Looking for good quality 15,000 mile filter

A few more PSI of dP isn't going to bother a PD pump. Keep the RPM down on any engine until the oil warms up, regardless of what filter is used to minimize filter bypass action.
You buy one then - and post pictures

What's pictures have to do with dP vs flow? 😄
You don’t need them bcs you already know more than one test graph has shown that …
And you know better efficiency at a lower cost is not RP …

I have certainly used them - but something else seen in the bubble testing - was what I once thought was a better bypass - was passing bubbles. It might have been Wix - but regardless the plastic valves did better …

Has the Fram Ultra really changed?

They list the media as a synthetic blend, but it's outward appearance looks the same. Still the pink glass fibers. the XG9972 that my RX takes is still wire-backed as well. The date code showed the filter was months old.

Has the Fram Ultra really changed?

They list the media as a synthetic blend, but it's outward appearance looks the same. Still the pink glass fibers. the XG9972 that my RX takes is still wire-backed as well. The date code showed the filter was months old.
Some Ultras still seem to be made with wire-backed media. But lots of the models have indeed changed to a non-wire backed media. Been 100s of threads about it.

Some Ultras still seem to be made with wire-backed media. But lots of the models have indeed changed to a non-wire backed media. Been 100s of threads about it.
Wasn't the biggest draw of the ultras the Synthetic media that filters crazy high at 20 micron and even down to 5 micron?

If that's not changed and the filters don't tear I don't see the fuss about the wire backing.

Wasn't the biggest draw of the ultras the Synthetic media that filters crazy high at 20 micron and even down to 5 micron?

If that's not changed and the filters don't tear I don't see the fuss about the wire backing.
Fram says the new media is just as efficient, and has the same holding capacity as the old Ultra. Some people just don't like seeing "wavy" pleats from use.

I’m surprised Kia pushing extended drain intervals on a turbo. I’d be doing 5-6,000 mile tops or 6 month oci’s. If under warranty stick with oe if not almost any filter could take that walk.

Do you wan't to give Kia any excuse to void your warranty if the car develops an engine problem?
My daughter has anFord that is still under warranty. I use Fram Ultra filters on it. I keep a Motorcraft oil filter and a jar of the used oil from the car‘s last oil change. If the engine ever craps out, the first thing I will do before I have it towed to the Ford dealer is to fill that Motorcraft filter with the old but still good oil and swap it out. Excuse averted.

Do you wan't to give Kia any excuse to void your warranty if the car develops an engine problem?
Hyundai did not void my warranty when I had a Fram Ultra. I recieved a new motor. They did try to scare me with their bark, I said, the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act states I have the legal right to run any oil filter I want, as long it is a major filter manufacture with the part # designed for my car. Nothing more was said after I barked back.

Hyundai did not void my warranty when I had a Fram Ultra. I recieved a new motor. They did try to scare me with their bark, I said, the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act states I have the legal right to run any oil filter I want, as long it is a major filter manufacture with the part # designed for my car. Nothing more was said after I barked back.
They could have technically voided the warranty on the engine damage (and most likely wiould have) if they can prove that the aftermarket part was the actual cause. I take it your engine problem was not caused by the Fram oil filter.

They could have technically voided the warranty on the engine damage (and most likely wiould have) if they can prove that the aftermarket part was the actual cause. I take it your engine problem was not caused by the Fram oil filter.
Of course not, it IS a Hyundai. 99% of their problem is their engineering and not testing their engineering for robustness. Oh and of course their metallurgy choices are in question too. When has a name brand filter EVER been a problem. Never???
Hyundai likes getting you on sludge, cut and dry win for them. Judge will give into that every time, if anyone pushes court. No one does though I bet, again cut and dry win for Hyundai.

I’m going to get some hate for this but……any filter will work for 15k miles, some filtering better than others. But on a newer car 2012+ shouldn’t be an issue. You and your engine will never know the difference.

Daughters 20 KIA Soul with the 1.6 Turbo gets 5K oil changes with FRAM Ultra XG9688 filters, no way I would go any more than that with that little turbo, daughter drives like she's qualifying for the INDY 500. :D

I’m going to get some hate for this but……any filter will work for 15k miles, some filtering better than others. But on a newer car 2012+ shouldn’t be an issue. You and your engine will never know the difference.
Extended mileage filters were invented for a reason & it wasn't because standard filters can go 15,000 miles.

You have a car with an engine known to fail prematurely under warranty, in this case, the wise decision is to give Kia the least amount of wiggle room legally to try to weasel their way out of this.

Another way of framing this discussion is the choice of oil filter for most engines is a choice based on the question "what filter and change interval will enable my engine to have as long a life as possible?" In this situation, the better question is " what filter and change interval will enable an indisputable warranty claim that the manufacturer MUST honor?"

Using an oil filter for more than one change creates a possibility for rejection. Using aftermarket filters (while superior in every possible way to Kia/Hyundai filters) can also give them wiggle room. While under warranty, I would follow the one change per filter and use their filter to eliminate as much legal wiggle room as possible. After the warranty is up, do what you want.

Last edited:
Back