Subraru CVT fluid fill procedure

Just wanted to put my two cents in on the topic of Subaru CVT fluids. Don't know yet what type of fluid the locale guy used to do the trany flush but I just recently had to pony up 9K for a new trans Assbly at the Dealer. The tech said as he did his inspection he found no fluid in the front Diff and multiple plugs on the trany with markings on them. I've seen the underside and it can be real easy to confuse which plug is which. Make sure the garage KNOWS what they are doin before you let them anywhere around your Transmission.

I will say when I recently wanted to top off the front diff of an SJ Forester I was a bit confused. It was the first time I'd done so on a Subaru, but fortunately took the time to research and figure it out.

They're good about labeling all the plugs, but you still have to kinda know what you're looking at.

In hindsight, you've just gotta view it more like a 4x4 truck than a "transaxle" car

Just wanted to put my two cents in on the topic of Subaru CVT fluids. Don't know yet what type of fluid the locale guy used to do the trany flush but I just recently had to pony up 9K for a new trans Assbly at the Dealer. The tech said as he did his inspection he found no fluid in the front Diff and multiple plugs on the trany with markings on them. I've seen the underside and it can be real easy to confuse which plug is which. Make sure the garage KNOWS what they are doin before you let them anywhere around your Transmission.
Also, how long did you seemingly drive with no fluid in the front diff and what was the eventual failure?? Was there fluid in the CVT?

I never understand why techs don't research!! - they have ProDemand, AllData etc to guide them. I always review the service info on ANYTHING I touch because a lot of times there are precautions, special tools or procedures you need to follow to do the job right.

I’ve read far too many stories of Subaru owners draining the trans fluid thinking it’s the engine oil plug.

Maybe Subaru needs to color code their plugs for the non-research type.

Would it even move at all with no fluid?
It should move with no front diff fluid because that's gear oil. The CVT is separate.

OP said he found his front diff empty and seemed to indicate the fluid in the tx was unknown

Why did you "pony up" one red cent??

I’ve read far too many stories of Subaru owners draining the trans fluid thinking it’s the engine oil plug.

Maybe Subaru needs to color code their plugs for the non-research type.
Why? It’s worked fine for them for decades. It’s not Subaru’s fault that owners or mechanics don’t RTM and look at the pictures. Subaru OMs are actually quite good with clear descriptions and pictures.

Back