Obesity

Seems appropriate. It has to be photoshopped.... Or else he's running 350 PSI in the tires.

g9pOl3c.jpg

There is more to the obesity problem than just simple calorie intake IMO. The quality of food we have now is simply terrible.

However all this “acceptance” and being nice is not helping the culture as a whole and especially obese people for sure. Who wins in the end? Pharma and food companies of course. But hey, being “nice” is all that matters.
When the population as an average gets heavier and heavier, you cannot blame it on genetics or a disorder just because you know “someone”. It is a real problem.

There is more to the obesity problem than just simple calorie intake IMO. The quality of food we have now is simply terrible.

However all this “acceptance” and being nice is not helping the culture as a whole and especially obese people for sure. Who wins in the end? Pharma and food companies of course. But hey, being “nice” is all that matters.
When the population as an average gets heavier and heavier, you cannot blame it on genetics or a disorder just because you know “someone”. It is a real problem.
Yes this.

I will be nice to ALL people. I don't care what YOU look like.

But don't sell us on "it's OK to be fat". NO. It's not ok to be FAT. It burdens all of us. Just like it's not OK to be hooked on drugs or be a drunk or be a smoker.

Simply: I'm NOT going to pay for YOUR messed up life, or the results of that life. Food producers don't care, nor should they I suppose. We can debate that, but people need to wake up! You can't depend on the gov, it's YOUR life.

Adults. A few around.

Yes, your doctor can call you fat because that IS his/her business. You'd feel the same if some person at the mall walked up to you and said, "Hey fatty, lose weight?"
I guess you’re also of the opinion that only doctors can call someone a male or female? The rest of us have to deny the reality and what our eyes can see because we’re not “qualified” correct?

Also, who walks up to random people and calls them names, be it fat, ugly, poor or whatever?

Fat acceptance being pushed is real, and specially for women. All these “nice” people and corporations are literally shortening these people’s lives by telling them they’re beautiful, it’s natural, healthy etc.

How “nice” and “kind” of them.

In regards to health costs. When you are brought into an emergency room with a life threatening condition, they have to treat you. Regardless of your ability to pay.

There are a lot of people who don't realize this fact. It doesn't matter if you weigh 500 pounds and are going into cardiac arrest. Or if you're a degenerate drug dealer, or gang banger who just O.D.'d, or took a few rounds to the chest.

Or an illegal border jumper 9 months pregnant, who's water just broke all over the emergency room floor. You have to be taken care of. None of these people I just described will ever pay a dime of their bills. And they have a better chance of hitting the Powerball, than they do having health insurance.

So that means everyone else pays...... One way or another. Because it's a sure bet the hospital isn't going to eat it. They would be out of business in a week in some of these border towns, or low income inner cities.

This is why fewer and fewer people can afford health insurance. And why prescription drugs are getting more and more expensive. I'm not saying they should be turned away, or left to die. But the fact is they are an unfair financial burden on everyone else.

Sooner or later something is going to give. In this regard an obese fat slob having a coronary, and requiring $150K worth of immediate bypass surgery, is just as bad as the gang banger who got himself shot full of holes by nobody knows.

It seems that our country has achieved a moderate amount of success adjusting our cultural values regarding smoking and drinking/driving. Look at the old TV shows of the 50's and 60's where everyone had a cigarette in their hand and it was acceptable and humorous for Dean Martin to always have a drink in his hand. Mothers Against Drinking and Driving was influential.

Now we need to change our cultural beliefs about healthy lifestyles. Whoa, it's gonna be difficult.

By the way, I started the NOOM program a month ago to loose about 15 pounds. It's a psychology based program to assist changing habits towards a more healthy lifestyle. Having done cognitive therapy and mindfulness training before, so far I am encouraged with the program. No absurd dieting, just adjusting to a more healthy diet, exercise, and lifestyle. Common sense, but we all know how hard it is to change lifelong habits. Look at our group here who obsess about oil, perfectly waxed vehicles, etc..

Have a good weekend everyone.

I guess you’re also of the opinion that only doctors can call someone a male or female? The rest of us have to deny the reality and what our eyes can see because we’re not “qualified” correct?

Also, who walks up to random people and calls them names, be it fat, ugly, poor or whatever?

Fat acceptance being pushed is real, and specially for women. All these “nice” people and corporations are literally shortening these people’s lives by telling them they’re beautiful, it’s natural, healthy etc.

How “nice” and “kind” of them.
It happens...I know someone who said recently someone said, "save some for the rest of us" at a restaurant. This was a 75 year old woman with major health issues. Even within this thread, people suggest someone say something to a person at the grocery store.

It's not "fat acceptance" I'm talking about here. It's outside people who have no idea what's going on in someone's life minding their own business. I have a niece who is morbidly obese who was gang raped at 13 and has been dealing with the consequences ever since. A totally normal young lady prior to that and has real issues after that and she's now 29. I'm sure you'd look at her and just see a lazy fat sloth full of excuses - my point is you KNOW NOTHING about what motivates people to engage in self-harm so shut up about it and mind your own business. Everyone has a story...

As for male and female - I DON'T CARE BECAUSE IT'S NONE OF MY BUSINESS. Whether I agree with it or not has nothing to do with it. I was born male and I live my life as a man and my wife is a very feminine female and I don't care how my neighbor chooses to live their life.

You seem to think you have me pegged as just another "liberal". In the past few days, all I've suggested between this and the 155 mph thread is following the law and the liberty to live your life as you see fit - truly American ideas. What many here have posted has been lawlessness, disregard for how their actions affect others' well-being, and the right to tell others how to live their lives.

Whether you… or I or anyone else likes it or not…

Here in the real world….

WE ALL make observations and assessments of other people around us. Routinely…. Every single day…

I saw a super hot lady the other day at the store… She had some grey hair but she was gorgeous…. Probably in her mid to late 50s and she was stunningly beautiful.

I noticed a lady walking into a store the other day and could see trouble with her gait and knew she was having hip pain and I felt bad for her. It wasn’t super obvious but it was there if you know what you are seeing.

And yes I notice the heavy weight lazy people in the electric carts in the store too.

Now I don't go around saying untoward things to perfect strangers. That’s just being rude and nasty for no real reason.

I agree with you on that.

But don’t think I don’t notice or observe people. I do. And so do you. And everyone else does for that matter.

I see fat people, thin people, tall people, short people, beautiful women, ok looking women, some ugly women, good looking guys, ok looking guys, ugly looking guys, weirdo people who are just strange in appearance. I see stuck up snobby people, nasty people, nice people, good people every day too.

Calling a spade a spade is not unusual or a bad thing in my opinion. In fact it’s exceptionally normal.

If you show me a picture of a woman who is 5 ft 1 and 535 pounds…. I’m going to call her tremendously fat… Which… she was… When I was a student we had a patient who was exactly that short and that big. And… my snooty stuck up classmate ( which she was that too by the way ) had that lady has her patient that day. Needless to say I laughed to myself as I walked by that lady’s room and my snooty stuck up classmate was trying to give that lady a bath.

However what is not good or normal behavior is being nasty, rude and downright ugly to other people for no reason whatsoever. That is different all together.
Listen, if what I actually thought could be known by others vs what actually comes out of my mouth I'd be institutionalized and so would everyone else. We are not judged based on our thoughts and no one is privy to those thoughts of others unless you choose to share those thoughts. When I say people should "mind their own business" I'm not saying don't think hey there's a fat pig, think what you want, how would I ever know you had the thought, but I am saying you have no right to make those thoughts known to that person. This is especially true if it's a stranger who you know nothing about or who you don't know their story.

There are a lot of FAT people out there. Don’t get me started on the two hippos that sat on either side of me on a recent flight across country.

Ive lifted weights and played sports my whole life. Don’t do it enough anymore (I love to swim). I remember being in high school… of course building big muscles was what it was all about… and I remember looking at a height/weight chart that characterized me as obese. Here I was, three varsity letter winner, avid weight lifter, decent shape for sure…. But the chart said I was obese.

People are smaller elsewhere. And there are a lot of very flabby people here. More so than elsewhere. But I don’t know that I trust the numbers…

YOU live in an area of the country where there is a gross amount of wealth. Much of that wealth has come from giant companies interjecting chemicals into our food, along with drug manufacturers that wouldn't have the wealth without all the problems created by the other big companies.

You have most likely benefited from all the downsides of poor health of other Americans.

In regards to health costs. When you are brought into an emergency room with a life threatening condition, they have to treat you. Regardless of your ability to pay.

In practice, several thousand dollars of tests are sometimes required to even get to the point of determining if a life threatening condition exists. Many hospitals just treat everyone in the ER regardless of whether it's life threatening or not.

Agree, the majority;
Sad part is the others have to pay higher health insurance costs because of it. There are no options and current law I do not think allows health insurance for those that weigh their proper BMI weight, have Lipid panels showing correct cholesterol in their blood, ect. to pay lower rates. Meaning a class of insured people who take care of themselves.

Americans complain about health care costs. Well, then
1. Dont eat fast food, dont eat fried food, dont eat any snack food, do not eat anything more than two meals a day, no snacks, dont drink soda of any kind, dont drink fruit juices of all kinds, in fact dont drink anything except water, coffee or tea. Dont eat any bread unless it's whole wheat.

2. Do cook your own meals, lean meats only, fish at least 3 times a week, vegetables, and very little starches (potatoes)
If you go out to dinner, an example that I do is BoneFish Grill, only grilled fish and if a steak, 6 oz with shrimp.
Even Texas Road House you can have a decent meal and skip those delicious rolls. :eek:)
Do eat a yogurt or frozen yogurt for a desert at night if you must and two pieces of fruit, even 3 pieces (to start) a day. Apples, Oranges, Bananas, anything fruit.
3. If you weight more then the BMI scale says you should then you are doing something wrong. Because two meals a day with no snacks should maintain your weight. I actually only eat dinner and very light lunch. Banana, a few nuts, water, if I go to the gym I reward myself with a small box drink Orgien, Clean Protein.

We are full of excuses in the USA, drives me NuTs at the long insane lines outside of ChickFil la EVERY SINGLE DAY of the week, its so bad now they have people in the parking lot directing traffic and still the traffic backs up onto the main road and its a HUGE parking lot! *LOL* Gosh all for garbage food.
Other fast food places, much the same, every evening cars are lined up like ducks at the drive up windows, it IS INSANE. None of this so called food has any value and people pay through the nose for the junk and we, even the healthy eaters pay the health care costs for it.
Never mind the death and destruction of the families themselves.
There are no healthy foods in fast food places. Maybe better said 95% of the people who buy food there are eating unhealthy.
We really do have a problem in this country, all we do is complain but so many unwilling to do what they know is right.

I think the only way society can change this is financially. Health insurance cost should carry an additional premium for each percentage over your maximum weight as determined by the BMI.
My thought after reading the first paragraph is perhaps health insurance should be rated like life insurance. Base it on risk. Shifting the costs to others leads to a lack of specific fiscal consequences.

There are other consequences, but if the guy who is 350# plus and whose only exercise is running off at the mouth and jumping to conclusions pays the same as the guy who weighs 160# and gets regular exercise, there may be a problem.

However, there are interests who simply want to spread the costs to others rather than build in some level of risk rating.

My thought after reading the first paragraph is perhaps health insurance should be rated like life insurance. Base it on risk. Shifting the costs to others leads to a lack of specific fiscal consequences.

There are other consequences, but if the guy who is 350# plus and whose only exercise is running off at the mouth and jumping to conclusions pays the same as the guy who weighs 160# and gets regular exercise, there may be a problem.

However, there are interests who simply want to spread the costs to others rather than build in some level of risk rating.
I could not agree more (as you can tell)

My wife works for a good company and has good insurance but this is how they approach it.
They give you/pay for the first $800 of your deductible IF you do their blood test, BP and BMI If you get 3 out 5 five you get the credit, if you dont you get no credit.

This is where it gets interesting. If you lie and put down you are not a smoker (and your are) in order to get the lower health ins rate taken out of your paycheck, well part of the above blood test is for cigarette smoking and if that shows positive your insurance goes up to the smoker rate.

I know many in here dont agree but I think BMI should be required to calculate ins rates. Even if we allow a person to have a 7% margin of an already generous BMI scale to be over.

YOU live in an area of the country where there is a gross amount of wealth. Much of that wealth has come from giant companies interjecting chemicals into our food, along with drug manufacturers that wouldn't have the wealth without all the problems created by the other big companies.

You have most likely benefited from all the downsides of poor health of other Americans.
Actually, other than maybe investments, I have no touches to either of the scenarios you describe. To the contrary, I make substantial use of our farmers market, rated as one of the best in the area, to get fresh food. It’s literally under a 24hour transit hub, so anyone could get there from dense or poorer areas.

Where I live is irrelevant. Folks living away from such an area have even less excuse because they’re closer to the source of whole, fresh foods.

Eating chemical-laden junk is a decision. Being lazy is a decision.

Where I live is irrelevant.

It's very relevant to the sorts of people who want to point a finger at what they believe is the reason why the area they live in isn't doing so well.

I see it in Virginia--some people who live in RoVA (rest of Virginia) love to blame NoVA (Northern Virginia) for all of the state's problems.

Seems to escape those sorts of folks that the state capital, Richmond, ain't in NoVA.

I live in a state that made lots of money growing tobacco.
I live in an area that produces wine, and we all know what alcohol can do to you.

As an aside, after I retired I poured wine for fun at a local winery. It was a disappointing experience. Most people are friendly but a surprising number are total idiots; especially the ones who liked to show off with their so called wine knowledge. And then you have the swishers, who look like they're gargling with the wine while they taste it. It's kind of gross. One afternoon I was working with a young woman who was serving a group. The man in the group literally grabbed the wine bottle right out of her hand and filled up his glass to the rim, staring her down with a look of "What are you going to do about it?". Being an alpha male, and a big physically fit alpha male at 6'5" and 230 pounds and gifted with the ability to make a truly menacing, dangerous looking face (it's all in the eyes), I walked over and unflinchingly stared him down and demanded he effing leave; which he did with his little flock of 3 or 4 low rent female trash. Pouring and tasting wine is romanticized in the movies but in my opinion it sucked. I was amazed too how many people had bad breath after a day of tasting wine.

But the one thing that amazed me most, late in the afternoon I think 90% of the wine tasting tourists were DUIs. Designated drivers were one in a hundred.

Scott

Last edited:
I think the lack of access to healthy food thing is just a trick.

there’s nothing cheaper than raw food. Raw veggies are healthy and cheap. Cheaper than a quarter pounder. And I can buy hamburger and make one cheaper than at McDs. Of course I don’t get a garbage bun, salty fries or a sugar laden drink.

I stayed on an Indian reservation last summer. The reservation was larger than the state of Connecticut. It had nothing much there. You literally drove 50 miles or bought at a gas station. Sad. But there were still reasonable choices that were cheaper than fast or fried food.

I attribute it more to laziness. And lazy folks tend to do less of what? Activity….. exercise… labor…

Of course if you want to be a pawn in class warfare, go right ahead with how hard poor folks have it to get cheaper fresh foods. I live in a highly dense area, I’ve seen a lot of cities. It’s there. People just dont want to offend. And there is a real fraction of people with metabolic issues or injuries that affect their ability to do much… but that again Is a different story.
I don't disagree with you. What really happens is, there will be lazy people in every walk of life, and one environment will turn these lazy people obese and the other will let them stay healthy.

It's very relevant to the sorts of people who want to point a finger at what they believe is the reason why the area they live in isn't doing so well.

I see it in Virginia--some people who live in RoVA (rest of Virginia) love to blame NoVA (Northern Virginia) for all of the state's problems.

Seems to escape those sorts of folks that the state capital, Richmond, ain't in NoVA.
But NoVa has quite a bit more population density vs most of the rest of the state, hence the target on their back. Wife grew up in Nokesville...small world :)

Back