Oil, coolant, trans, intake air temp data log from track session

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Not sure if anyone is interested but this is what my car's oil, coolant, DSG (trans), and intake air temps looked like over a ~20 min track session at Dominion Raceway in VA in my VW Golf Sportwagen. Ambient was around 90 deg F. Track elevation is around 350 ft msl. I run an ethanol blend of ~22% with my 93 for knock prevention/maxing timing advance of the tune.

The car has >2x stock power (~350 hp primarily through a larger OE turbo from the Golf R and bee boo bop software) for it's 1.8L engine. This was pushing the car so not casually lapping. I run a larger aftermarket intercooler to aid with intake air temps (IATs). Car's power was consistent over the session and no warnings etc. so no issues but these things do run hot!

Oil - HPL Euro 5W40 (max temp 280)
Coolant - VW G13 with a leaner mix ratio + a bottle of VP Cooldown (max temp 244)
DSG fluid - Liquimoly 8100 (max temp 270)
IAT - delta to ambient (avg 29/low 20)

Keep in mind that the only parameter the ECU "cares about" w/r to power and cutting power is IATs. I can't post the full logs b/c they are huge and I'm limited to 3mb for this free site, but I only got a few blips of timing correction/knock retard here but when IATs are triple digit, it's not going to advance the timing to it's fullest and so you aren't making max power like you would on a day where it's 45 degrees.

Last edited:
Interesting to see the fluid temps like this. The oil/trans fluid def working hard on that run.
Yes, I have tons of data but the logs are limited to 3mb for this free site.

Remarkably consistent. What do you think of your trans temps?
They are higher than I would have thought however I never had a trans temp warning (which I have had doing auto cross) so I'd say....send it!

Ideally? I'd have an external DSG and oil cooler tucked in the sides in front of the wheel wells. In front of the condenser/IC/radiator stack will just cause other issues namely reduce intercooler efficiency by blowing all that hot air through. Maybe a project for next year will be cooling but honestly, I'd say it's fine.

Not sure if anyone is interested but this is what my car's oil, coolant, DSG (trans), and intake air temps looked like over a ~20 min track session at Dominion Raceway in VA in my VW Golf Sportwagen. Ambient was around 90 deg F. Track elevation is around 350 ft msl. I run an ethanol blend of ~22% with my 93 for knock prevention/maxing timing advance of the tune.

The car has >2x stock power (~350 hp primarily through a larger OE turbo from the Golf R and bee boo bop software) for it's 1.8L engine. This was pushing the car so not casually lapping. I run a larger aftermarket intercooler to aid with intake air temps (IATs). Car's power was consistent over the session and no warnings etc. so no issues but these things do run hot!

Coolant - VW G13 with a leaner mix ratio + a bottle of VP Cooldown (max temp 244)

Keep in mind that the only parameter the ECU "cares about" w/r to power and cutting power is IATs. I can't post the full logs b/c they are huge and I'm limited to 3mb for this free site, but I only got a few blips of timing correction/knock retard here but when IATs are triple digit, it's not going to advance the timing to it's fullest and so you aren't making max power like you would on a day where it's 45 degrees.

JB4?

JB4

Fantastic device! Stinger 3.3 Lap3 ECU tune with JB4 for WMI / boost control.

Attachments

• IMG_9218.jpeg
    IMG_9218.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1804.jpg
    IMG_1804.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 8
Back