HPL on track at SCCA Track Night in America

High Pressure + High oil temp = Using High HTHS Synthetic Oil IMO (Which you are doing by the way)

20 Weight oil is subject to burning off more at higher temps & you know what that burn off leaves behind? Deposits. The fact that a High quality Synthetic is being used minimizes this effect. Add in the HTHS of the 40 oil & it's capable of withstanding these forces/Temps better than a 20 weight. The numbers tell the facts.

Presumably you are using this car for more than just "Track racing" & there is a reason a 40 weight was given on top of the engine being used. You're seeking longevity with some track days. If you were seeking every last HP & a track only car that you didn't care needed to be rebuilt sooner then you would see a 20 weight.
That being said I doubt you will see any difference in your situation since you have run thicker weights & use this on the street also. It won't grenade by using a 20 but use it for long enough & keep this car long enough it could start drinking oil more on a 20. Will this get you till the end of your ownership... Probably so you'll never really tell the difference since there are not 2 simultaneous tests going on. Throw in the fact that we'll never blame ourselves for the visc of oil we used. lol

Bottom line is that the 40 weight has the potential to stay intact rather than burning up more than a 20. A 20 may contribute to deposit formation vs a 40 from the burn off.

Anyways, I really enjoyed watching the video & it's great to see man/machine still doing what we've been doing for many generations. This is the right place at the right time. My speeding ticket days have been over for a long time lol A track takes that out of the equation. Seeing the specific track on the screen is helpful. You were flying in some of those straightaways.

This is my xx-30 Viscosity version (Opinion)

High Pressure + High oil temp = Using High HTHS Synthetic Oil IMO (Which you are doing by the way)

20 Weight oil is subject to burning off more at higher temps & you know what that burn off leaves behind? Deposits. The fact that a High quality Synthetic is being used minimizes this effect. Add in the HTHS of the 40 oil & it's capable of withstanding these forces/Temps better than a 20 weight. The numbers tell the facts.

Presumably you are using this car for more than just "Track racing" & there is a reason a 40 weight was given on top of the engine being used. You're seeking longevity with some track days. If you were seeking every last HP & a track only car that you didn't care needed to be rebuilt sooner then you would see a 20 weight.
That being said I doubt you will see any difference in your situation since you have run thicker weights & use this on the street also. It won't grenade by using a 20 but use it for long enough & keep this car long enough it could start drinking oil more on a 20. Will this get you till the end of your ownership... Probably so you'll never really tell the difference since there are not 2 simultaneous tests going on. Throw in the fact that we'll never blame ourselves for the visc of oil we used. lol

Bottom line is that the 40 weight has the potential to stay intact rather than burning up more than a 20. A 20 may contribute to deposit formation vs a 40 from the burn off.

Anyways, I really enjoyed watching the video & it's great to see man/machine still doing what we've been doing for many generations. This is the right place at the right time. My speeding ticket days have been over for a long time lol A track takes that out of the equation. Seeing the specific track on the screen is helpful. You were flying in some of those straightaways.

This is my xx-30 Viscosity version (Opinion)
To be clear I have no interest in running a 20W in this car...nor sure where that came from in this thread. The HPL No-VII 5W30 would be fine to use.

my mistake. Thanks for sharing your track days. will you be posting the UOA on this run of HPL
Yep...always do/have! You can find my last one with the same oil with a few track days on it in the UOA sub-forum. I'll have a few more on this oil before it hits 5K.

I thought you were saying that if the crowd killer crew were running x20 in their mustangs, so could our friend Tigeo.
I'm sure this Mustang isn't running 20 grade, lol. Dude is an aggessive driver for sure, and the car can meet the demand.

I'm sure this Mustang isn't running 20 grade, lol. Dude is an aggessive driver for sure, and the car can meet the demand.

Watched one of my favorites on the plane out to AK this week and this part made me LOL thinking of BITOG. Here around 2:30 we see Johnny Tran aka ZeeOSix and his cousin teaching Ted aka random woke thinnie a lesson.....40W? 50W? Clearly Johnny T likes running thick oils in his Honda S2000 with over $100K under the hood for Race Wars! The real question is....what is Hector runnng in his 3 Honda Civics with Spoon Engines, T66 turbos with NOS, and Motec System Exhaust?

Last edited:
Watched one of my favorites on the plane out to AK this week and this part made me LOL thinking of BITOG. Here around 2:30 we see Johnny Tran aka ZeeOSix and his cousin teaching Ted aka random woke thinnie a lesson.....40W? 50W? Clearly Johnny T likes running thick oils in his Honda S2000 with over $100K under the hood for Race Wars! The real question is....what is Hector runnng in his 3 Honda Civics with Spoon Engines, T66 turbos with NOS, and Motec System Exhaust?

😄 ... Looks to be that Ted got some Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 bulk oil to teach him a lesson. What Ted didn't divulge is that those pulled engines were being rebuilt because he thought 0W-20 was "good enough" for the previous track use. 😜

😄 ... Looks to be that Ted got some Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 bulk oil to teach him a lesson. What Ted didn't divulge is that those pulled engines were being rebuilt because he thought 0W-20 was "good enough" for the previous track use. 😜
Would have been better with MoS2! "HOW DOES THIS TASTE TED HUH? HUH? (dark grey stuff pouring out of Ted's mouth...Trav laughing at him b/c it's all settling in his stomach)"

Last edited:
Savagegeese ran 0w20 redline and got an analysis after tracking his GR86. Positive results in wear but he had some good points otherwise on pressures.

Savagegeese ran 0w20 redline and got an analysis after tracking his GR86. Positive results in wear but he had some good points otherwise on pressures.

But he is falling for the same "test" as PF's "ice luge". How it flows naturally/gravity in a funnel is not the same as how oil flows when pumped in your engine. A 0W30 or 40 would look similar in that "test" I believe. Of course the 20 flows through the funnel better...it's a lower viscosity oil. Folks still struggle wtih 0W and what that actually translates to....it's not a "zero weight" when cold.

Last edited:
Savagegeese video wrt to 10W-60 or 5W-xx oil use in cold weather. As long as the cold starting temperature is within the temp range of the 5W or 10W rating then it will be OK. SAE came up with the "W" grade ratings for a reason.

Son piloting the Focus in his first AutoX. Supertech 5W20. Picked up some used Focus ST 18x8" wheels for $275 off Facebook Marketplace (great deal and in good shape) and fitted up some 235/40/18 Accelera 651 Sport 200tw tires ($480 delivered!), grabbed some Ebay special TPMS sensors for $17 and some new lugs (hate those lugs with covers...they swell...for $18 just replace them regularly) and off he went. We did f. brakes for Christmas on it so just ss lines, 600 deg fluid, new slotted/dimpled rotors, and some EBC Yellowstuff pads. It's got a larger rear sway bar and Eibach springs/Koni Sport dampers. It handles great. I'm going to go with him/his buddies next time in a few weeks...never done it but it does like fun. He did well for his first time. He's going to hit a track night as well this summer where I did in the OP. If he keeps at it I'll bit the bullet and up his oil game to a 30W I think...maybe some of that 5W30 free FCP Euro Liquimoly Molygen! Or maybe....some HPL no-VII 5W30 so we can be matchy matchy!

355128339_6298312123583185_7649807257805087540_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back