Obesity, is it the new normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 6'7" and my weight fluctuates quite a bit, between 240-280. I'm around 260 at the moment. I've had my body fat tested and my ideal weight is around 240; my lean mass or whatever they called it is in the low 220s.

I had been down in the lower 250s in the fall but the holidays were not good for my waistline. My weight tends to depend on two factors just like most people: how much and what I eat, and how much I exercise. I'm such a habitual eater, but if I just don't bring much food home from the store, that seems to work out much better for me. Plus just staying out of the kitchen. Out of sight, out of mind.

Last two Saturdays rode 186 miles and 140 miles on my bicycle, in addition to the workouts during the week, felt pretty great except for when I scaled an 18% grade for approximately 1/2 mile towards the end of the 140 miles, that felt awful, but anyway. No pain, no gain.

My wife and I are doing a sugar fast right now for 30 days and I feel great. The people at work definitely don't help me stick to it though. Just have to walk away sometimes, like for example from the monthly departmental birthday celebration. They had like 3 Marie Calendar's pies for a department of 30 people. I said happy birthday to the folks with birthdays and walked back to my desk.

Speaking of work, it's really amazing to me how much food people have at their desks and in their cubes at work. That really does not help the situation for not just me but many other people as well.

Well, I'd like to think 50 is young.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: javacontour
I guess I have to ask why they slow?

Is it because they don't exercise as much, or even at all?

I suspect there is some slowing of the basal metabolic rate as your body produces less testosterone. But how much is simply because one rides the sofa and eats Cheetos?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Peoples' metabolisms slow as they age, and I'll bet there is some change in bmi as muscle degrades and is tougher to replace. But none of that is any excuse.

Even if you eat all quality, unprocessed, good foods, one can still eat too much or move too little.

It slows for everyone. Regardless of work or weight control, basal metabolic rate slows.

I'm guessing that you're too young to have any first hand knowledge....

Staying in shape these days takes time and money. A lot of us work fairly sedentary jobs since the factory jobs went overseas. Those jobs don't pay that well, so folks need two or more to pay the bills. That takes time away from working out. Add in the subsidies to corn (HFCS and myriad other products) that benefit the major agricultural and food companies. There's the money going to subsidise the cheap processed food instead of healthy food. And, larger people have more health issues, so it's more money to be made there. Bypass surgery and bariatric surgeries are expensive. If the doc recommends a gym membership, that's money. And, don't forget the wardrobe changes that accompany any significant weight change. That's $$$.

We've basically structured our economy around making people fat, and making truckloads of money off them in the process.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Pretty sure if you don't eat for a few days and drink only water you'll lose some weight.

What you will lose is mostly water followed by muscle mass. You will not really lose fat quickly, because your body actually needs energy to burn energy. if you deprive your body of nourishment, it's easier for the body to use up the glycogen stored in the liver, then from muscles and then to cannibalize muscle mass than to metabolize the stored fat. The body also tries to keep its fat storage for emergencies. That's what's our body fat really is, emergency rations. We have inherited this mechanism from our ancestral humanzees. When you deprieve your body of nourishment, this emergency energy saving mode kicks in.

Instead you should increase your metabolism while giving your body the energy it needs to operate. You just need to cut down more or less on carbs and fat. If you incrase your muscle mass, you also will burn more calories.

A sensible decrease in food intake combined with an increase in power output is usually sufficient to trim down not over night, but in and for the long run. Walking an hour a day before breakfast is a great way to get your metabolism going. Drink a lot of water, your body is mostly composed of water. Want to flush your body? Drink stinging nettle tea, it's an effective and safe natural diuretic.

hotwheels

Try a juice fast. I bought a masticating juicer at Christmas. I'm also very active since my job is physically demanding.
Since buying this juicer and drinking freshly made juices twice a day and eating a bit of protein with the juice I've lost 20+ pounds,feel better than I ever have in my life,more energetic and I'm getting more done at work.
I find no hunger pang between meals when I eat supper I find I have to force myself because I'm really not hungry.

My personal story on how I got obese. Thru age 25 I was always 175-180, then one winter I hit the weights hard. I got into squats and would do o much I almost passed out or threw up a few times, this was in wintertime. Then, my appetite went nuts. I was eating a box of cereal on top of a normal everyday diet. I remember laughing at weighing 200lbs when I got on the scales, thinking never been past 200 before.

Got up to. 235 that year, then in 2010 I starved on a single small meal a day for 3-4 months and lost back down to 175. Then got really lean a couple years later, then had a month long craving for a package of ice cream a day and got up to 280, now about 240-250.

I think obesity, as a whole comes down to eating quick and easy, tasty foods. Eating healthy can be done, but it takes money and imagination, and maybe location. California has good food and a generally healthy population.

If you are tired of being fat all you can do is deny your cravings and hungry appetite. As for me, exercise was the main contributing factor to my obesity. It even hindered my weight loss plan, as it made me hungrier. I think exercise is like 5-10% and diet the rest 90-95%.

Its tough battling hunger pains.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

This isn't rocket science people. We are far more overworked than we even have been before. As a result our health and relationships with one another are paying the ultimate price.

That's the biggest bunch of nonsense bantered around in this thread so far. This generation works far less than the last few generations and it's one of the reasons why this generation is so morbidly obese. Past generations didn't have time to sit in front of a television, didn't have access to easy transportation and had to walk a lot more than current generations. Farmers worked 7 days a week, and almost everyone had gardens that required daily tending. Factory workers often worked 60+ hours/week, and kids as young as 10 were often working in factories.

Stress was just as high-a factory worker had no seniority and could be hired/fired at the whim, work was hot, dirty and dangerous with little regard to safety. Stress was just as high then as it is now-imagine coming from another country, leaving your entire family behind, in order to try to establish yourself in a new country where you don't even know the language.

It's hilarious for anyone to think that this generation is "far more overworked than ever before".

Congrats Pop Rivit, it sounds to me like you have it all figured out.

I suspect there is some slowing of the basal metabolic rate as your body produces less testosterone. But how much is simply because one rides the sofa and eats Cheetos?

Peoples' metabolisms slow as they age, and I'll bet there is some change in bmi as muscle degrades and is tougher to replace. But none of that is any excuse.

Even if you eat all quality, unprocessed, good foods, one can still eat too much or move too little.

You take your measurements? I thoughht you were trying to get a date " well, im six two weigh 190lbs have 19" calves have long blond hair and enjoy long walks on the beach. Put the ruler down my friend.

The metabolism does not slow down with age pers se. It's just that the older you get the more you lose muscle mass and thus your metabolic rate decreases. The obvious thing is to build muscle mass. With increasing muscle mass the metabolic rate will be driven up also. No pain no gain.

By the way, one pound of lean muscle at rest burns somewhere between 15 and 35 calories per day, depending on who you ask. While it doesn't sound like much, it does add up.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

If you are tired of being fat all you can do is deny your cravings and hungry appetite. As for me, exercise was the main contributing factor to my obesity. It even hindered my weight loss plan, as it made me hungrier. I think exercise is like 5-10% and diet the rest 90-95%.

Its tough battling hunger pains.

I'd agree with this. You can hit the gym for hours a day and be active on top of that, but if you're eating junk food you'll still gain. Salt and sugar are evil and in everything processed.

I work in a grocery store.

I can tell you the new social norm is to definitely be obese. Pepsi, Coke etc. are in every day to restock the shelves. Nearly all the baked goods in the bakery are sold at full price and it seems boxed/ frozen meals are becoming more and more popular. Most food stamp users are among the worse of the quicky unhealthy meal type. All paid for by our tax dollars.

This is a little sexist, but if health is mentioned around some women at all, they seem to get offended and blame their busy lives. That is only an excuse to be okay with an issue. I know plenty of women with kids who still religiously work out and have the body of an early 20 year old.

I am so glad to be dating a girl who I can share like health/ exercising interests with. Other members in her family.. not so much unfortunately. They all have excuses too, but sure like that daily dose of late night ice cream.

*And no I am not perfect. I love beer, pizza etc. I just limit myself to the junk that I eat. I am short and stocky. 5'7", 175 lbs but still wear 32" jeans like I did in middle school.

Last edited:
No, it's oilBabe that takes my measurements
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

You take your measurements? I thoughht you were trying to get a date " well, im six two weigh 190lbs have 19" calves have long blond hair and enjoy long walks on the beach. Put the ruler down my friend.

I think that is part of it. However, I believe your body does produce less testosterone as you age, making it more difficult to have the drive and energy to do resistance training. Especially if you've not been doing it prior.

The bottom line is there is no one factor, but a combination of factors.

--Diet
--Exercise
--Genetics
--Health/Injuries
They all play a role.

You may have to get creative. I can't lift what I once lifted as I have arthritis in my shoulder. But I can still lift lower weights, more repetitions. I can do more cardio and work on other muscle groups. I can occassion do a bootcamp or crossfit workout, but not 3x/week.

That's part of the aging process.

But for me anyway, the biggest factor is what and how much I put in my mouth. If my diet consists of items from the perimeter of the market (not counting the bakery) such as fruits, veggies, lean meats and dairy, I do much better than when I'm eating the processed foods in the center of the store.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels

The metabolism does not slow down with age pers se. It's just that the older you get the more you lose muscle mass and thus your metabolic rate decreases. The obvious thing is to build muscle mass. With increasing muscle mass the metabolic rate will be driven up also. No pain no gain.

By the way, one pound of lean muscle at rest burns somewhere between 15 and 35 calories per day, depending on who you ask. While it doesn't sound like much, it does add up.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
*And no I am not perfect. I love beer, pizza etc. I just limit myself to the junk that I eat. I am short and stocky. 5'7", 175 lbs but still wear 32" jeans like I did in middle school.

175 lbs for 5'7" is a little heavy, if you can lose about 20-25 lbs will be perfect.

I'm 5'7" too but only 120-125 lbs, I need to gain 15-20 lbs but I couldn't even I tried very hard. I still wear 30" jean as I did 30-40 years ago. I have some jackets and pants I bought about 30-40 years ago and they fit me perfectly today.

My problem is gaining some weight and keep it, when I was on vacation for 2-3 weeks at a time I could gain 5-6 lbs, but lost it all in 4-5 weeks after the vacation.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
My problem is gaining some weight and keep it, when I was on vacation for 2-3 weeks at a time I could gain 5-6 lbs, but lost it all in 4-5 weeks after the vacation.

Try potatoes, but not the fried kind: mashed (not instant), boiled, baked. Poatatoes are one of the best foods for gaining weight. You may want to also do some weight training and see if it helps you pack on some lean pounds. If you decide to weight-train, you may need to eat more protein to help you build muscle mass.

hotwheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back