Obesity, is it the new normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
I got curious about BMI and so I looked up what it said for me. Obese, ouch.

I came across this article, which serves as a bit of a counterpoint. I'm not saying that it's good to be obese, just posting something I found interesting.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/07/why-bmi-big-fat-scam

Yeah, BMI seems to be for people on the lighter framed side. That said, nearly all the people I know that have made it into their late 80's+ in decent health probably were in the BMI normal weight area. 5'8" and 150lbs doesn't sound cool, but at 80 you can still sling some hay bales and climb up on your tractor. The 5'8" 220lb 80 year old probably can't...
I have been in the low end of the "obese" range and it wasn't that fun really. I'm now at the low end of "over weight" at 6'1" 200lbs and I feel better, but probably my optimal weight is more like 170lb which I was when I rowed in university.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

This isn't rocket science people. We are far more overworked than we even have been before. As a result our health and relationships with one another are paying the ultimate price.

That's the biggest bunch of nonsense bantered around in this thread so far. This generation works far less than the last few generations and it's one of the reasons why this generation is so morbidly obese. Past generations didn't have time to sit in front of a television, didn't have access to easy transportation and had to walk a lot more than current generations. Farmers worked 7 days a week, and almost everyone had gardens that required daily tending. Factory workers often worked 60+ hours/week, and kids as young as 10 were often working in factories.

Stress was just as high-a factory worker had no seniority and could be hired/fired at the whim, work was hot, dirty and dangerous with little regard to safety. Stress was just as high then as it is now-imagine coming from another country, leaving your entire family behind, in order to try to establish yourself in a new country where you don't even know the language.

It's hilarious for anyone to think that this generation is "far more overworked than ever before".

Little known fact is that automakers have had to revise suspensions to accomadate this fat trend. Most cars today have spring rates that are approx 15% stiffer than a comparable car built in 2000. We've all seen cars dragging due to the occupant's weight and that's why we have air level ride suspensions and stiffer spring rates. There have been several articles and news reports showing the average weight capacity of a 5 passenger vehicle is not enough if all 5 passengers didn't weigh the "150lb" size they use. Even a mini van is easily overloaded with each person in a seat and that's before luggage. I have a friend with a Pontiac Soltice..the weight capacity is about 400lbs or less. He is 250+ and the wife atleast 200 so together they have overloaded the littel car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The many advances in technology should indicate a "more simple" society.

Increasing productivity and technology could/should have us on a 4 day work week and still live very well. Somehow though we have been moving in the opposite direction, with more women working full time, for dual family incomes just to meet basic needs.
Anyways, that's another topic I guess.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: chrisri
This phenomenon of people getting fat is not isolated to US only. To eat and to live healthy takes lot of time. I'm not sure average American can afford (the time) to cook healthy food on daily basis. You just work too much.
Croatia is very small, but is perfect example of cultural differences between coastal Mediterranean and continental,Central European part of country. Over here we try to eat healthier and people are skinnier compared to those fat [censored] from the continent. Fresh Adriatic fish, olives, olive oil, prosciutto, pancetta, fresh tomatoes and fruits. Great wines. And this food is cheap here, a kg of fresh Adiatic sardines pulled out of the sea few hours ago cost around 2-3 €.
On continent people eat less fish and their diet is consisted more of pork, bacon and other greasy food. They on average get more cardiovascular diseases too.

cheers3.gif

FINALLY someone educated and knowledgeable is chiming into this conversation. We need to look at the BIG picture. Nobody mentions the astronomical cost of living these days compared to our parent's/grandparents. Those people had FAR less money, but ate healthier and lived much more productive lives as a result. They had smaller houses, and didn't have a garage filled with useless s_it that causes you to loose sleep and put in far more overtime than what's necessary to be happy....ultimately leading to additional stress and over eating.

This isn't rocket science people. We are far more overworked than we even have been before. As a result our health and relationships with one another are paying the ultimate price.

Sometimes I look at what is happening in Japan. Many people work such extreme hours that they die from it, but there aren't many big people outside sumo wrestling.

One thing they do have are cities where you can walk to the store and bring stuff home, or take the train. Many cities in the USA were built so that people would need to depend on their cars. Sure, there are places like N.Y.C. and San Francisco, but those cities are the exception rather than the rule.

It's getting to the point now where thin people are considered super human; possessing some kind of magical powers by staying thin. . . .

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Its a big problem down in the islands as well, refined sugar and pre packaged food is a killer.

A lot of my buddies are dentists and the worst thing you can drink is Mountain Dew, it literally dissolves your teeth.
Sodas are terrible . I quit drinking them about 29 years ago and had one a while ago and just about gagged. Now days sonda are a nasty concoction of chemicals and artificial toxins.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's getting to the point now where thin people are considered super human; possessing some kind of magical powers by staying thin. . . .

Obviously when a poster said to me "one day your fat nephew will say the same to you" implying that as we age we automatically get fat. Thats just stupidity.
Being a bridge tester has become socially acceptable in American society it seems because we don't want to hurt their feelings. lol

Peoples' metabolisms slow as they age, and I'll bet there is some change in bmi as muscle degrades and is tougher to replace. But none of that is any excuse.

Even if you eat all quality, unprocessed, good foods, one can still eat too much or move too little.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Peoples' metabolisms slow as they age, and I'll bet there is some change in bmi as muscle degrades and is tougher to replace. But none of that is any excuse.

Even if you eat all quality, unprocessed, good foods, one can still eat too much or move too little.

Exactly. Anthony Robbins used to get in trouble with heavy folks because he always said if you kept your mouth closed you simply always lost weight!

I guess I have to ask why they slow?

Is it because they don't exercise as much, or even at all?

I suspect there is some slowing of the basal metabolic rate as your body produces less testosterone. But how much is simply because one rides the sofa and eats Cheetos?

I am becoming convinced that weight loss is largely (ahem) the result of diet - which is good news because it can be changed. But I need to study the topic more.

To echo other's points here - buying good food is very expensive. But it's worthwhile for your health, which will ultimately be your freedom.

Originally Posted By: NJC
I am becoming convinced that weight loss is largely (ahem) the result of diet

To a point, yes. The main culprit is sugar. The amount of sugar people in the US consume is astounding, and unprecedented in human history. And it's usually in the form of soft drinks. However, even if you drink a lot of soda pop and eat a lot of cookies, if you workout HARD routinely, you'll still lose weight. People who do physical work for a living can eat 3,000 - 4,000 calories a day and still be skin and bones. Have you ever seen a fat UPS driver?

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I guess I have to ask why they slow?

Is it because they don't exercise as much, or even at all?

I suspect there is some slowing of the basal metabolic rate as your body produces less testosterone. But how much is simply because one rides the sofa and eats Cheetos?

It slows for everyone. Regardless of work or weight control, basal metabolic rate slows.

I'm guessing that you're too young to have any first hand knowledge....

Originally Posted By: Burt
She thought a computer was analyzing what she bought and trying to make subtle suggestions.

Computers are always looking at your buying patterns, and companies share marketing data, and so on. Can't say if they did specifically in this case but on in a larger sense, they most certainly do.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
My wife and I recently transitioned to a healthy eating lifestyle.

You know what the most criminal thing is about the availability of healthy food?

My food budget QUADRUPLED. Not an exaggeration.

Horrible, processed, fatty food is CHEAP.

This needs to change.

This. Fast food, cheap, easy and tastes good. Why is it loved so much? Better education about health/fitness and food but it costs money, and those who struggle cannot afford proper food. Not an excuse for all but still, lots of factors involved here. Im 6ft6 320lbs. I can agree I have some weight to lose, but eating right and going to the gym is the way to go. Jobs are more stressful, so need to divert that with exercise not food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back