Oil recommendations: 335d - DPF, EGR, SCR, Urea delete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by CleverUserName
Slipstream, I suggest you just move on to more important pursuits and ignore any future post notifications on this thread.

You have enough information from us to make an informed decision about which oil to use. Some members of the "Low-saps crowd" have devolved the discussion into an antagonistic debate. I've seen this happen before. Even if you did have UOAs proving the wear numbers with RL 5w40 were lower than LL04 they would still be dismissive of the results.

If you want another informed opinion on HTHS and oil selection for your application you can contact Mr. Lake Speed Jr. He works for Driven racing oils support. He has been helpful in the past with my questions.

[email protected]

Same members told him to use LL01 oils not only LL04. He is stuck on HTHS of 4.4 from Redline. I mean as far as all of us are concern he can use extra virgin olive oil from Costco in that engine, it is his money.
However, what he wants is wide approval of his decision.
Or inseatd of e-mailing that guy, he can check how taxis in Europe run on C3 oils, or cars on autobahn since C3 oils are today in wider use there then A3/B3 B4.

Wow. I was never looking for your approval - inputs yes, but approval? You made your point that you believe LL04 oil is a good spec. I got that, and I never argued against that point, only that the spec was no longer needed (emissions deletion), and there were no oils that net that spec that had a sufficiently high HTHS number for my application. I clearly explained my reasoning, even though more than one person wanted to convince me otherwise because there are other cars (with more advanced engines of completely different design) that had similar output and ran LL04. Then I had to break down how those engines were engineered to run a lower viscosity oil and produce higher output levels, and that the older and less developed M57 in my car was not engineered to do the same. JAG provided the math to clearly explain the basis behind the need for an inceased HTHS in a higher output engine with no modifications to the oil system.

I was than happy to have a discussion to work through
my questions. I don't just throw a question grenade and hope people will do all the thinking and legwork for me. I keep looking for potential answers, and I follow every suggestion up with critical analysis and intellectual skepticism to ensure the potential solution is valid or applicable. That requires attribution.

In case you didn't notice - I followed up every suggestion with investigative thought and sifted through the unsupported positions and discarded the garbage. There were plenty of lazy, unsupported answer bombs thrown my way - sticky answer bombs thrown that were covered in sarcasm and filled with fallacies. I have no problem dissecting that stuff either. It was the originators of those unsupported submissions that had issue with the scrutiny. If the only thing you can follow up intellectual scrutiny with is ad hominem attacks and snide remarks - you have committed the lowest form of intellectual submission and have proven your position to be automatically wrong. But that's what the youngest generation has been taught to do by the hyper-left educators that have infected our learning institutions - and it's pathetic. Fact is fact, and if you can't support a position with at least a valid one - then it's just conjecture. Trying to support your position based in conjecture with nothing but fallacies and defaulting to ad hominem attacks when that position is dissected and found invalid is just intellectual laziness and both personal and intellectual immaturity. The only people who were looking for wide acceptance were the ones described above. People raised to believe they are never wrong and who throw a tantrum any time they are faced with scrutiny.

I have my preliminary answer in hand, thanks to some very thoughtful contributions. I greatly appreciate the help. I'm also happy to sit and debate if that's what you came here for. Just don't expect me to fold when you try to attack my position with fallacies and me with ad hominems. That just gets me warmed up.

Originally Posted by slipstream444
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by CleverUserName
Slipstream, I suggest you just move on to more important pursuits and ignore any future post notifications on this thread.

You have enough information from us to make an informed decision about which oil to use. Some members of the "Low-saps crowd" have devolved the discussion into an antagonistic debate. I've seen this happen before. Even if you did have UOAs proving the wear numbers with RL 5w40 were lower than LL04 they would still be dismissive of the results.

If you want another informed opinion on HTHS and oil selection for your application you can contact Mr. Lake Speed Jr. He works for Driven racing oils support. He has been helpful in the past with my questions.

[email protected]

Same members told him to use LL01 oils not only LL04. He is stuck on HTHS of 4.4 from Redline. I mean as far as all of us are concern he can use extra virgin olive oil from Costco in that engine, it is his money.
However, what he wants is wide approval of his decision.
Or inseatd of e-mailing that guy, he can check how taxis in Europe run on C3 oils, or cars on autobahn since C3 oils are today in wider use there then A3/B3 B4.

Wow. I was never looking for your approval - inputs yes, but approval? You made your point that you believe LL04 oil is a good spec. I got that, and I never argued against that point, only that the spec was no longer needed (emissions deletion), and there were no oils that net that spec that had a sufficiently high HTHS number for my application. I clearly explained my reasoning, even though more than one person wanted to convince me otherwise because there are other cars (with more advanced engines of completely different design) that had similar output and ran LL04. Then I had to break down how those engines were engineered to run a lower viscosity oil and produce higher output levels, and that the older and less developed M57 in my car was not engineered to do the same. JAG provided the math to clearly explain the basis behind the need for an inceased HTHS in a higher output engine with no modifications to the oil system.

I was than happy to have a discussion to work through
my questions. I don't just throw a question grenade and hope people will do all the thinking and legwork for me. I keep looking for potential answers, and I follow every suggestion up with critical analysis and intellectual skepticism to ensure the potential solution is valid or applicable. That requires attribution.

In case you didn't notice - I followed up every suggestion with investigative thought and sifted through the unsupported positions and discarded the garbage. There were plenty of lazy, unsupported answer bombs thrown my way - sticky answer bombs thrown that were covered in sarcasm and filled with fallacies. I have no problem dissecting that stuff either. It was the originators of those unsupported submissions that had issue with the scrutiny. If the only thing you can follow up intellectual scrutiny with is ad hominem attacks and snide remarks - you have committed the lowest form of intellectual submission and have proven your position to be automatically wrong. But that's what the youngest generation has been taught to do by the hyper-left educators that have infected our learning institutions - and it's pathetic. Fact is fact, and if you can't support a position with at least a valid one - then it's just conjecture. Trying to support your position based in conjecture with nothing but fallacies and defaulting to ad hominem attacks when that position is dissected and found invalid is just intellectual laziness and both personal and intellectual immaturity. The only people who were looking for wide acceptance were the ones described above. People raised to believe they are never wrong and who throw a tantrum any time they are faced with scrutiny.

I have my preliminary answer in hand, thanks to some very thoughtful contributions. I greatly appreciate the help. I'm also happy to sit and debate if that's what you came here for. Just don't expect me to fold when you try to attack my position with fallacies and me with ad hominems. That just gets me warmed up.

So, if you have your answer in hand, why you coming back? You were absent for 7 years. You do need approval from members. I told you immediately to use Castrol 0W40, which is not LL04, but you are stuck on higher HTHS. I told you to check Ravenol which has HTHS 3.9, but you are again, stuck on higher HTHS.
Now, that makes me think, why don't you run Castrol 10W60? I mean if it is good for various M models or some older Ferraris, it might, but just might, be good for your BMW.
Again, I am still waiting answer about why that HTHS is necessary in your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back