Obesity, is it the new normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im with you malfunctionProne although i am considered a little over weight at 6 ft. 195-200 i happen to like my people beefy also.. There are some good things about being a chub such as in a car accident the bigger you are the better chance at survival in most cases.

This thread reminds me of a recent episode of The Simpsons:
hHT5bvU.png

PgONaaP.jpg

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Im with you malfunctionProne although i am considered a little over weight at 6 ft. 195-200 i happen to like my people beefy also.. There are some good things about being a chub such as in a car accident the bigger you are the better chance at survival in most cases.

This is a case where correlation is not causality.

It's not being fat that helps you survive in a car crash, it's the increase in muscle and bone mass that correlates with greater crash victim weight that makes them more likely to survive.

But for you personally, packing on the lbs won't help. It makes your bone structure have to handle greater momentum/forces in the crash and can cause greater injury. Being a chub hurts your chances.

Lose some weight, increase your bone mass and muscle mass through resistance training, and you'll be more likely to survive.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: NJC
I am becoming convinced that weight loss is largely (ahem) the result of diet

To a point, yes. The main culprit is sugar.

I would agree to add that qualifier. For years fat was the great villain instead of sugar. I also feel weight gain after eating white flour products (pizza, cinnamon buns etc).

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's getting to the point now where thin people are considered super human; possessing some kind of magical powers by staying thin. . . .

Yes; that trope that models in magazines are not "real women." Ha. The models are just as 3-D as the non-models; if you pinch 'em they'll squeal. It sounds like an excuse for the obese ones to complain and get sympathy.

Miss Linda and I were at dinner on Valentine's Day, at a nice local restaurant. She and I were well outnumbered by the overweight, both young and old. One group of 4 women came trooping into the restaurant. I won't say any more except to mention the word "buffalo."

Look at pictures of Americans from earlier decades, like the 1930s (which was a very stressful time) or the 1960s. You'll be struck by how trim, or at least un-obese, nearly everyone is.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
I won't say any more except to mention the word "buffalo."

The term is "buffarilla," head of a buffalo, body of a gorilla.

You're welcome. 8-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back