Obesity, is it the new normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, I am 6' 2" and weigh about 185 lbs. I have been this weight for years, from time to time I loose 5-6 lbs but it always seems to come back.

I consider myself to be at the high end of normal weight for my size. I'm relatively comfortable with that. But don't want to get heaver.

Looking around, I'm seeing more and more Obese people, not just overweight, but people carrying an extra 30, 50 or more pounds around.

OK, there always were BIG people, but out shopping today, it almost seemed to be almost normal to be obese.

I don't care, it's their life, their bodies, but I have to think of repercussions that may effect me!

Last summer we had a patio chair collapse when a very large person sat in/on it.
I felt bad as the host, But i did expect the guest to 'not assume' the seat would hold her.

She did comment "they make these things too small" I was lost for words.

Could I have been held liable?

Airline seats? I bet some of us have been in that situation.

As far as I know this issue has not been discussed here before. But it seems obesity is a fast growing trend in North America (and the UK)

Is it worthy of discussion?

Old news braw. Ever seen the show "Mike and Molly"? this just shows how much being "big" has become normal.

Cars, chairs, beds, heck even caskets are being made far larger than before.

It is deffinitely a growing problem!
But I moved from the UK to Australia a few years back. I wouldn't say it's that bad over there but it is still not exactly good. Australia is worse by a long way, fast food is everywhere and it's almost impossible to avoid.
I work in a supermarket and I always nosey at obease people's groceries to see what they buy. It is always huge multi packs of chocolate and potato chips, frozen fries and pizzas etc. I feel like pointing it out to them but I'd probably lose my job!

Mr. Obvious...

Read "The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire" then fast forward to America of the 21st Century. Our entitlement society is at the tipping point and I'm afraid past the point of no return. Goodnight America.

I always remember this line from Little Britain USA ; "In America, there's more fat people than people"
So funny
grin.gif

Last edited:
Yup-it's a big(!) problem. I could easily weigh a fair amount more, but always felt sluggish beyond a certain point. I just decided to not buy any larger size clothes=when they were too tight, time to drop some pounds. There's some self discipline involved tho.

I was in line at the grocery store and the heavy-set lady ahead of me was offended that the machine printed weight watcher coupons on the back of her receipt. She thought a computer was analyzing what she bought and trying to make subtle suggestions.

I'm 5'7" and almost always at around 120-125 lbs, rarely went up to 130 lbs for few weeks or months then back down to 125 lbs or a little lighter. I tried hard to gain some pounds but could not retain it. I think the ideal weight for 5'7" is around 135-140 lbs.

Originally Posted By: Burt
I was in line at the grocery store and the heavy-set lady ahead of me was offended that the machine printed weight watcher coupons on the back of her receipt. She thought a computer was analyzing what she bought and trying to make subtle suggestions.

Haha that's awesome!!
11.gif

You should try living in a city that a few yrs ago was voted one of the fattest cities in the USA. We have a plethora of walking refrigerators in this area. 6'2" 220 lbs here, but no more than about 12% body fat. Gym rat.

In this area there are lots of bridge testers. Its that fast food, greasy foods and snacks they shove down their pie hole endlessly.
Its disgusting, i hate my fat pig nephew, the kid has no self respect. Imagine having to put a friggin towel on your shirt so the steering wheel doesn't rub a hole in it.

This fat POS shovels a family size pizza and 3 liters of coke down his throat at one sitting almost every night for starters.
2 hrs later he is making a 48 pack of chicken nuggets for himself and gets all upset if someone ask for one.
They claim he has a gland problem. lol

Its a big problem down in the islands as well, refined sugar and pre packaged food is a killer.

A lot of my buddies are dentists and the worst thing you can drink is Mountain Dew, it literally dissolves your teeth.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
In this area there are lots of bridge testers. Its that fast food, greasy foods and snacks they shove down their pie hole endlessly.
Its disgusting, i hate my fat pig nephew, the kid has no self respect. Imagine having to put a friggin towel on your shirt so the steering wheel doesn't rub a hole in it.

This fat POS shovels a family size pizza and 3 liters of coke down his throat at one sitting almost every night for starters.
2 hrs later he is making a 48 pack of chicken nuggets for himself and gets all upset if someone ask for one.
They claim he has a gland problem. lol

Thats a little harsh. I hope he never sees this.

One thing that started me on this line of thought.
I was watching some old movie on Youtube filmed back in the 70's

In the street scenes I started looking at the people and the clothes they were wearing
crackmeup2.gif

Then I began to notice that not too many people were very overweight!

I'm guessing what has happened to our population has likely happened, for the most part, in the last 20 years.
That's kind of scary!

I have also looked at Google street view. I went to several countries in Europe, South America and North America looking at people.

It became immediately apparent that in the U.S. and (to a lesser degree) in Canada, it was Difficult to find people walking in the street.

I'm 5'10" and into my midlife years, I did gained a bit of weight (26lbs more or less), now weighing around 172lbs; my wifey (middle age as well) is 5'2" and weighs in no more than 104lbs.

I exercise regularly and maintain a fairly healthy diet. I play squash at least once a week, sometimes twice (depending on my partner's schedule).

I simply don't understand why whenever I go into a supercenter, I see folks that seemingly in relatively poor health tends to hover around around the frozen dinner section like kids at the candy store: buying stash upon stash of "banquet" brand TeeVee dinners (the cheepest they can find from the frozen section); and boadloads of pops and junk snacks; while none of these folks would even think about venturing into the fresh isle section for some fruits or veggies.

It's lifestyle (and their own personal choice BTW), combined with lack of exercise (regular commute comprised of 95%+ driving in automobiles); poor diet (processed foods, no fresh veggies, etc.), etc. that gradually kills them.

a few of my friends that are a few years older than me (except 1, whose super slim and fit) all suffered from health-related issues, that one way or another, excess weight wore out their knees and all required knee surgeries.

Q.

Originally Posted By: expat
One thing that started me on this line of thought.
I was watching some old movie on Youtube filmed back in the 70's

In the street scenes I started looking at the people and the clothes they were wearing
crackmeup2.gif

Then I began to notice that not too many people were very overweight!

I'm guessing what has happened to our population has likely happened, for the most part, in the last 20 years.
That's kind of scary!

I have also looked at Google street view. I went to several countries in Europe, South America and North America looking at people.

It became immediately apparent that in the U.S. and (to a lesser degree) in Canada, it was Difficult to find people walking in the street.

Growing up in the 70s,everyone was skinny and wore skin tight clothes!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back