Oil Recommendation 2017 Mazda CX-9 2.5T Skyactiv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Might be Castrol Edge black bottle A3-B4 that I was thinking of. Not sure why my brain thought Pennzoil. Old age here.

Mazda's warranty requirements are not met by using the Pennz Plat Euro 5w30 SL oil (its not SN).
Also, the Castrol Edge 0w40 (it is SN) doesn't meet the correct viscosity grade, so its out, for warranty coverage.

If you don't care about warranty coverage in a new 2017 like this, you could use about anything and the engine will be fine.

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/f..._Euro_5W-30.pdf

I was thinking of this oil.

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/6E381DAAE02AB64780257D540060FBE8/$File/BPXE-9P9HK3.pdf

I use any 5w30 conventional oil in our 2012 sky active. No "T" of course.
Right now have Sam's Club "Certified" branded 5/30,no kidding.
It's rated SN just like any other and made by Warren.
Purolator oil filter.

Good luck with the car, Skyactive is an amazing engine.
For those who don't know, it's the highest compression mass produced engine in the world and runs on regular gas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Might be Castrol Edge black bottle A3-B4 that I was thinking of. Not sure why my brain thought Pennzoil. Old age here.

Mazda's warranty requirements are not met by using the Pennz Plat Euro 5w30 SL oil (its not SN).
Also, the Castrol Edge 0w40 (it is SN) doesn't meet the correct viscosity grade, so its out, for warranty coverage.

If you don't care about warranty coverage in a new 2017 like this, you could use about anything and the engine will be fine.

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/f..._Euro_5W-30.pdf

I guess it would be reckless of me to not car about the warranty. Turbo SkyActiv is new to Mazda. In addition to the 60k warranty from Mazda, the dealership is also providing an extended drivetrain warranty that covers 60-100k.

So far it looks like the easy choices would be Edge, Magnatech, PP or PUP all in the 5w30 viscosity.

Castrol pays Mazda to push their oil so it's not a mandatory use in warranty or else deal.

How about Pennzoil Euro Platinum 5w-30? Would this not be a good choice for the OP in his turbo GDI SkyActiv?

Congrats on the new Mazda. I am seriously looking at the CX-5.

Thanks.. CX-5 was just redesigned copying many of the styling cues from the CX-9. Also the 2.2 diesel will be an option this fall.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
I use any 5w30 conventional oil in our 2012 sky active. No "T" of course.
Right now have Sam's Club "Certified" branded 5/30,no kidding.
It's rated SN just like any other and made by Warren.
Purolator oil filter.

Good luck with the car, Skyactive is an amazing engine.
For those who don't know, it's the highest compression mass produced engine in the world and runs on regular gas.

Mazda will soon push those compression numbers even higher. Skyactiv-X.

Last edited:
Yes the new 2017 design caught our eyes right away and the interior is a winner. The new HCCI engine has up to 18:1 compression from what I have read so far. As far as a diesel goes, I don't know if they will sell well in the US. Other countries, yes.

Mazda is also planning a new crossover model to be built in the US. it will be in between the CX-5 and the 9.

Yes the new 2017 design caught our eyes right away and the interior is a winner. The new HCCI engine has up to 18:1 compression from what I have read so far. As far as a diesel goes, I don't know if they will sell well in the US. Other countries, yes.

Mazda is also planning a new crossover model to be built in the US. it will be in between the CX-5 and the 9.

From what I've read the diesel will also get 310lb-ft torque so the 2.5T might never make it to the CX-5.

I guess a resurrected CX-7 built in the US? CX-8 was announced for Japan only.

The problem isn't selling well in the US the problem is the US car lobby and the EPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back