Oil discussion at the service counter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ended up purchasing WearEver Gold Ceramics from Advance Auto Parts. Main reason I chose them is the lifetime warranty and price point($46). I was surprise to see the fronts are manufactured in Mexico and rears were manufactured in USA. I am glad they weren't made in China or Taiwan.

Rear:

Front:

Both front and rear:

With flash:

I'd agree with that statement. I think the only real reason it ran that long was previous owner probably keeping enough oil pressure to maintain just above catastrophic failure. That combined with no sensors to speak of that would alert the owner to the fact that the engine was in its final death throes. It's quite impressive that Ford was soldiering on as it did and speaks to a bit of inertia and a sprinkle of championship engineering however this issue still applies to new cars out there today. Newer vehicles would merely advise you at a much earlier time that something mechanical was not right but would likely still "run". I too wonder how many vehicles out there appear to run "fine" but in reality if were torn down revealed some interesting findings.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I'm not too sure about all this "nobody has any trouble" philosophy. We bought an '81 F150 (4.9 six) that had been a work truck for about 20 years, then used by an old retired man to tow his horse trailer for about five years after that.

It seemed to run fine aside from getting about 9mpg. Long story short, when we finally tore down the engine, it had broken rings on one cylinder (all three rings), and various other problems including horrendous sludge. It seemed impossible that it could even start, much less run as well it did.

A rebuild and manual cleanup of sludge later, the old truck has about three times as much power and gets a whopping 13.5mpg, which is good for a carbed 4.9.

I wonder how many other people are driving cars that "seem" fine but are actually only running through some kind of miracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back