options that are fixed and will work well are $$$ and at that point, this was just my choice to go all-in on a full-bore track type BBK. The popular budg-o one is to the Porsche Macan setup but it's not great w/r to pedal feel apparently. These APRs are made by Power Brake out of South Africa BTW.

Total car weight with me in it is ~3,400 with all the spare stuff out etc.

Here is the brake weight info. So saved nearly 7 pounds per side up front vs. the OE 340s.

Capture.JPG

but I'm not driving at a level that it seems to be an issue.
Don't be so sure about that. You're **** good. IMHO, your tire choice, even though a excellent one for lapping is holding you back some. Toss on a set of rt660s and see what happens. I think you're going to be surprised.

That APR BBK uses a common shape - can find easily by using a 2018 Subaru WRX STI...there are others/info on which pads. Lots of options. Carbotech/G-Loc have one and I actually have a set of EBC RP-1 track pads to try out that were only ~$200 and have a similar MOT as the APR track pads/Carbotech XP10.

The bolt on options that are fixed and will work well are $$$ and at that point, this was just my choice to go all-in on a full-bore track type BBK. The popular budg-o one is to the Porsche Macan setup but it's not great w/r to pedal feel apparently. These APRs are made by Power Brake out of South Africa BTW.

Total car weight with me in it is ~3,400 with all the spare stuff out etc.

Here is the brake weight info. So saved nearly 7 pounds per side up front vs. the OE 340s.

View attachment 163612
I am surprised to hear that about the Macan setup. I have the Macan fronts on my S4 and I love them. Pedal feel actually improved vastly in my case.

I think when it comes to "pedal feel" , it's like "which oil I should run?" type of question/answer.

I am actually kind of surprised at the weight. I thought she would be 150-200 lighter.

I don't know if it's the same for your golf, but when I took my seats out to deep clean my car, I knew right off the bat that I can shave a easy 100lbs by going to race type seats.

I am surprised to hear that about the Macan setup. I have the Macan fronts on my S4 and I love them. Pedal feel actually improved vastly in my case.

I think when it comes to "pedal feel" , it's like "which oil I should run?" type of question/answer.

I am actually kind of surprised at the weight. I thought she would be 150-200 lighter.

I don't know if it's the same for your golf, but when I took my seats out to deep clean my car, I knew right off the bat that I can shave a easy 100lbs by going to race type seats.
There is a mega-thread over on the golfmk7 forums about the Macans...most of it is how to rig them up for better pedal feel, it's past subjective, it's a thing on MK7 for whatever reason. Red grease. Some in-line valve things. No thanks was my take. Great cheap upgrade however but glad I did what I did.

It's a Golf R basically - curb weight is 3320 I believe. Yes, seats are heavy, a non-airbag aftermarket seat will shed quite a bit of weight.

Tried my hand at autocross with my son and his buddies yesterday. Well that was interesting...and hard! Hard to follow the course for me. 4/5 I messed it up/DNF. Had one clean run at lower speeds. Still have a good time. The wagon does fine, I need some work for sure. My son did great.

20230703_081926.jpg

Now you can drop down to some 0W-20 since autocross isn't too demanding, lol. ;)
Looking at my logs, there is nothing "not demanding" about punching it for about a minute at redline....my oil went from ~low 200s to 240 in that time! Glad I have that sweet sweet HPL 5W40 with all the MOFTs protecting my 1.8L of fury. The focus on the other hand may have suffered irreversible wear damage from that ST 5W20 and need to be parted out this week. I'm working towards his car moving to the HPL No-VII 5W30 to be fully BITOG-compliant.

Last edited:
Tried my hand at autocross with my son and his buddies yesterday. Well that was interesting...and hard! Hard to follow the course for me. 4/5 I messed it up/DNF. Had one clean run at lower speeds. Still have a good time. The wagon does fine, I need some work for sure. My son did great.
I hear Mazdas do well at autocross.

Back