HPL on track at SCCA Track Night in America

7qhsiz.jpg

Lol I bought phi r and phi 2, just wanted generalized accelera feedback.
Here's a bit more from another forum I'm on (the video should be enough and my post in the tires subforum here should also have info for you):

Accelera 651 Sport bo-bo/off-brand/Indonesium specials update. 255/40/17 on 17x9 wheels. Cold pressures 28-29 to get hot numbers around 35. I continue to have fun on these as I learn/progress. At this point I'm at 7 days/24 sessions/~9 hours plus an additional few K miles (best guess?) on the street - they are about 6-7/32". I have ~-2 camber up front but otherwise a street/OE alignment w/r to toe. They wear well if you drive them within their comfort zone which is slow as many online will attest to ahhaahah. These are not a TT tire but I'd recommend these to anyone wanting to try track driving and not having to spend a lot for tires - they are basically a super-durable summer tire that can handle heat better vs. a super sticky 200 track tire is my take which makes sense as they are drift tires. Several reviewers out there have the same comments...more like a 300tw tire. I think many of the negative reviews are folks trying to save money and be fast which of course you can't have both with tires and it goes back to what I said above "drive them within their comfort zone which is slow" and they will work great. Rain seems fine with 3 main ribs vs. 2 like most 200s. These are now $427 from tirestreets.com for 4 of this size delivered with the typical 15% codes you can find floating around which is crazy. I'm going to put these on a set of wheels for my oldest son to do some track days. I'll likely try something more aggressive for my next set to continue progressing but honestly, I have a ton of fun on these...makes me wonder what the 100tw "XTRA" version is like...

@TiGeo

Been watching all your track videos on tubeyuzzz. They're real nice, great editing.

Don't take this the wrong way, and I may be way off base....but it appears, at least from the videos that you're gripping that wheel a bit too tight, bud. If you loosen up on it, you'll be less tired at the end of a track day, your reactions faster, and your turn in less jerky(if that's even a word).

Then again, I'm all judging by watching a video.

@TiGeo

Been watching all your track videos on tubeyuzzz. They're real nice, great editing.

Don't take this the wrong way, and I may be way off base....but it appears, at least from the videos that you're gripping that wheel a bit too tight, bud. If you loosen up on it, you'll be less tired at the end of a track day, your reactions faster, and your turn in less jerky(if that's even a word).

Then again, I'm all judging by watching a video.
I'd say for the earlier ones when I was new to it agreed. My last time at VIR I'd say I'm pretty relaxed/not jerky at all.

I'd say for the earlier ones when I was new to it agreed. My last time at VIR I'd say I'm pretty relaxed/not jerky at all.

I would have to say that you are right on with the comment. Nice safety gear, BTW.

On a side note, them BMW went by with some disrespect, **** they're quick.

EFR7163 upgrade time???

I would have to say that you are right on with the comment. Nice safety gear, BTW.

On a side note, them BMW went by with some disrespect, **** they're quick.

EFR7163 upgrade time???
Simpson Hybrid S HANS. Only one that is compatible with a 3-point. I'm up to ~140mph on the back straight and ~135mph on the front...it's smart money.

What were those beamers doing, 155-160???
My buddy in an RS3 is hitting 150+, more in his 911. Modded GTIs are 140+. It's a long straight. To hit 140 took me deep into the brake zone more than I'm comfortable with doing all the time but I was hell bent on a GPS-verified 140 in my econo wagon. I chased (and eventually passed...ka-chow!) an Audi R8 - he was at 165 I believe.

Screenshot_20230626_174029_dragyLap.jpg

My buddy in an RS3 is hitting 150+, more in his 911. Modded GTIs are 140+. It's a long straight. To hit 140 took me deep into the brake zone more than I'm comfortable with doing all the time but I was hell bent on a GPS-verified 140 in my econo wagon. I chased (and eventually passed...ka-chow!) an Audi R8 - he was at 165 I believe.

View attachment 163477
Those cars must have been running that SuperTech 0w-20. Less grad on top end.....

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist

You said that 140 mph took you deep into the braking zone. Are your brakes adequate for that speed and weight of the car??? You think you'll need to step up the braking game soon???

You said that 140 mph took you deep into the braking zone. Are your brakes adequate for that speed and weight of the car??? You think you'll need to step up the braking game soon???
My brakes say "hold my beer" 🤣 6-piston BBK w/350x34mm 2-piece rotors, track pads (1450 deg F MOT), and 600 deg fluid. Rear are stock 272x10mm solid rotors with a more mild "track" pad. Probably the best upgrade I made to the car. This BBK is designed for this car's stock bits and pedal feel is great. I've also done some programming changes to the ABS system to give a bit more consistent feel/control.

Apex VS-5RS.jpg

My brakes say "hold my beer" 🤣 BBK w/350x34mm 2-piece rotors, track pads (1450 deg F MOT), and 600 deg fluid. Rear are stock 272x10mm solid rotors with a more mild "track" pad. Probably the best upgrade I made to the car.

View attachment 163585
Ok.....xxxxxxxcccuuuuuzzzzeeee us Mr 2 piece rotor guy. Didn't realize I was dealing with a real track broski!!!!

Fronts are 4 piston or 6 piston???

How are the rears holding up?? Any plans for a vented rotor, or do you not need it???

Were there no bolt on options that you went baller on the fronts?

So for those wondering (if you are?) here is a "build list" for DAS POWER WAGEN!

2018 VW Golf Sportwagen S w/4Motion and DSG complete modification list

Power/engine

IHI IS38 turbo
Unitronic Stage 2+ ECU tune and Stage 2 TCU tune
BMS pedal tuner
United Motorsport Haldex tune
Unitronic downpipe
Unitronic intake and ECS coolant re-route hose
Unitronic intercooler and charge pipes
Unitronic turbo inlet pipe
CTS Turbo turbo muffler delete
APR coil packs
APR Iridium Pro spark plugs (0.020" gap - as they come)
CTS Turbo R/S3 resonator delete w/custom 42DD adapter and Milltek clamps
Racingline Haldex drain (magnetic)/fill plugs
ECS bevel box/rear differential magnetic drain plugs
Uro aluminum oil pan w/magnetic drain plug

Chassis/suspension

H&R Sport springs
Bilstein B8 dampers
Golf R rear jounce bumpers
Euro Sport Street Camber Kit (-0.8 deg camber)
H&R front (27mm)/rear (25mm) sway bars
Tyrolsport front subframe deadset kit
034 rear subframe inserts
034 Dynamic+ front adj sway bar end links
Moog rear sway bar end links
Superpro aluminum lower control arms (+1 deg caster/-0.5 deg camber)
034 Density Line engine/transmission mounts
034 Street Density dog bone pucks, upper/lower dog bone inserts, and billet dogbone mount
Superpro rear trailing arm bushings
Alignment specs: [front -2.0 camber/7.9 caster/0.16 toe] [rear -1.6 camber/0.15 toe]

Brakes

Front: APR 6- piston 350mm BBK w/”Advanced street/Entry-level track day” pads for daily use and “Advanced track day” pads for track use
Audi RS3 brake ducts (modified to fit LCAs)
VW 340mm dust shields (modified to fit BBK/allow air flow to the rotors from ducts)
Rear: Stoptech Sport slotted 272mm rotors, EBC Bluestuff NDX, Neuspeed ss lines
Painted rear calipers w/G2 paint (black)

Wheels/tires

APR A01 flow formed 18x8.5 et45 (black) w/235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (fall-spring, run with 10/15 spacers front/rear)
Apex Race Parts SM-10 flow formed 18x8.5 et43 (bronze) w/235/40/18 Continental Extreme Contact Sport (spring-fall, run with 10/15 spacers front/rear)
Apex Race Parts forged VS-5RS 17x9 et42 (anthracite) w/255/40/17 Accelera 651 Sport (track, run with 5mm spacers in rear)
Apex Race Parts stud conversion kit
Apex Race Parts red center caps
H&R Trak+ 5/10/15mm wheel spacers
Fender screw mod
APR valve caps (black/anthracite)

Exterior

Black mirror caps (Amazon knock-offs)
Smoked dynamic mirror signals (Amazon knock-offs)
VW Golf R variant rear side spoilers
VW roof bars
Yakima Front Loader bike racks
VW Bumperdillo bumper guard
VW splash guards
VW license plate frames
deAutoLED low/high/turns
VW MK6 Jetta full length (w/trans ducts) belly pan
VW Golf R variant rear valance/diffuser
Quad exhaust tips (Ebay knock-offs)
93 Octane gas door sticker
Unitronic stage badge
Golf/TSI badge delete
ECS tow straps
Skoda washer fluid funnel cap
VW Golf R fender liners
VW MK8 rear lower control arm aero covers
VW Tiguan exhaust tunnel aero cover
Audi jacking point kit
Maxton rear spoiler extension

Interior

Leyo DSG shift knob
Leyo DSG paddle extensions
ECS boost gauge and intake manifold tap
Aluminum pedal caps (Amazon knock-offs)
VW self-dimming/Homelink/compass rear view mirror
Audi A3 low profile rear headrests
3D Maxpider floor mats
Weathertech cargo area mat w/cargo blocks
VW driver’s seat underseat drawer
Skoda door pocket rubbish bin
deAutoLED interior LEDs (glove box, rear seats, cargo area)
Badgeskins passenger airbag light overlay
Klii Motorwerks steering wheel logo inlay
Fortem (Amazon) cargo area organizer
First aid kit
VW roadside assistance kit
Kiddie auto fire extinguisher
Element 50 fire extinguisher and Bracketeer mount under p. seat
Type S battery jump boxVW hazard triangle
Llumar Pinnacle ceramic tint 50% front/35% rear
Ebay door hinge covers
Weathertech windshield sun shade
Aukey 12V dual-USB flush-mount charger
12V “eject” button
AA Wireless dongle
ECS center console organizer (lined w/felt)
Schwaben 12V flashlight
Center console arm rest rattle delete
Vumos umbrella/case that fits in door cubby
ProClip phone mount
VW glovebox ventilation kit
Lined glove box and driver’s side cubby w/felt
Aliexpress backlit front overhead map light console
Aliexpress rear console w/USB A/C

Maintenance/fluids/etc.

Redline MT-90 75W90 gear oil for bevel box and rear differential (every other DSG/Haldex change)
Liquimoly 8100 DSG fluid (~30K)
High Performance Lubricants 5W40 Euro motor oil (~5K)
Febi Bilstein Haldex fluid (~30K)
Motul RBF 600 brake fluid
Duracell standard lead-acid H5 battery (10 pounds lighter than a H6 AGM)

Issues/warranty work

HVAC recirculation door motor replaced twice under warranty
SAI combi valve and wiring replaced under warranty
Water pump/thermostat housing replaced outside of warranty at ~73K (may get this reimbursed as a result of the recent class action settlement)
Intake valve carbon cleaning performed at ~73K
Bolts holding timing chain tensioner failed - replaced all timing chain-related components outside of warranty at ~84K

OBDEleven mod list/coding

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K1HMXd3Au-R56MH5ra4Lr6SNfwLj5eCMbHFLWufkuhA/edit?usp=share_link

golfmk7 forum build thread

Do it all Sportwagen - street/hoon/track/drag you name it....this is the way... | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

YouTube channel

karstgeo 72 - YouTube

Ok.....xxxxxxxcccuuuuuzzzzeeee us Mr 2 piece rotor guy. Didn't realize I was dealing with a real track broski!!!!

How are the rears holding up?? Any plans for a vented rotor, or do you not need it???

Updated post with this info.

Fronts are 6-piston.

Rears hold up perfectly fine. Don't really chew pads/rotors. Still on slotted rotors I put in 3 years ago. Pads I've played with...was using EBC Yellowstuff but now am running their Bluestuff NDX - not many performance options for these tiny econo-brakes.

There were a few OE bolt on options. Golf R/GTI Performance Package 340s. They weigh a ton and if upgrading why not go all in? If I had the OE 340s from the factory I wouldn't have messed with them. Audi and Porsche have a few OE fixed/multi-piston bolt-on options.

If you are going through the trouble...do it right.

2-piece is broski material? Wow.

So on the r. vented rotors....a nice OE upgrade is the 310mm vented rears off the MK7 GTI with the Performance Package (mechanical parking brake...Golf R has the same size but electronic parking brake so not compatible) or the MK6 Golf R rears (same 310). It's expensive and honestly, probalby worth it at some point for a bit more heat management but I'm not driving at a level that it seems to be an issue.

Back