Oil recommendations: 335d - DPF, EGR, SCR, Urea delete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If by "approved" you mean LL04, you have missed the subject edy, and clearly a lot more. You jumped into the middle of a conversation with no point of reference. As the title reads - my car no longer has the equipment that require that spec, it produces a lot more torque (and HP) as a consequence of that (and tuning), and as such - I'm much more concerned with HTHS than NOACK with this car. Go back, read a couple pages worth of posts, and then chime in if you've got something beyond Mobil 5W30 ESP, which has been suggested multiple times by 1JZ... but which provides no better HTHS than the OEM BMW LL01 oil.

As you're finding it hard to 'get it'.

Your car was specified with LL04 to protect the emmisions equipment which you no longer have. So use an LL01 oil that will offer the exact same protection an LL04 oil will offer but isn't worked to reduce ash deposits.

LL04 is a great specification to have, emmisions equipment in place or not.

Originally Posted by Bailes1992

Your car was specified with LL04 to protect the emmisions equipment which you no longer have. So use an LL01 oil that will offer the exact same protection an LL04 oil will offer but isn't worked to reduce ash deposits.

I don't know what you think I don't get. Perhaps you skimmed a couple posts and then felt somehow your superior intellect was in demand. It really wasn't. Everything you posted has been posted before - and it didn't contribute to the original post the previous times it was posted either. But thanks anyway.

Clearly you got that my car no longer needs to use LL04 because of the emissions system deletion. What you and the other staunch LL04 defenders continue to ignore is even if the emissions system was not a consideration, the fact remains there is not an LL04 oil available that will provide a sufficient HTHS value to support the significant increase in torque and provide a level of desired increased protection for my modified motor - and certainly if there is one out there... it's more expensive than a LL01 oil with the otherwise same specs - for a LL04 spec my car no longer needs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slipstream444
If by "approved" you mean LL04, you have missed the subject edy, and clearly a lot more. You jumped into the middle of a conversation with no point of reference. As the title reads - my car no longer has the equipment that require that spec, it produces a lot more torque (and HP) as a consequence of that (and tuning), and as such - I'm much more concerned with HTHS than NOACK with this car. Go back, read a couple pages worth of posts, and then chime in if you've got something beyond Mobil 5W30 ESP, which has been suggested multiple times by 1JZ... but which provides no better HTHS than the OEM BMW LL01 oil.

No you do not get it!
First of all, there are stronger versions then yours tuned M57 and new N57 and B57 that use LL-04. So since you do not have emissions, use LL-01.
I also mentioned HTHS for Ravenol.
This thread is: please confirm my "thoughts" so I can congratulate myself. Just get whatever you envisioned since whoever says anything you just go different way.
It is 335d, there is NOTHING special about your BMW.

Last edited:

He has special BMW, like no other in the world.
I think someone needs to develop oil with gold as an additive, just for him, as an unique driver of unique BMW to cruise redneck riviera.

Last edited:

I don't know what you think I don't get. Perhaps you skimmed a couple posts and then felt somehow your superior intellect was in demand. It really wasn't. Everything you posted has been posted before - and it didn't contribute to the original post the previous times it was posted either. But thanks anyway.

Clearly you got that my car no longer needs to use LL04 because of the emissions system deletion. What you and the other staunch LL04 defenders continue to ignore is even if the emissions system was not a consideration, the fact remains there is not an LL04 oil available that will provide a sufficient HTHS value to support the significant increase in torque and provide a level of desired increased protection for my modified motor - and certainly if there is one out there... it's more expensive than a LL01 oil with the otherwise same specs - for a LL04 spec my car no longer needs.

What is that sufficient value? Please do enlighten us!

Well, I researched RLI's products - and while I like the idea behind their product line and I am a huge supporter of the development of alternatively sourced hydrocarbon-based products (as long as my tax dollars don't subsidize their production and marketing) - their 5W40 weight oils have an HTHS only fractionally higher than the 5W30 I'm currently using.- and their products are more expensive than the Redline oils that I have been considering - so therefore I'll be switching to Redline 0W40 initially when I return from this deployment in November (beginning of the cool down along the Northern Gulf Coast), and then on to 5W40 in March of ‘19, when things warm up.

RLI 15w40 HTHS > 3.7 cP (minimum HTHS for a 15w40)
RLI 5w40 HTHS > 3.7 cP (minimum HTHS for a 5w40)

RLI does not publish all the HTHS values for ALL their products. However, due to the unique properties of their oils, high density and VI, the actual HTHS values are higher than typical synthetics for the same viscosity.

For example, their 10w30 HD oil has an advertised KV @ 100c of 11.0 cSt. The HTHS is 3.6 cP.

I saw a comprehensive independent oil analysis of the RLI 15w40, including HTHS. I believe it was measured at 5.2 cP @ 15.5 cSt.

With the 2 examples above, I would estimate the RLI 5w40 to have an actual HTHS of 4.5 or 4.6 cP @ 14.0 cSt.

My own experience using RLI currently, is a 10w40 50/50 blend of 10w30 HD and 15w40 which KV @ 100c was measured at 13.3 cSt per Oil Analyzers. However, using this blend my oil pressure was 5 psi higher at operating temp than the 14.5 cSt 5w40 in a previous fill.

How can a 13.3 cSt oil have a 5 PSI higher pressure than the 14.5 cSt oil? Because the HTHS value is greater with the 13.3 cSt blend. Crazy huh?

This 10w40 blend flows better than the previous fill and eliminated the cold start valvetrain tick I had using D1 5w40.

The RLI Biosyn Xtra SHP 0w30, 5w40 and 15w40 offerings have impressive specs. Nothing really compares to them. Vegetable Ester based lubricants also have unique properties than make them superior in many ways to hydrocarbon based synthetics. If you want to research them further there are scientific studies available on the internet.

I'll run my first fill of 0W40 for about 500 miles, and then drain and fill again. The second fill I will run for about 3000 miles and then I'll start a UOA baseline. By then it will be time to switch to 5W40, which I will run for about 3000 miles, and start the baseline for that weight. After that I move to a 7500 mile drain interval to determine how well the oil holds up, and then determine if I want to move to a longer or shorter drain interval after that - or if I need to switch to another oil.

You don't need a 0w40. A synthetic 15w40 is acceptable for 0F or slightly below. You can use a 10w or 15w in your climate without any problems, and they will resist shearing better than most 0w or 5w options.

Originally Posted by edyvw

No you do not get it!
First of all, there are stronger versions then yours tuned M57 and new N57 and B57 that use LL-04. So since you do not have emissions, use LL-01.
I also mentioned HTHS for Ravenol.
This thread is: please confirm my "thoughts" so I can congratulate myself. Just get whatever you envisioned since whoever says anything you just go different way.
It is 335d, there is NOTHING special about your BMW.

Exactly, edy. OP is looking for confirmation bias.

First - thanks to the people like CleverUserName and JAG for actually contributing, and doing so generously. Thank you!

People like 1Jz, edyvw, bailes1992 and the other clown who trolled my post should just retreat to wherever you came from. You contributed Nothing. None of you provided anything other than your opinion that an LL04 spec oil is a super duper oil and lots of other guys with modified BMW diesels keep using the oil with no issues. Superb - perhaps you can point these innumerable people with these modified cars out... maybe pass their contact info so I can reach out to them to tap their expertise. Or is it you're just a petty pack of little spineless trolls who make stuff up as you go along and think your little words matter. News flash - they don't. You see, while you hide behind your computer at home spending your free time trolling people on blogs like this (sad) - I'm just using my relatively limited down time between missions and asking a relatively direct question on this forum to find a solution for one of my cars when I get back home. Not much else to do in a combat zone when you have a few hours free. I thought I could use it efficiently by tapping some of the knowledge out there - using the blog for what it's meant for. However I keep getting these annoying trolls wasting my time, people who use this forum as some kind of outlet to try to pad their weak egos - because they think there is no risk in an anonymous forum. Pretty weak. Pretty sad.

Now while I'm sure the LL04 spec is as super duper as you guys think it is (although you provided absolutely no real attribution to support your vague and non-specific claims... other than those guys you guys know who have had no issues and all in their modified special BMWs... or 1jz's modified 3-cylinder diesels he claims to have done ‘testing' on... and of course a 3-cylinder is the perfect analog for a heavily modified 6 cylinder when it comes to oil requirements... they are pretty much the same) - there are a lot of oils that meet the super duper level gentleman, but few with the HTHS value I'm looking for my application. And to "enlighten" edyvw - the best HTHS I've found with the lowest viscosity rating is 4.4cP in Redline's 5W40, which is significantly higher than any LL04 oil that I've been able to find - which is not surprising. If you actually read several of the posts here you would already know this - and why the HTHS increase is so important in my application. But words are hard - I know edyvw, and a lot of extra work to go through and comprehend... when your goal was just to be an annoyance instead of a contributor. Again - just move on, you have nothing to contribute - unless you can pull a LL04 spec oil out of your collective backsides with a HTHS greater than 4.4, that costs less than $12 a quart... but, you can't.

Last edited:
First - thanks to the people like CleverUserName and JAG for actually contributing, and doing so generously. Thank you!

People like 1Jz, edyvw, bailes1992 and the other clown who trolled my post should just retreat to wherever you came from. You contributed Nothing. None of you provided anything other than your opinion that an LL04 spec oil is a super duper oil and lots of other guys with modified BMW diesels keep using the oil with no issues. Superb - perhaps you can point these innumerable people with these modified cars out... maybe pass their contact info so I can reach out to them to tap their expertise. Or is it you're just a petty pack of little spineless trolls who make stuff up as you go along and think your little words matter. News flash - they don't. You see, while you hide behind your computer at home spending your free time trolling people on blogs like this (sad) - I'm just using my relatively limited down time between missions and asking a relatively direct question on this forum to find a solution for one of my cars when I get back home. Not much else to do in a combat zone when you have a few hours free. I thought I could use it efficiently by tapping some of the knowledge out there - using the blog for what it's meant for. However I keep getting these annoying trolls wasting my time, people who use this forum as some kind of outlet to try to pad their weak egos - because they think there is no risk in an anonymous forum. Pretty weak. Pretty sad.

Now while I'm sure the LL04 spec is as super duper as you guys think it is (although you provided absolutely no real attribution to support your vague and non-specific claims... other than those guys you guys know who have had no issues and all in their modified special BMWs... or 1jz's modified 3-cylinder diesels he claims to have done ‘testing' on... and of course a 3-cylinder is the perfect analog for a heavily modified 6 cylinder when it comes to oil requirements... they are pretty much the same) - there are a lot of oils that meet the super duper level gentleman, but few with the HTHS value I'm looking for my application. And to "enlighten" edyvw - the best HTHS I've found with the lowest viscosity rating is 4.4cP in Redline's 5W40, which is significantly higher than any LL04 oil that I've been able to find - which is not surprising. If you actually read several of the posts here you would already know this - and why the HTHS increase is so important in my application. But words are hard - I know edyvw, and a lot of extra work to go through and comprehend... when your goal was just to be an annoyance instead of a contributor. Again - just move on, you have nothing to contribute - unless you can pull a LL04 spec oil out of your collective backsides with a HTHS greater than 4.4, that costs less than $12 a quart... but, you can't.

Where did I hear this?
I have no doubts that now that you have Redline 5W40 in your one of a kind, super-duper, uber BMW 335d, you will be fastest driver in the Lower Alabama.

Congrats on finding a "better" oil.

And for the record. You're asking a question for which we don't have an answer to. You're just looking for us to confirm your belief that LL-04 "isn't good enough for my cool tuned up engine."

Judging by the length of your posts, your the troll with too much time on your hands.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Congrats on finding a "better" oil.

And for the record. You're asking a question for which we don't have an answer to. You're just looking for us to confirm your belief that LL-04 "isn't good enough for my cool tuned up engine."

Judging by the length of your posts, your the troll with too much time on your hands.

It's you're, not your, smart guy.

Where did I hear this?
I have no doubts that now that you have Redline 5W40 in your one of a kind, super-duper, uber BMW 335d, you will be fastest driver in the Lower Alabama.

Pathetic, weak and sad as always edyvw.

Nope, I'm still in Afghanistan, I just woke up and about to get at it. My BMW is still in storage with the OEM LL04 oil from my last oil change still in the engine. I'll be far from the fastest driver in LA or anywhere for that matter - and that was never been my goal in the first place (what a petty asinine comment). The car is fast, definitely a lot faster than stock - and it gets better fuel economy, when I'm not driving like a wannabe street punk, perhaps like you.

As for the length of my posts - definitely a struggle for a mentally challenged, Twitter cripple millennial for sure. Which is the prime reason you and your trolling buddies had such a hard time keeping up with the conversation. I can see the cries of "too many words!" echoed throughout your posts. It was an adult conversation edyvw - you should have left a long time ago.

One last point before you go away edyvw (you should really just leave) - I started this post, you're a guest in it, so to suggest that by virtue of the fact some of my posts are long that I'm trolling my own post is some of the worst toddler logic I've heard. Take your sad ego and the playground bully mentality that surrounds it elsewhere please.

Ignore actual valid points made by edy and I, and instead resort to insults and virtue signaling. Who's the mentally crippled one here? There was no conversation to keep up with in the first place, just constant insistince that you somehow need special oil... ok fine... but how can you objectively determine if an oil is "better" without scientific, repeatable tests? Please enlighten ALL of us on bitog because we would like to know.

Where did I hear this?

Nope, I'm still in Afghanistan, I just woke up and about to get at it. My BMW is still in storage with the OEM LL04 oil from my last oil change still in the engine. I'll be far from the fastest driver in LA or anywhere for that matter - and that was never been my goal in the first place (what a petty asinine comment). The car is fast, definitely a lot faster than stock - and it gets better fuel economy, when I'm not driving like a wannabe street punk, perhaps like you.

Here's the deal.

#1 You nee to worry about the transmission.
#2 The BMW M550d X-Drive cranks out 400 horsepower and 560 lb-ft of torque. Although the diesel engine is the newer block (N57) it uses LL04.

Posters attempted to provide you context with regards to the various engine types which use LL04 and the history behind the LL04 spec because you clearly did not have any objective information which supports your decision to dismiss it out of hand. Any suggestion outside the BMW spec is just a guess. Your decision to use "X" is just a guess based on faith. Nothing more nothing less. You might as well flip a coin. The result is just a valid.

Did you know that all the new M-models, in Europe, also use LL04?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Where did I hear this?

Here's the deal.

#1 You nee to worry about the transmission.
#2 The BMW M550d X-Drive cranks out 400 horsepower and 560 lb-ft of torque. Although the diesel engine is the newer block (N57) it uses LL04.

Posters attempted to provide you context with regards to the various engine types which use LL04 and the history behind the LL04 spec because you clearly did not have any objective information which supports your decision to dismiss it out of hand. Any suggestion outside the BMW spec is just a guess. Your decision to use "X" is just a guess based on faith. Nothing more nothing less. You might as well flip a coin. The result is just a valid.

Did you know that all the new M-models, in Europe, also use LL04?

Correlating M models and LL-04 might be too complicated for him. Especially if I might add the fact that diesel dissipates heat much better then gasoline engine, and still M gassers use LL-04.
Now that you mentioned transmission he MUST use Redline ATF and not ZF6, otherwise it will explode.

One last point before you go away edyvw (you should really just leave) - I started this post, you're a guest in it, so to suggest that by virtue of the fact some of my posts are long that I'm trolling my own post is some of the worst toddler logic I've heard. Take your sad ego and the playground bully mentality that surrounds it elsewhere please.

You are guest at this forum. When you open the thread, it is available for all members. Otherwise, you can opt to communicate with certain members who will node to your "thinking."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back