'24 Mazda CX-90 Oil & Filter Specs

We have some interest in buying a new '24 CX-90 Turbo S (currently work for Mazda and own a '21 CX-9 Signature) and like any good BITOG member, I have of course started researching what oil/filters it takes, haha. For those unfamiliar, this is the replacement to the venerable CX-9 and is a brand new platform that is rear drive based with AWD standard. It also comes with a new 3.3L inline six with a single turbo along with a "mild hybrid" 48v battery (the 48v is used for accessories and that 1-3mph initial assist). IMO, the 48v just adds weight and complexity so I "wish" it didn't have that part, but oh well. The inline six comes in two flavors: "Turbo" which is rated at 280hp on 87 octane and "Turbo S" which is rated at 340hp on 93 octane and about 20 less on 87. It is designed/marketed to split the difference between the highline stuff like an X5, GLE, XC90, etc and the mainstream competitors like a Telluride, (Grand) Highlander, etc.

Being a new engine with a new in-house transmission (8 speed auto with a wet clutch) I was expecting a unique oil spec and filter recommendation but was surprised to find the USA/Canada recommendation of API approved 0W20 (5W30 for Mexico and other markets....draw the obvious conclusion) and the standard Part #PY8W-14-302 oil filter that is the same filter used in every other 2.5T Skyactiv engine that has been around since 2016. Well, the oil rec doesn't really surprise me I guess but the reuse of that filter does on a much larger/much different engine.

Thoughts?

Not surprising really. I am sure the filter size is tested
and ok.

PY8W-14-302 has been superseded by 1WPY-14-302, at least in the US market.

I would personally be hesitant to buy a truly new vehicle like that without it being on the market for at least a couple of years.

Filters that have the capacity to accept the flow rate of the oil pump, with filtering material that is appropriately catching the particles that may be expected to need to be trapped, are "big enough". Doesn't matter if the engine is a 2.5 L 4-cylinder or a 3.3 L 6 cylinder. I wouldn't hesitate to use 0w30 or 5w30 in it, if the 30 weight had all the approvals other than those only available in the 20 weight oils.

What sort of prices are you seeing on the cx-90 I could get 800 under msrp here.. but I dont work at a dealer 😆.

I am interested but its a little big esp. for my garage.. so much more interested on the now delayed cx-70.

What sort of prices are you seeing on the cx-90 I could get 800 under msrp here.. but I dont work at a dealer 😆.

I am interested but its a little big esp. for my garage.. so much more interested on the now delayed cx-70.

We are a "One Price One Person" no haggle dealership so keep that in mind. But, currently, as of today - all in stock CX-90s have a $1000 discount; only ones that are MSRP are "sold orders"......say a Turbo S Premium Plus or PHEV Premium Plus that is allocated but not built. However, if it doesn't get delivered the day it hits the lot, our software automatically applies the $1000 discount so go figure. The Preferred Plus volume model (lower to lower middle trim just under $48K) has a $2500 discount and some specific incentives from Mazda for the Special APR or Special Lease Cash. If you don't care about all of the bells/whistles and don't mind the somewhat dowdy looking wheels (my opinion alone, of course) this is the one to get for value.

Filters that have the capacity to accept the flow rate of the oil pump, with filtering material that is appropriately catching the particles that may be expected to need to be trapped, are "big enough". Doesn't matter if the engine is a 2.5 L 4-cylinder or a 3.3 L 6 cylinder. I wouldn't hesitate to use 0w30 or 5w30 in it, if the 30 weight had all the approvals other than those only available in the 20 weight oils.

Mazda oil spec approvals seems fairly lax - API only. I will say that our dealership, like every other I'm familiar with, uses bulk synthetic oil that isn't mean for super long OCIs. The manual recommends 5K OCIs for severe use (city, hot, dusty driving) and only up to 6 months or 7500 miles for the longer OCI.

Mazda oil spec approvals seems fairly lax - API only. I will say that our dealership, like every other I'm familiar with, uses bulk synthetic oil that isn't mean for super long OCIs. The manual recommends 5K OCIs for severe use (city, hot, dusty driving) and only up to 6 months or 7500 miles for the longer OCI.

API is standard and nothing wrong with that. Mazda engines tend to be easy on oil and I suspect that the new engine will be the same. I think you are fine using the latest API spec.

More and more turbo engines are using 0W-20. I don’t think I would worry about it. As for the filter thru are getting smaller as automakers realize they don’t need big filters like they did in the past.

I would go with a 5000 mile OCI.

API is standard and nothing wrong with that. Mazda engines tend to be easy on oil and I suspect that the new engine will be the same. I think you are fine using the latest API spec.

More and more turbo engines are using 0W-20. I don’t think I would worry about it. As for the filter thru are getting smaller as automakers realize they don’t need big filters like they did in the past.

Good info. Our CX-9 has the Mazda pre-paid maintenance package so its had 5k OCIs and OEM filters for the past 2 years.

I had planned to switch the CX-9 to HPL this week but if we decide to trade the 9 for a 90 anytime within a year I’ll just use the remainder of the pre-paid OCIs and keep the HPL in the closet and switch the new car to it. I have a feeling I’m not alone here having a stock of oil hanging around waiting for a sump to go into. 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_2781.jpeg
    IMG_2781.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 66
If you trade the 9 for the 90, go ahead and put the superior oil in.

Off-topic, but since you work for Mazda, can you pass along the need for a dealership north of Nashville? Say, the growing Gallatin area. The closest Mazda dealer is 38 miles from me.

Subaru built a dealership there a couple of years ago and now there's Subaru's all over the road.

If you trade the 9 for the 90, go ahead and put the superior oil in.

Off-topic, but since you work for Mazda, can you pass along the need for a dealership north of Nashville? Say, the growing Gallatin area. The closest Mazda dealer is 38 miles from me.

Subaru built a dealership there a couple of years ago and now there's Subaru's all over the road.

It does seem there’s a gap between N Nashville and Clarksville!

I don't think you even need to use the latest API specs on these Mazda engines. My new CX-30 2023 owners manual says it's okay to use SM, SN, or SP (for Mexico).

Pretty minimal summary aside from the usual “0w20 is required for optimal fuel efficiency”

Attachments

• IMG_2858.jpg
    IMG_2858.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2857.jpg
    IMG_2857.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 44

It is inline-six. Expect higher oxidation as cooling cyl. 5 & 6 is always an issue.

How is Mazda with a warranty if other oil is used?
Personally, I would go with Mobil1 ESP 5W30, Motul X-Clean EFE 0W30, or similar.
I can only speak for our dealer group, but as long as it's a synthetic oil, I don't see us having any issue. Way long OCIs (10k+) would raise more eyebrows with the dealer than a brand/grade. Manual specs 5k severe use (dusty, hot, stop and go, etc) and a max of 7500 miles for "normal".

I can only speak for our dealer group, but as long as it's a synthetic oil, I don't see us having any issue. Way long OCIs (10k+) would raise more eyebrows with the dealer than a brand/grade. Manual specs 5k severe use (dusty, hot, stop and go, etc) and a max of 7500 miles for "normal".
I would go these oils with Euro specs. They are more stringent than anything API.

Last time I test drove a Mazda CX5, I looked at the manual. Mazda still has the temperature grade scale for multiple viscosities. IIRC you can run anything from 0w-20 to 10w-40.

I’d probably run 0w-30 or 5w-30 in a CX-90.

Back