Obesity, is it the new normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Subdued
Originally Posted By: supton
My wife and I recently transitioned to a healthy eating lifestyle.

You know what the most criminal thing is about the availability of healthy food?

My food budget QUADRUPLED. Not an exaggeration.

Horrible, processed, fatty food is CHEAP.

This needs to change.

Cook more at home? Large pots of whatever, and box it up if necessary for lunches. My wife makes a great soup, and we freeze lots of it; I take a serving for lunch dip urging the week. Pasta, rice, veggies, some lean meats.

Anything of value generally costs more.

You seem to be under the assumption we don't cook.

My apologies. Most who complain about the price of food don't cook, it seems.

I think our budget is like $190/wk for a family of four, but I'm sure if we wanted to, we could half that. Drop wine, drop most meats, drop the snacks.

Family of 7 here, 3 being teenagers. Food costs for the baby are hardly a drop in the bucket so I tend to leave her out. It seems to scale with what you're saying, we're at about $350/week

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Yet my wife and I eat extremely fresh and healthy, and manage to maintain a very frugal food budget.

Add 3 teenagers and a toddler to the mix and then there's no such thing...

It's not like it's unaffordable for us, but the fact that the processed garbage is so much cheaper than real food is one of the driving factors for the obesity problem. We fell into the trap, too.

We have since rescued ourselves.

I dunno. Kids need a lot of calories. Once nutrients are met, I'm not sure that all junk food is bad. Not for active kids anyhow. Better to get calories elsewhere, but active people might need more fat, just for the calories.

It is.. based on the current guidelines probably 99% is obese. I'm 5'6 168lbs and should be 140ish if you go by the guidelines. Not sure how unless I loose most of my muscle mass! And I don't lift weight regularly.. but I can do 5 pull-ups! My wife at 5'2 is 140ish but with her bone structure at 130lbs she looks anorexic. Instead of height/weight guidelines they should start calculating body fat percentages.

Speaking on family and cost to eat healthy I bet it cost us over $200 a week and my wife is quite the chef, coupon clipper and whatever savings she can find. We only eat out every other week and sometimes can only be on a monthly basis.

This phenomenon of people getting fat is not isolated to US only. To eat and to live healthy takes lot of time. I'm not sure average American can afford (the time) to cook healthy food on daily basis. You just work to much.
Croatia is very small, but is perfect example of cultural differences between coastal Mediterranean and continental,Central European part of country. Over here we try to eat healthier and people are skinnier compared to those fat [censored] from the continent. Fresh Adriatic fish, olives, olive oil, prosciutto, pancetta, fresh tomatoes and fruits. Great wines. And this food is cheap here, a kg of fresh Adiatic sardines pulled out of the sea few hours ago cost around 2-3 €.
On continent people eat less fish and their diet is consisted more of pork, bacon and other greasy food. They on average get more cardiovascular diseases too.

Yeah, 165 was 30 years ago. Today it's 5'11" and 225-235. Four to six days a week at the gym, split between cardio and resistance training.

Of course I have a 50" chest and 36" waist. Combined with a 30" inseam, Most of me is above the waistline. oilBabe had to measure my calves and they were 18-19" just like my neck.

But I did a few 5k's last year as well as a sprint triathlon with my 16 year old daughter.

I can go out and ride my bicycle 40 miles if the weather were nice. That would take a bit over two hours.

I recall looking at photos of some of my peers from our 30th class reunion. Many look like they are my parents age, not my age. Smoking, drinking and a sedentary lifestyle does take its toll.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I'm 5'-11" and weigh 165lbs and am physically fit. I workout at the gym 2-3 times a week including weights and cardio. I eat pretty much what I want as long as it isn't complete junk. My key is high protein for muscle growth...lots of chicken, eggs, etc.

Put muscle on and exercise and you can get away sneaking a pizza or Chinese night once a week.

It's sad to see people in there 20's who have already let themselves go.

Garbage in = garbage out. Sugar is white death poison. We consume too much of it as a society. They have HFCS in our store bread and milk and everything else. Try a no soda, no junk food diet for a month and you will feel amazingly different.

Processed foods are garbage and taste so fake. Make meals at home using natural ingredients and you will feel better fuller with less and have more energy. Moderate exercise is easier to do if you have more energy and don't feel sick.

People do get fatter as they get older, and we are collectively getting older on the average. Also:

October-25-2011-13-59-28-ScreenShot20111023at2.jpg

weird-people-fat-guy-eating-huge-ha.jpg

Originally Posted By: Burt
I was in line at the grocery store and the heavy-set lady ahead of me was offended that the machine printed weight watcher coupons on the back of her receipt. She thought a computer was analyzing what she bought and trying to make subtle suggestions.

That same machine also prints out carpet cleaning coupons for people who buy dog food.

As I've heard recently, the battle between sugar and fat as what's worse for you is over and sugar won. Saturated fat in moderation is one thing but escaping the effects of sugar is a bigger battle. Which is especially true when they now put sugar and sugar by different names in everything. Things that you wouldn't expect to have high fructose corn syrup in it DO have it. Calories, hormone modifying effects...it ain't just from stuffing your face...there's a lot of chemical helpers involved.

If people cared enough and were vocal enough they could get these ingredients out of the food chain...similar to what's been happening with hydrogenated oils/fats. It might cost more to buy these products but that might be an incentive to not pick up convenient [censored] that's detrimental to your health and for which we all pay for in the billions through illness and the ever more expensive healthcare "spendocracy". What's a few million more diabetics anyway...

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
As I've heard recently, the battle between sugar and fat as what's worse for you is over and sugar won. Saturated fat in moderation is one thing but escaping the effects of sugar is a bigger battle. Which is especially true when they now put sugar and sugar by different names in everything. Things that you wouldn't expect to have high fructose corn syrup in it DO have it. Calories, hormone modifying effects...it ain't just from stuffing your face...there's a lot of chemical helpers involved.

If people cared enough and were vocal enough they could get these ingredients out of the food chain...similar to what's been happening with hydrogenated oils/fats. It might cost more to buy these products but that might be an incentive to not pick up convenient [censored] that's detrimental to your health and for which we all pay for in the billions through illness and the ever more expensive healthcare "spendocracy". What's a few million more diabetics anyway...

+1 We mostly buy our groceries from the perimeter of the store, with not too many things in plastic bottle(sugar water) or cardboard boxes.
I find as well that if you read the labels you often pick a reasonable processed food that isn't overloaded with sugar or weird stuff.
I make a habit now of bringing carrots and broccoli to work if I need a snack, so I'm not tempted to eat some baked "treat" that's got nothing but the cheapest garbage ingredients they can use in it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
In this area there are lots of bridge testers. Its that fast food, greasy foods and snacks they shove down their pie hole endlessly.
Its disgusting, i hate my fat pig nephew, the kid has no self respect. Imagine having to put a friggin towel on your shirt so the steering wheel doesn't rub a hole in it.

This fat POS shovels a family size pizza and 3 liters of coke down his throat at one sitting almost every night for starters.
2 hrs later he is making a 48 pack of chicken nuggets for himself and gets all upset if someone ask for one.
They claim he has a gland problem. lol

crackmeup2.gif
I work with a lady that is obese; she eats much the same. I overheard her talking one day about breaking up with her boyfriend and the topic went to her weight. She said she goes to the gym everyday, but the weight is a thyroid problem. Yea, sure...

People that go to the gym and lallygag around aren't going to loose weight. You have to get your heart rate up and work your [censored] off to burn calories.

Yep, I wear a HR monitor and according to the calculations, I burn about 1000 calories in an hour of hard work. So that 40 mile bike ride will be about 2000 calories burned if I'm keeping that average 20mph pace.

An indoor cycle class I go at it a bit harder. It's not like I have to ride home
smile.gif
So I'll burn 800+ in 45 minutes of work.

I admit, I don't burn as many calories during weight training. I'm in the 60-80% max heart rate range vs 80-100% for cardio training. Adding lean muscle mass means I burn more calories at rest, so it all averages out.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
In this area there are lots of bridge testers. Its that fast food, greasy foods and snacks they shove down their pie hole endlessly.
Its disgusting, i hate my fat pig nephew, the kid has no self respect. Imagine having to put a friggin towel on your shirt so the steering wheel doesn't rub a hole in it.

This fat POS shovels a family size pizza and 3 liters of coke down his throat at one sitting almost every night for starters.
2 hrs later he is making a 48 pack of chicken nuggets for himself and gets all upset if someone ask for one.

crackmeup2.gif
I work with a lady that is obese; she eats much the same. I overheard her talking one day about breaking up with her boyfriend and the topic went to her weight. She said she goes to the gym everyday, but the weight is a thyroid problem. Yea, sure...

People that go to the gym and lallygag around aren't going to loose weight. You have to get your heart rate up and work your [censored] off to burn calories.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
This phenomenon of people getting fat is not isolated to US only. To eat and to live healthy takes lot of time. I'm not sure average American can afford (the time) to cook healthy food on daily basis. You just work too much.
Croatia is very small, but is perfect example of cultural differences between coastal Mediterranean and continental,Central European part of country. Over here we try to eat healthier and people are skinnier compared to those fat [censored] from the continent. Fresh Adriatic fish, olives, olive oil, prosciutto, pancetta, fresh tomatoes and fruits. Great wines. And this food is cheap here, a kg of fresh Adiatic sardines pulled out of the sea few hours ago cost around 2-3 €.
On continent people eat less fish and their diet is consisted more of pork, bacon and other greasy food. They on average get more cardiovascular diseases too.

cheers3.gif

FINALLY someone educated and knowledgeable is chiming into this conversation. We need to look at the BIG picture. Nobody mentions the astronomical cost of living these days compared to our parent's/grandparents. Those people had FAR less money, but ate healthier and lived much more productive lives as a result. They had smaller houses, and didn't have a garage filled with useless s_it that causes you to loose sleep and put in far more overtime than what's necessary to be happy....ultimately leading to additional stress and over eating.

This isn't rocket science people. We are far more overworked than we even have been before. As a result our health and relationships with one another are paying the ultimate price.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
There's a joke: An American walks into a bar in London and orders a beer. The barkeep asks him if he's American. The American says, "How can you tell, is it my accent? The barkeep says, "No it's just that you are the fattest f__k I've ever seen."

I'm 6 feet tall and weigh 190 pounds at 18% body fat.

hotwheels

That might soon be an Old outdated joke.
At least in one way the U.K. might be the fastest GROWING member of the EU

http://www.heartspring.net/images/obesity_stats_by_country673.jpg

According to the graph, the UK's collective belly topped out around 2007 and is now shrinking, but our Candian neighbors are trying to catch up with us. Must be all that delicious putine!

hotwheels

crackmeup2.gif

Its like i tell my mother who defends this fat pig with his friggin gland trouble (the doctors already did all the test and said he has mental problems).
I never saw a fat concentration camp victim. Stop whats being shoveled down that pie hole and you will lose weight, its really that simple. Stop friggin eating!

crackmeup2.gif

Its like i tell my mother who defends this fat pig with his friggin gland trouble (the doctors already did all the test and said he has mental problems).
I never saw a fat concentration camp victim. Stop whats being shoveled down that pie hole and you will lose weight, its really that simple. Stop friggin eating!

Jeez man, so the kid has mental problems, obviously degrading him isn't helping him, why don't you try something else?

If the kid eats like that and is territorial about food then he likely has a mental issue. Trying to help and build up someone like that does a lot more for him and the world than [censored]. Sometimes it's hard to be an adult but this would probably be one of those times when it's needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back